Lets put the newfound niceness to work

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, this is an example of how those of us on the right of center get jaded by the press. On Sunday on 60 minutes that network edited the video in such a way that it appeared as if Bob Woodward said that the US (Bush administration) had made a secret deal with the Saudi's to raise the price of gas over the summer before the election, and then lower it in time for the election.

Last night on Larry King, King (who we know is very liberal) asked Woodward about the matter.

"I don't say there's a secret deal or any collaboration on this," Woodward told CNN's "Larry King Live" Monday. "What I say in the book is that the Saudis ... hoped to keep oil prices low during the period before the election, because of its impact on the economy. That's what I say."

Here is the link http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/20/bush.oil/index.html

Now, I don't think Bush is an angel, you guys know that. I am not wanting to compare this to things Bush has done, what I am saying is this is why we don't trust the press. Even though the man that supposedly said there was a secret deal is saying, there never was one, Nancy Pelosi and other leading democrats are sending letters to the White House demanding an explination, Kerry is tooting this horn as loud as he can. This is why we become jaded to the news,

ALTHOUGH, I have to say I am very proud of *** C****** N*** N****** for breaking the story about it not being true.

*edited for material offensive to those who are left of center* :D

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

We all get jaded by the press - left or right-leaning - it is all too often sensationalized for interest/ratings. Unfortunately, I do know many people who do trust the press as presenters of 'fact'. I could speculate on why that is, but the point is, once stories like this come out, the damage is done, regardless of its' basis in truth. I posted a thread about a Bush commercial claiming Kerry would spend $900 Billion in 100 days...is that true? Probably not, but I can think of a lot of voters that will remember it as such, even with a (possible) retraction. I wish the media would become more accountable for their actions, and would like to see the banning of political advertisements on TV, radio and the like. In my opinion, we are a lazy group of voters right now and shoudn't be force-fed this drivel...if you want to be an 'informed' voter, take the time out to carefully read the candidates position(s) in a format that requires mental exertion beyond the 30 - second mark. At least read the paper...sorry for the rant, but I as most people, like to stay somewhat informed, and don't appreciate being overrun by glossy soundbites, catchphrases and editing techniques...in short I feel your pain.

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

The "newfound niceless" didn't even last through your entire post.

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes it did. I like CNN, but we all know that is their nickname. It isn't an insult, it isn't a jab, it was just a little joke thrown into a post.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bttm - i'm trying to understand at what you're bristling. is it the use of the phrase "secret deal?" or that anyone is reading anything into it at all? i think they're two different things.

it's been plain from the start, to me anyway, that there's nothing secret about it. everything is above board. and there doesn't seem to be much of a "deal" either, at least from a transaction ledger perspective. so the phrase "secret deal" does seem to be off-base.

but when i look at the motivations, i think the (promised) action speaks for itself. bush is friendly w/ the saudi royal family, and even in the CNN article, we've got this:
    it's no secret that bandar wants bush re-elected. he says it's because he always supports the incumbent (which i can't quite suss out as a proper reason), but i have strong suspicions it's because of the friendship. and i also strongly suspect that that has something to do w/ saudi arabia being spared in the war on terror.

secret deal? no. transparent motivations? yes.

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, according to Woodward, and the Prince that were interviewed last night, that the Saudi's have always tried to do this during elections. Going all the way back to Carter. Kerry knows that, and yet he tried to politicize something that would be true even if he were the President. That is my point, and you are right they are blowing the "secret deal" thing out of the water.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You don't suppose the Saudis would want to see Dubya reelected over Kerry do you? Deep in their heart of hearts?

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I really don't think it matters. This country is going to keep kissing their ass until we develop alternative fuels. Point is they did if for Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton twice, and now all of a sudden it is a secret deal. You see my point?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Personally I'd like to see some proof of their claim that they always boost production during a presidentail campaign. I don't trust the Saudis farther than I can throw them.

And even so, I still think it's rotten of them to interfere in our elections, even if they do it every time.

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I thaught you guys referred to it as the Communist News Network. Or is that just in Texas? :p

Anyhow, I find all TV news in the States to be really bad. It's presented like entertainment. :eek:

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I can agree with that, and I think that it goes both ways. It is just out of control really.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You know it's bad when the normal everyday media's hijinks is starting to make the legal profession look like saints.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'd never heard it until 2 minutes ago..

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

today was the first i'd heard that, too. kind of odd, since CNN tends to be bush-apologetic, imo.

15. wwworry macrumors regular

60 minutes stinks. Whenever they are giving someone a hard time that person does not seem to get the makeup attention that the hosts gets so the interviewee is always sweating and the host is always very cool looking. But the biggest thing that bugs me is the soft focus on the older female hosts so they look younger.

At least we know now that interest rates and gas prices will go up after the election. Probably by a lot. The deficit strikes back.

Buy your home now while you have a chance!

16. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Guess that means they never heard of PMSNBC either.

17. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

No, the two terms are unrelated.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Unless you're a fan of Rush "Dope Fiend" Limbaugh. That's the only place I've ever heard it. I'm beginning to understand why SH's views are so out of touch. It appears he's been listening to AM.