Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I am looking for the masses to force Australian Personal Computer Magazine to write a retraction statement in relation to their ever so small article on the G5.

eMails should be sent to epinions@apcmag.com and should be constructive not abusive.

Artice:
"Mac's G5 on the money
It's hot (and cool) and comes in three flavours.

In between rhapsodising over the response to iTunes and the next iteration of OS X, Steve Jobs took time at Appple's annual Developer Conference to launch its new computer, the Power Mac G5. Sporting the new IBM PowerPC 970 CPU, the aluminium-cased G5 will support DVD and CD burning as standard, and the machine is set to perform as smart as it looks - at a price. Comin in low, mid-range and high-end flavours, its prices significantly exceed those of comparable PCs.
Apple claim it's the fastest home computer in the world, with 64-bit architecture and a 4GHz running speed. APC examined what Apple users will be getting with the high-end G5 and attempted to configure a PC with similar specs using components sourced from the upper end of the market. While the Apple has the edge in processing grunt, the dollar values tell an interesting story.

Apple G5
Dual 2GHz PowerPC
G5 Processors
512MB DDR 400 SDRAM
ATi Radeon 9600 pro video
160GB SATA HDD
SuperDrive DVD/CD burner
Aluminium case
Apple mouse and keyboard
Price: (AU)$5599

APC's DIY PC
Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard $420
Intel 3GHz Pentium 4 CPU $760
512MB Corsair PC3200 RAM $260
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro $775
Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA HDD $385
Sony DRU510a DVD/CD writer $620
Lian-Li PC6070A aluminium case $500 (inc PSU)
Microsoft wireless desktop $230
Price: (AU)$3950"

I see a lot of problems with this but the biggest things are:

You can not compare a Pentium 4 to a dual G5. They said that the Apple had the edge in processing grut but they meant to say "blew the Pentium 4 out of the water".

To follow point 1, comparing a dual Xeon to a dual G5 would show MUCH different results for price.

They, therefore, have condradicted themselves by saying that the G5 has a price that exceeds comparable PCs and then comparing with a P4 system.

Also, it is not right to compare a warehouse built G5 with a do it yourself home build machine... apples with apples.

Apple does not claim to have the fastest home computer but the fastest personal computer... big difference.

BTW, remember this link

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks to one observant person here in the office that APC did not include an OS with that machine... Windows would also add to that price.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You might want to specify that those prices are in Australian dollars. I had to reread those prices a couple of times and look at your post to figure it out.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
You might want to specify that those prices are in Australian dollars. I had to reread those prices a couple of times and look at your post to figure it out.

LOL, I thought people would relate Australian PC Mag with Australian $
:)

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I also note that there is only one processor on that PC rig, compared to two in the Mac.

That right there would make up two-thirds of the price difference. Add windows to the purchase price and you're only talking a couple hundred AU$ for a still considerably weaker machine.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I also note that there is only one processor on that PC rig, compared to two in the Mac.

That right there would make up two-thirds of the price difference. Add windows to the purchase price and you're only talking a couple hundred AU$ for a still considerably weaker machine.

That is exactly right which is another reason why it can only be compared to the Xeon since, as you probably know, you can not dual process a P4 machine.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Re: Let's Set These Guys Straight

Originally posted by madamimadam
Also, it is not right to compare a warehouse built G5 with a do it yourself home build machine... apples with apples.

Sure it is. Its not the PC world's fault that Apple doesn't sell individual parts... plus an Apple system is suppose to be very optimized since its made by the maker of the OS anyways.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well duh, we all know that building a pc is always going to be cheaper than buying from a company. i dont see why bothering setting them straight. just a waste of time.

iJon

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
well duh, we all know that building a pc is always going to be cheaper than buying from a company. i dont see why bothering setting them straight. just a waste of time.

iJon

Because the Apple market is so dead here and a lot of people read and trust APC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.