Let's see if I can stump you...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harry K., May 3, 2005.

1. Harry K. macrumors member

I bet you can't figure the answers, and if you can, please help...

I've got 10.4 running on the latest 17" PowerBook 1GB and I have some problems:

1. The new Mail app sends my mail but does not list any of my e-mail. I do get e-mail everyday but now it won't appear. It's set on the right info.

2. My phonebook in Dashboard won't work. I can type something in and it will pop up with a window on the desktop that says it quit.

3. My iPhoto 5 is so slow and slows down the system with only 6,000 photos. I've had 8,000 before running fast. It slowed down before Tiger and I think it's because of corrupted photos but how do I find which ones arfe corrupted so I can delete them?

4. I once downloaded an app that let me put a message on the login window by my name. I think I deleted the app, though. So I need to get it off... what software does that so I can download it and remove it?

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i'm guessing you did an upgrade to tiger? any chance of you doing a re-install, or is that out of the question? i'm guessing it would solve most/all of your issues..

with regards to iphoto, it could be a damaged iphoto library file. you can rebuild the iphoto library by launching iphoto while holding down the command and option keys (ie the alt and apple keys). this will rebuild the library and should hopefully fix your problem. it's worth a shot.. :)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You don't happen to have 2000 pictures in iPhoto's trash do you? It took me a while to figure out why my iPhoto was running slowly since I'd always thought that deleting a picture meant that. Have a look and see how many pictures are in your iPhoto trash can and delete them if there are lots.

Another way to speed up iPhoto is to remove the drop shadow on the pictures; if you set your iPhoto browsing background to black, you won't even notice.

4. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

Yep, tried the black, no shadows, empty trash thing. It didn't really help though, thank you.

5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

6. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

Got Mail to work. I deleted a plug-in to get Hotmail!

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

For iPhoto, try rebuilding your library by holding down cmd and opt while opening it.