Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hello Everyone,
I was just curious if any of you had any idea of how long the actual event is from start to finish. The reason I am asking is because I am in Boston (EST) and would like to know what time I can expect to be able to get my hands on a new touch! Thank You!

-superhamster

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
The reason I am asking is because I am in Boston (EST) and would like to know what time I can expect to be able to get my hands on a new touch! Thank You!

-superhamster
I don't think that any products announced at the event will be for sale same day, if this were the case there would be rumors of factory leaks and delivery to Apple store leaks.

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
When

Okay. When will the products be available for purchase AND can I pre-order online? Also, how long is the event? I would guess a few hours if it is true there is so much to talk about.

-superhamster

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Sounds Good!

Sounds good to me! I can't wait. I don't think I will be able to concentrate in school all day!

-superhamster

Dragn

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
I'm curious too, but other threads have indicated sometimes you can buy the new iPods in store the same day as the event. I live in Canada so I hope I don't have to wait weeks!!

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
With there being no reports of Apple Store deliveries with "Do Not Open Until..." on them, it is probably safe to say that anything new will not be available on Tuesday, or even this week for that matter. I have a feeling that it will be at least 2 weeks from announcement until anything is available in-store. Although I do think that we will probably see an online pre-order option like last year if I remember correctly.

But as to the length of the actual presentation, probably around 70-90 minutes, with the new devices being able to be used by attendees at the hall afterwards. So expect hands-on reviews almost immediately online after the event.

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Thank You

Thank You. That was a very informational post. Out of curiosity though, how do they enforce the "Do Not Open Until..."? What's to stop a very curious employee?

-superhamster

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Last year, only a small handful of stores had the new iPods the same day as the event. The iPod Touches were not available for several weeks after.

It's possible that they may be available this year but don't count on it.

Last year I was on vacation sitting in a motel room in Los Angeles viewing one of the websites that had live coverage. I was ready to go out and buy an iPod Classic till people started reporting that most had no luck in finding new ones in stores. Only a few people were lucky.

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Pre-Order?

Do you think I will be able to pre-order an iPod Touch online? Also, if they switch to a plastic case would I be able to engrave it? Living in Boston, I have access to 3 Apple Stores, to ordering it online would be for engravement purposes only.

-superhamster

JNB

macrumors 604
I've never known Apple to do pre-orders on hardware. Generally, major OS releases and some flagship apps, but that's usually it.

As far as the "curious employee," exceedingly unlikely, if not near-impossible. Major launch products are commonly kept under lock & key until release. That, and wanting to keep one's job are probably enough motivation to just wait like the rest of us. ;)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Do you think I will be able to pre-order an iPod Touch online? Also, if they switch to a plastic case would I be able to engrave it? Living in Boston, I have access to 3 Apple Stores, to ordering it online would be for engravement purposes only.

-superhamster

Yes you will be able to pre-order if things are not available on the day of the event.

Last year, the website went down during the event and when it came up, every new iPod was on the site and the iPod Touch was available for pre-order.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Oh and to add on about pre-orders:

Last year, people who ordered the iPods online were some of the last to get them. They were available in stores weeks before people who ordered them online began to get them.

Keep that in mind.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Ok what does everybody think...but it at Wal-Mart (its the only store i have :eek:) whenever they get the new iPod Touches in...or get it online at the Apple Store the 9th?????

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Apple

I personally only buy Apple Products at Apple Stores. Sometimes I walk into Best Buy and ask questions about the iPod's just to see how clueless the employees are. One Best Buy rep told me several months ago that I can buy a Wi-Fi card for the Nano that plugs into the dock connector. He told me it was only available on Best Buy's website, but of course it wasn't.

-superhamster

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Thank You. That was a very informational post. Out of curiosity though, how do they enforce the "Do Not Open Until..."? What's to stop a very curious employee?

-superhamster
No problem, the "Do Not Open Until..." is usually addressed to the manager, has a date on the box, possibly a time as well, and is usually received a few days before the event. The manager under most cases will immediately put the box under lock and key. And any employee (or manager) would lose their job if they were to open the box early and let people find out what was inside.

Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Box

That makes sense. It's either loose your job or see the iPod 4 days ahead of everyone else!

Thank You

-superhamster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.