Let's make a master iCHAT DIRECTORY? hmmm

Discussion in 'Community' started by About2SwitchOvr, Apr 12, 2004.

1. About2SwitchOvr macrumors regular

I'm a Mac newbie, and love it. I just saw the thread and saw the lack of iChat usage (but that's only for those who actually posted)

I was wondering if macrumors members would entertain the idea of publishing their IM names, with a brief description of themselves/location/industry?

I'll go ahead with mine.. Hopefully they'll be other! :)

AIM: ShakeYaDonky, Boston, MBA student.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

AIM: -----, Providence, Student

I'm a fairly boring person that likes macs and trains.

edit: AIM name deleted

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

About2SwitchOvr, you and anybody else interested in chatting can edit your MacRumors profile to include your ICQ number, AIM screen name, MSN messenger handle, and/or Yahoo messenger handle. Then people can contact you by clicking an icon under your name next to any of your posts. And you can put info about your interests in your profile and in a (short) signature that will appear under each post.

To edit your profile, you can click "User CP" at the top of this page and then click "Edit Profile". You'll see the place to fill in your contct info.

As a sample of the icons people will see, look at this post by applemacdude. Hover over the icons to see what each one is for.

And no, I wasn't recommending that you acutally chat applemacdude; he's just somebody with all four of them set so I picked his post to show you the icons!

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i have all four, no? :(
    Anyway, i noticed the lack of places to enter your Jabber/Trepia stuff...bah...

anyway, if you're too lazy to click, my sn is aaplgoddess (AIM) and you can find more about me @ this place

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

6. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

As much as I love MacRumors, I think I have enough people on my IM list allready.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

...until you realize its not going to work because they make you pay for the elite crud ($10?! maybe if it was ad free it would be nice, but ONLY FOR SOME CRUMMY OPTIONS that a lot of other websites offer for free...) and only want 18+ year olds. Leaves out a whole bunch of totally awesome people. So its not really global. :)
    Just my rant, I signed up for only one and I keep getting bombarded with IMs from all sorts of people from pervs to really nice people to old classmates. Some of them are just awful though, its like they dont know what an autoreply is or they're perverted, asking some explicit questions, et cetera.

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

the basic profile there is free. i dont care for the paid one - i am not looking for love in there. well the 18 y limit is a bit stupid, of course you could always lie that you are 18 ..

10. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Ahoy Uber

I saw that you have all 4 services... What program do you use to mesh all of them together? I used to use Trillian with my PC.. but since I got the mac... I try not to install PC based progs in it (want my mac to keep it's pure aura). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

nobody i know uses ICQ, so nothing for that
    but for jabber/trepia/aim/msn/yahoo i use adium
    I really like tabbed chatting and the unbelievable customizability :)

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mine is Resurgerro. It used to be Resurgo until some mix up with AOL deleting it when I cancelled my service even though I had the screen name registered with AIM before. I also have Resurgo@mac.com but don't use that one as much since not many have it. As far as about myself, I am 21 and live in Saint Augustine, Florida where I am studying philosophy, religion, and pre-law and work part/full time at the Saint Augustine Art Glass Gallery on historic Saint George street.

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

AMEN!

i looooooove adium... have been using it for like three years now. :D such a nice app

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't use iChat because all my real-life friends use MSN. So, without further ado, my MSN address is chris@nzweb-nospam.net. Make sure you remove the -nospam :)

I've got an always-on connection, so if you message me and I don't reply, it's probably because I'm asleep or something ;) I'm usually awake between 9pm and 11am GMT. Speaking of which, I should probably get some sleep because it's 11:30 and I'm tired :(

16. About2SwitchOvr thread starter macrumors regular

Downloaded Adium.. THANKS for the info

I just hopped on their website.. and saw the interface.. wow.. very slick.. I'm at work now, so I gotta try this puppy out at home. Thanks again for the delightful hints!

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

thanks i didnt even know about adium...it looks nice.....icq sucks no one i know uses it

18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I wonder if they increased the maximum number of buddies that you can have on AIM?

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I tried Adium maybe 4 months ago and it always crashed on me so I trashed it and I've been using iChat exclusively. It would crash every time I tried to open its preferences so I am not sure if it was just a particular bug in that one build I downloaded or what, but it was a bit annoying to have to deal with.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

maybe you got one of the buggy alphas. Adium right now is pretty stable and very nice...give it one more try :)
    Adium v0.52 is like...ambrosia...I've been hoping that Trillian might be ported to Mac OS X but Adium is so much more nicer .....:)

I think they might have done something to the max number of buddies. Usually at around 150 i'd get error messages, but not anymore (It's at around 170 for aaplgoddess). And my buddy list has grown thanks to the Orphans group thing (in adium)...
    Then again, i use two AIM screennames at the same time, so i dunno.