Lets Not complain about ipod mini prices anymore hehe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by theipodgod16, Mar 1, 2004.

1. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it doesn't look too good either! so many buttons!

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you need a flash (=will never skip) based player with a gig, then it is pretty much the only choice. and the price is fair - 512 MB flash memories go for at least $100 and 1 GB is even more expensive...

not sure if there's much market for such a device, especially at such high prices, though...

4. Edot macrumors 6502

There is a thread about the mini not skipping for hours of running.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Looks like a small tin of tuna chunks.

I could stare at that for hours and my jaw would only drop when it was time for my medication. :)

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sure, but my point was, by design, flash-based players will never skip. the same can't be said for any HD-based players.

7. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I totally agree. There are threads about people who use their regular iPod everyday without it ever skipping. A good friend of mine uses his everyday on his run and sure enough about 25 minutes in has problems. He has had it looked at by Apple and everything is fine. Just a drawback to HD based devices. Of course, flash memory wears out relatively quickly compared to HD, both have their pro and cons. The should not really be compared on a price per GB basis.

8. Edot macrumors 6502

Does he have an iPod mini? Yes the iPods are known to skip, but the mini has a different drive in a different enclosure. I don't think you can say that because the iPod skips that the mini does. Yes you are right that flash players don't skip, but $200 and minus 3GB is a lot to pay for a POSSIBLE advantage in skip protection.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

they are...? i run about 50 miles a week and have never ever once had my iPod skip... wierd...

10. richland macrumors member

Wow, 50 miles? :eek:

11. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I posted last weekend about the mini not skipping with run times hovering around 1 hour and it still hasn't skipped. To be honest, I'm amazed. I'm not scaling talus slope or anything but I feel like the whole skip-and-reset issue is what may be holding people back from a purchase.

What sets the iPod and the mini apart from all the dregs of the PC world - including that Creative one that can double as a rectal thermometer - is the seamless integration with iTunes. Apple makes the player and the software whereas the Dell DJ is made by Creative, slapped together at Dell and then recommended for use with MusicMatch. 3 companies = too many cooks ruining the broth.

12. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

That's not that much. It'd be about 7 miles a day. Quite doable...