Let's Hope the iMac Doesn't Look Like This Dell

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac_gal, Aug 6, 2004.

1. macrumors member

So I've read the Thinksecret, etc. reports that claim the iMac will look like a pizza box, with the CPU unit mounted behind the monitor. (Note: I don't know exactly how this is a pizza box, but this is how it has been described.)

Anyway, I got the Dell catalog today and there's new Dells (Optiplex SX280, SX270) that kinda match the "CPU behind the LCD" description. It seems that you can hook the unit onto the LCD, or unhook it and use it as you would a tower.

I see the benefits of this design, but I think it's hideous.

Do you think the new iMac will be of a similar form factor? :(

-----

EDIT: That image is from Dell's site

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    YUCK YUCK YUCK thats all i can say

3. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh my...that LCD looks like it has legs and is wearing a backpack. :p

4. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't mind one, neat, compact, good specs.

5. Guest

garybUK

6. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

7. macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Ahhh, Dell -- incapable of good design, even when they're shamelessly copying it.

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors 65816

If a designer at Apple came up with such a design, he would be fired on the spot :D

10. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

didn't Ive or Jobs once said, that placing the cd/dvd drive vertically would create performance problems?

that is why i cannot imagine how the new imac would have it's cpu etc. behind the screen.

11. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, I can't wait for Apple's version of this to come out so that Mac sheep can start talking about how everyone else is copying their designs and ideas. ;)

12. macrumors 6502a

With a resolution of 1280 x 768, that thing is absolutely useless as a computer display. This is just a novelty concept that Apple would never "copy".

13. macrumors 68020

dubbz

*shug* It's no piece of art, but it looks fine to me. Whouldn't buy it myself though. I'd rather build my own comp, with a small Shuttle box and a LCD... It whould look better, too.

14. macrumors 6502

davecuse

I don't know why everyone thinks this is such a hideous design, it's really not that bad. Also did anyone catch the price tag? It starts at $494, granted that is pretty bare bones, but definitely appealing. If you could pre-order with no OS it could be a pretty good Linux box.

15. macrumors 6502

Hmmm, the Powerbook is 1280 x 854, do 86 pixels make so much difference?

This thing is out of the optiplex line, it's geared towards doctor office receptionists, task workstations, that sort of thing.

That's actually quite a nice little package for that sort of environment. Small, cheap, fast enough to run your average vertical market app + basic office stuff, a 1280 x 768 LCD is quite luxurious for that sort of thing.

It's not supposed to be an iMac clone, it's not even in the same market.

16. macrumors 68040

MattG

Ugh--we're getting a bunch of those at the school where I work. Those really are fugly aren't they :eek:

17. macrumors 603

gekko513

View from more angles. It looks like something a mechanic with an itch for building "smart" contraptions would build in his garage. Also looks as easy to break as such contraptions :D

18. macrumors 6502

belair

Yak thats an ugly pc

But I am shure it will sell well.

It's perfect for small office desks. Makes more room in a cubical. :eek:

The purpose of it can not be to be beautiful ( I mean look at it) but to be efficient in small workplaces.

The imac will not look like this, no way.

19. macrumors 6502a

I was talking about that Alienware 30" beast the other poster mentioned. 1280x768 on a 30" screen is useless for computing, though I guess it's ok for TV.

20. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Not that big a deal, anymore. Vertical or horizontal, they're all pretty fast, and most people don't run apps from CDs these days; just copy and load to computer. Interestingly, though, the Dell site doesn't offer speed data for CD/DVD drives for this model.

21. macrumors 6502a

when you use it as a tv... you won't sit up there with your nose against the screen for computing... more like at least 3meters away... so 1280x768 will do just fine to work on from a distance like that... you need to know this is an entertainment system and for video, audio, gaming and internet... you won't need more than 1280x768 for all those purposes... I wouldn't use it for professional use... I need allso bigger workspace (2screens on myG5 right now...)

22. macrumors 68000

atari1356

23. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

the playstation 2 can be put on its side, it doesn't give any performance benefits or drawbacks. it works fine, you can also get swanky hi-fi stereo cd players which put the cds on the side.

24. macrumors member

We have these in the library here at UMass for use as catalog computers and research stations. Its similar to the one already posted, with a smaller CPU on the back. I think they are pretty slick for what the school needs, and perfect for setting up 30-40 computers in as small an area as possible.

25. Guest

it's amazing how M$ can even copy the apple desktop picture......