Lets Play-Negotiation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Nov 30, 2004.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Article

OMG :eek:

WTG EU- Good try. But read the next 2 paragraphs!

So they are happy to talk about these things as long as it does'nt stall the actual building of facilities

NO KIDDING! Really, golly gee. Could it be they learned how to negotiate from the N Koreans?

So while fighting off a near revolution recently, they march on to nukes. I give it a max of 6 months, if they don't back down, Israeli's will make a quick non-stop flight deliver some packages. There is always hope I guess.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If Israel did such a thing, it would inflame the entire region. (Yeah, I know, but believe me, it can get worse.)

If the United States did it, on the other hand.... :rolleyes:

More likely, since we're overstretched already, we'll do nothing, and call it a consistent foreign policy.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What's the point of negotiating when both parties have God on their side? If it wasn't theoretically the same God, I'd suggest the deities slug it out without their proxies. However, with the same guy supporting the Jews, the Christians and the Muslims, this War of the Theocracies becomes a Theatre of the Absurd.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4054069.stm
    Lessons to be learned?

Perhaps sticking two fingers up at the world has a downside. I'm talking about the US, not Iran, by the way...

5. Zaid macrumors 6502

Lets all just remember that Iran is well within its legal rights (in terms of its treaty obligations) to develop facilities for the use of nuclear power for peaceful uses. And that includes uranium enrichment operations (without which Iranian nuclear power plants would be dependent on foreign fuel sources).

Also there has been no evidence produced, whatsoever, to indicate that Iran is diverting any nuclear material to any weapons programmes. In fact all the evidence is pointing in the opposite direction.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who cares what the evidence says? They're the Axis of Evil™, thats all you need to know.

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It would be more understandable if Iran had energy needs, but it does not. There is really only one reason for them to develope enriched uranium, and that kind of weapon in a terrorist state is not good. It is bad enough that the previous president has allowed NK to develope its program, Iran in bed with NK, does not need to join that club. I don't believe the Israeli's will allow it either, no matter what the US says officially or not.

But to blatently say they are just negotiating basically for fun, is plain scary too.
    Need a new titular head for the UN, that wouldn't hurt.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't get where Israel comes into this discussion. I've heard plenty of anti-American rhetoric coming from Iran over the past 25 years, but I don't know that I've heard any anti-Israel rhetoric currently or in the recent past. Iranians may be mostly Islamic, but they are not Arabs, so they've got little stake in the historical Arab-Israel conflict. If I've missed anything, please enlighten.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's bad enough that this president has allowed both North Korea and Iran to proceed with their nu-cu-lar programs uninhibited while attacking the only member of the AxisOfEvil WITHOUT the capability to develope nukes, but now when we say we have evidence that Iran is actively pursuing nu-cu-lar weapons no one believes us because of the way he mishandled the Iraq situation. Really? I though I heard a fable about that phenomenon once...

And while we run around telling the rest of the world not to develop nu-cu-lar weapons, we are researching and building what folks? And you wonder why the world finds us so arrogant.

11. Zaid macrumors 6502

Actually there is a reasonable reason why Iran would want nuclear power.
    Iran's economy is very dependent on oil exports, leaving it very vulnerable to fluctuations on that market which obviously are now in its favour. Also the dependency on a single comodity limits the potencial for long term economic growth which is desperately needed in Iran It's also a good strategic move for them to want to diversify their economy. As their economy diversifies and new industries develop, their energy requirements increase. Now they can't consume more of their own oil, because that would reduce the oil income that is paying for the diversification of the economy.

So why not use another energy source that they have quite a bit of; Uranium.

Also there is more than one reason to develop uranium enrichment programs. Why would they want to have to buy the fuel for their nuclear reactors if they have uranium deposits themselves. It makes much more sense to develop the capability to create the fuel themselves.

12. Zaid macrumors 6502

They are still muslims and as such feel a bond of brotherhood and sympathy with the palestinians. Iran does not officially recognise the state of Israel

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, perhaps, but they are delinked from pan-Arabism, which was Saddam's claim to Middle Eastern power, and AFAIK, Iran doesn't make the kind of hostile noises towards Israel that would provoke Israel into making a preemptive strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Hmmmm...NO reason other than atomic weapons? Thats a bit specious.

And what qualifies Iran as a terrorist state, anyway? Do Saudi Arabia and Pakistan fall in the same category? If so, why the lack of concern over Pakistan's nuclear activities? If not, what makes Iran different?

Hold on there, cowboy! What has the current president done differently from Clinton that HAS curbed their nuclear activity? What SHOULD have Clinton done differently? War? Strategic strikes? How would China have reacted?

Now this is interesting. Why is Israel allowed to possess and develop nuclear weapons, but Iran is not? Why does the US sanction Israel's aggressive behavior but cracks down on Iran?

Lots of questions...

Taft

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Some one correct if I'm wrong but didn't Israel blowup Saddams Nuke reactor 10+ yrs ago! A quick trip in the middle of the night with a few jets.

If Iran wants to enrich for peaceful purposes, why the stall? Why not just say sure everybody install the cameras, no biggy! That is why there is fear and suspicion.

Israel with nukes and neighbors w/o is a double standard, I agree.
    But it doesn't make me want more countries with them either.

16. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Israel did blow up one of Saddam's reactors a while back.

If I had to guess at Iran's motivations, I'd say they are trying to play the same game Saddam and Israel played about their weapons. Both countries were very secretive about development of their weapons in an attempt to keep their enemies guessing. As a matter of fact, no-one is 100% sure that Israel HAS nuclear weapons. People presume they do, but they answer no questions about it.

Saddam played the same game (we don't have any weapons...or DO WE?!?!?) and his country ended up invaded. Now Iran seems to be playing that game along with North Korea.

Its amazing in today's world of high-tech spy equipment that this kind of posturing is still so important. It is still so easy to bury and disguise weapons programs and to pretend there is a program when nothing really exists that acting is still an important part of any world leader's job.

Taft

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You make a good point. Diversification has other benefits as well, like providing jobs for all those college graduates and increasing wages. Sure, they could have done this a different way and I'd rather see them devote their resources to something like solar energy but who are we to dictate to Iran where their priorities lie?

The oil in the ME isn't going to last forever and the Iranians unlike the Sauds are trying to diversify.