Let's say you've got $60...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 21, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I got a $60 CompUSA gift card from my aunt for christmas. I intend on using it to buy some stuff for my Mac.

So, if you had $60 to blow on Mac-related stuff, what would you buy?

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Here are some suggestions:
    - Griffin Powermate (usb control)
    - Bluetooth dongle
    - Griffin iMic or equiv. (audio interface)
    - USB thumb drive
    - USB web cam

Don't just spend it on RAM or media, you need to show a pic of it to your aunt.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

-Ironically I bought a little Lexarmedia 128MB flash drive the day before for $30.

As for the powermate...I don't really see much actual use for that...other than it just being cool.

I have no need for bluetooth...I don't have a cellphone, palm, or any other bluetooth enabled devices to use it with.

iMic?...don't really see a use for that either.

Now, the webcam is the only thing on your list that I might actually consider getting. Can someone reccomend me a good model since my old Logitech Quickcam Express isn't Mac compatible?

4. ksz macrumors 68000

Halo. But check the recommended system requirements. It's the first game I've purchased for my Mac and it's impressive. I don't usually play computer games, but a little indulgence might be good from time to time.

5. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

If you have the remainder, that's a good way towards an iSight. I think CompUSA sells those.

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'd rather spend half the amount of an iSight on another brand of webcam. $150 is a little insane. Besides, would it really sit on top of my eMac well?

Absolutely no way Halo would work on my eMac. The 7500 can barely play UT2k3, much less that. However, I'm going to try to track down Quake 3 Gold, Jedi Knight 2, or some oldish Mac game that I KNOW will work well on my dinky 3D card.

7. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I know iSight might be a bit expensive but it is a very nice webcam and it works with iChat...which no USB webcam does. The way I feel is I'm going to spend the money on a webcam I should buy one that is actually useful...then again...I don't have isight yet but it's on my list.

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

But to counter that, I wouldn't use my iSight with iChat AV, mostly because I'm the only person within 25 miles of myself that has a Mac...and you can only use iChat AV with other Mac users right? So basically that would go to waste.

On the other hand, basically any 'ol USB webcam is compatible with Yahoo Messenger to my knowledge.

So, why spend 2 to 3 times as much on a webcam that I would use 10 to 20 times LESS?

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

actually, there are things out there to enable usb cameras with iChat AV. it's shareware, but still, it will do the job.

10. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Re: Let's say you've got $60...

What do you use your Mac for? What are you into? Coz it's you not me (i need Panther, and external HDD, more memory, .Mac, spare battery,various software)

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Re: Re: Let's say you've got $60...

Doesn't matter. Throw any of your ideas out there.

12. zellin macrumors regular

I probably should have quoted but here goes:
    The iSight comes with an eMac mount so it will sit on top of your eMac nicely.
    With Quicktime Broadcaster and an iSight you can record quick movies for email.

13. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I think I'd get a Kensington StudioMouse wireless. You'd have to throw in an extra fifteen bucks or so of your own, though.

Attached Files:

14. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Nah, a mouse isn't necessary. In addition the Apple mouse which I use the most, I have a 2-button/scroll wheel Logitech Optical mouse and a 3-button/scroll wheel IBM mouse. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Keep 'em coming, peoples!

15. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

do you have .Mac? It is worth it if you would use iDisk AND email AND bookmark sync AND web bookmarks.

Backup is good but to a 100MB disk - thanx - thats half of my word docs now houw bout we do my FCP stuff (i got about 40GB of that - small i know)

Virex is useless right now as there are no known osx native viruses.

16. cubist macrumors 68020

How about some cold cathode lights to put inside the eMac? lighted USB cables? External firewire case (for a hard drive)? "Learning Cocoa" book? Graphics tablet? Palm Zire? USB floppy drive? Ethernet switch? Used Newton?

17. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Let's say you've got $60...

add 1 or 2 more zero's and then you might repeat might be able to buy something with an apple logo on it.

18. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Re: Re: Let's say you've got $60...

Doesn't have to be something that Apple THEMSELVES made... a third-party product. I believe I've bought all I will from Apple for at least a year. I think $1200 out of me is enough for one year.

19. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I see what you are saying. Though I heard that iSight worked with Yahoo! Messanger...not sure though. Hopefully the next verison of AOL IM with support iSight and iChat AV so it won't be so exclusive. Also, vidoe conference with USB webcam Over yahoo sucks big time...and no voice either. It's nothing like iChatAV and iSight.

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think I'd buy a lap dance. But then again, that's just me. :D

21. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut