Let's hope this is a good omen

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

ABC News link

This is somewhat remarkable in that:

• DeWine falls on the "moderate" side of the Republican party;
    • As the incumbent, he is known statewide;
    • Sherrod Brown was relatively unknown outside his own (northern Ohio) district;
    • Brown is an avowed liberal and not ashamed to say it;
    • Brown started distantly behind DeWine, then pulled even, and is now pulling ahead...
    • ...this despite the fact that DeWine has been running a heavy ad rotation portraying DeWine as strong on national defense and Brown as weak.
    If this poll is to be believed, even moderate Republicans are not safe. Much as I like Sherrod Brown, he hasn't done anything really huge to win people over to his side, aside from pointing out how lousy Ohio's job market is. I don't think that alone is what's sending his stock continually upward.

Perhaps Brown is being carried by a wave of overall rejection of the Republican party in Ohio (our gov't here is almost all Republican, and many of them are corrupt). But I prefer to think that this extends past Ohio, and indicates the Democrats' growing chance of success in November.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ohio is a special case because of just how corrupt the GOP has been there. Yes, there is some national implication to the GOPs woes there, but a good part of it is just how badly the Ohio GOP has screwed the pooch, so to speak.

Rumors are that the GOP is bailing on Ohio, and is concentrating it's Senate firewall strategy instead on Virginia, Tennesee, and Minnesota instead.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...Then again, Ken Mehlman is denying that the GOP is abandoning Ohio, just Ken Blackwell in particular.

Don't know if I believe him or not.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like a little of both:

Adelphia news link

It's little things like the GOP suddenly getting nervous about some previously safe House seats that get me enthused. It's very hard not to count my chickens before they're hatched, but most of the momentum seems to be on the Democrats' side.

There was even that ridiculous Bush confab today with right-wing radio talk show hosts. The fact that he feels the need to rely on them to rally the troops is indicative of the kind of trouble the GOP is in.