Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
OK run it in 32bit? Just curious if there was an obscene 64-bit boosting. Hard to swallow that a 2007 Mac with 1st gen Quad chips beats everything released from 2008-2009, the current i7 3.4GHz iMac and ALL the Macbook pro's to this point. The SSD, Memory, and GPU would make little to no difference.

Ok I'll do that tonight, just wanted to show you the details to show I wasn't just making it up.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Ok I'll do that tonight, just wanted to show you the details to show I wasn't just making it up.

Understand. But how were you able to run a tryout in 64-bit? It wont let me. And your insane Mac almost beats my W3680 in 32-bit. So that now includes most 2010 Mac Pro's that it beats as well.

edit:
But it does keep in line with the GB database. Hmmm. Mind blown brother! If you feel the need to retest in 32 go for it. Otherwise apologies for fib insinuations. You made an amazing marathon purchase!

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
30,000 geekbench score... ok, that's pretty hopeful, but it would be cool to jump up 50% after waiting 3 years for an update. If the next MacPro would hit that speed, it would be a machine to last a decade unless you are doing ultra-high processing for video/animations.

Anybody else definitely buying the new tower when it comes out, and already putting money away for it? :)

I am semi-planning to buy the next update. It's on the fence because I wonder what is coming. If the next Pro has Thunderbolt and USB3, I am almost there. If it has two processors and costs no more than current models, I am a hair from buying.

The case design doesn't really bother me. If they keep this design, no prob, but if they trim it down 33% ... boffo. Even if they ditch the optical interior space, I have no problem because I can use the old tower here via wireless for the few times I use optical through the year. The kind of compacting and miniaturization going on in all other Apples is unseen in the Pro; it would be welcome to reduce the motherboard down into a postcard or two.

If I don't buy the 2013 Pro, I will almost certainly buy the 2015/16 Pro. Haswell Pros should be cooking. However, my 1,1 dual processor is still quite good and should be good through 2014.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
30,000 geekbench score... ok, that's pretty hopeful, but it would be cool to jump up 50% after waiting 3 years for an update. If the next MacPro would hit that speed, it would be a machine to last a decade unless you are doing ultra-high processing for video/animations.

I am semi-planning to buy the next update. It's on the fence because I wonder what is coming. If the next Pro has Thunderbolt and USB3, I am almost there. If it has two processors and costs no more than current models, I am a hair from buying.

The case design doesn't really bother me. If they keep this design, no prob, but if they trim it down 33% ... boffo. Even if they ditch the optical interior space, I have no problem because I can use the old tower here via wireless for the few times I use optical through the year. The kind of compacting and miniaturization going on in all other Apples is unseen in the Pro; it would be welcome to reduce the motherboard down into a postcard or two.

If I don't buy the 2013 Pro, I will almost certainly buy the 2015/16 Pro. Haswell Pros should be cooking. However, my 1,1 dual processor is still quite good and should be good through 2014.

Ivy Bridge has been around a while, and Haswell is being released between March and June of 2013. I bet you the next Mac Pro will be Haswell.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Ivy Bridge has been around a while, and Haswell is being released between March and June of 2013. I bet you the next Mac Pro will be Haswell.

Haswell Workstation CPU's are slated for Q3 '13. The inevitable Intel delay will bring them Q2 '14..the 13 MP be a bump if Haswell is the goal.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Haswell Workstation CPU's are slated for Q3 '13.

The Xeon E3 Haswell are targeted for Q3 '13. The Haswell E5 are not. Q3 '13 is when Ivy Bridge E5 would show up; not Haswell. Haswell is likely somewhere in 2014-15 unless Intel completely reverse their update frequency.

The E3 series is based on a variant of the mainstream processor design. Substantially less PCI-e lanes on the package ( only 20 instead of 40 on E5's) and substantial die space devoted to integrated graphics.

Apple doesn't have a workstation based on E3's ...... yet. A decent chance one may show up in 2013, but it wouldn't be the heir of the current Mac Pro. It could another smaller variant to plug the hole in the price gap between iMac and Mac Pro. When the iMacs update this Summer-Fall we'll see if the gap gets bigger or smaller. Smaller would reduce the likelihood from "low" to "very small".

The inevitable Intel delay will bring them Q2 '14..the 13 MP be a bump if Haswell is the goal.

The Ivy Bridge E5's should not delay much because primarily just a shrink. (and a few more cores in some instances ). No new chipset. So there is much less for Intel to FUBAR there.

If the mainstream Haswell launch sputters then Intel will move out the Ivy E5's on time because will want to fill Quarter financials with better numbers.... and frankly because they will be arrive considerably later than the mainstream variants did.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Ivy Bridge xeons haven't been released yet.

Shhh. Don't tell Intel. Everything marked "v2" on this page is Ivy Bridge.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59137/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-Family/server

At least not the ones that would be used in Mac Pros.

There are a decent sized number of people in the "I would be OK with the iMac with Thunderbolt if I didn't have to buy the screen, could replace drives , and had a slot for a new GPU every couple of years". An E3 Mac Pro would make relatively easy to do. It wouldn't be price overlapped with the iMac, but there definitely folks that would buy one.

Whether that needs yet another name or just as suffix "Mac Pro shorty" is debatable.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The Xeon E3 Haswell are targeted for Q3 '13. The Haswell E5 are not. Q3 '13 is when Ivy Bridge E5 would show up; not Haswell. Haswell is likely somewhere in 2014-15 unless Intel completely reverse their update frequency.

The E3 series is based on a variant of the mainstream processor design. Substantially less PCI-e lanes on the package ( only 20 instead of 40 on E5's) and substantial die space devoted to integrated graphics.

Apple doesn't have a workstation based on E3's ...... yet. A decent chance one may show up in 2013, but it wouldn't be the heir of the current Mac Pro. It could another smaller variant to plug the hole in the price gap between iMac and Mac Pro. When the iMacs update this Summer-Fall we'll see if the gap gets bigger or smaller. Smaller would reduce the likelihood from "low" to "very small".

The Ivy Bridge E5's should not delay much because primarily just a shrink. (and a few more cores in some instances ). No new chipset. So there is much less for Intel to FUBAR there.

If the mainstream Haswell launch sputters then Intel will move out the Ivy E5's on time because will want to fill Quarter financials with better numbers.... and frankly because they will be arrive considerably later than the mainstream variants did.

That may be the case, it was an article I breezed over at OCN I'm not sure enough to hold a the line on it...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
images

(Oh, and my bank account is on standby.)

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
Understand. But how were you able to run a tryout in 64-bit? It wont let me. And your insane Mac almost beats my W3680 in 32-bit. So that now includes most 2010 Mac Pro's that it beats as well.

edit:
But it does keep in line with the GB database. Hmmm. Mind blown brother! If you feel the need to retest in 32 go for it. Otherwise apologies for fib insinuations. You made an amazing marathon purchase!

Here you go. Make some sense of that for me! Not bad for an old girl!:D

32 bit - 10480
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/952248

64 bit - 11580
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/952272

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
specs on your hack?

Hey it's an SR-2 with 3.2GHz X5679 Xeons
Air cooled - Noctua DH14's
32GB ECC RAM
GTX570 GPU
Areca 1213-4i 6TB RAID 5
2 x OCZ Agilty 3 SSD's @ 6Gb/s sata3 (OSX and Windows systems)

Geekbenching just over 28,000 @3.6GHz, very mild overclock but it's only air cooled for now. The ECC ram isn't that fast either so I know this machine can do a lot better, just gotta keep working at it.

And a tip for anyone doing a build like this... be prepared to 'keep working at it' haha. You need to have patience and an interest in this sort of thing for it to be worth it, but the payoff is phenomenal.

Even if Apple release something crazy in a years time I think I can push this machine to still keep up with or beat whatever they offer.

Yeh my 2006 1,1 (upgraded to 2,1 8 core 3GHz) was geekbenching around 9,900 in 32bit with one ram carrier dead and only 8GB ram! Such good value in those machines.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Shhh. Don't tell Intel. Everything marked "v2" on this page is Ivy Bridge.

It's obvious you knew what I was talking about since you went on to quote and respond to the rest of my post. And of course there are users who would welcome an E3 variant, but history suggests the Mac Pro line will use the E5s. That may change, but as of now there's not much reason to think it will.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
As an avid Apple fan (like most of you), I eagerly await the next tower release.

As an owner of a 2009 octo-2.93Ghz machine, I REALLY do not NEED a replacement at the moment. My machine screams. I have some SSDs, and plenty of RAM and it's just a faultless machine. I run a mix of web & graphics software, parallels, and audio editing software like Ableton LIVE and Traktor - often all at the same time. With 16GB RAM I never have an issue.

The fact that you can turn a 2009 model into a 2010/2012 model with a simple firmware update and upgrade to the CPUs, makes my 2009 model feel 'not so old'. I'll probably stick an OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI card in, upgrade to the Radeon 5870, and double the RAM in a few weeks to keep it purring for another 12 - 24 months.

With all that out of the way. YES I AM EXCITED about this potential new Mac Pro. I even have cash in the bank that I COULD use to buy one with - even though I don't need it LOL.

Time for a new chassis/case. Perhaps the fibre Thunderbolt others have mentioned. Probably a smaller enclosure too. Maybe they could do 2 case sizes. One for all SSD, and one that accommodates larger drives. They make 2 different MacBook Pro sizes, no reason they wouldn't do 2 tower sizes :)

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
As an avid Apple fan (like most of you), I eagerly await the next tower release.

As an owner of a 2009 octo-2.93Ghz machine, I REALLY do not NEED a replacement at the moment. My machine screams. I have some SSDs, and plenty of RAM and it's just a faultless machine. I run a mix of web & graphics software, parallels, and audio editing software like Ableton LIVE and Traktor - often all at the same time. With 16GB RAM I never have an issue.

The fact that you can turn a 2009 model into a 2010/2012 model with a simple firmware update and upgrade to the CPUs, makes my 2009 model feel 'not so old'. I'll probably stick an OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI card in, upgrade to the Radeon 5870, and double the RAM in a few weeks to keep it purring for another 12 - 24 months.

With all that out of the way. YES I AM EXCITED about this potential new Mac Pro. I even have cash in the bank that I COULD use to buy one with - even though I don't need it LOL.

Time for a new chassis/case. Perhaps the fibre Thunderbolt others have mentioned. Probably a smaller enclosure too. Maybe they could do 2 case sizes. One for all SSD, and one that accommodates larger drives. They make 2 different MacBook Pro sizes, no reason they wouldn't do 2 tower sizes :)

Yes, two tower sizes would be a great idea. A tower for those who want a customizable iMac, and a tower for those who want the beefiest machine possible. Maybe "Mac" and "Mac Pro." They've never had just "Mac." :) Haha.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I'm pretty confident i can get away with a rMBP for future work and will probably buy that in the refresh.

Sell my 2008 MacPro, 2010 MacbookPro and buy the 2013 rMBP, Thunderbolt Storage and new Apple Display.

Don't do much work at home anyway, it's nice having a MacPro at home, but it's overkill for most people now.

That being said I'll be happy if they totally redesign the MacPro, hopefully make them cheaper than the HP and Dell equivalents next year and various companies we work for buy a heap of them for editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.