Lets talk about the future (imac & mbp)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Oct 15, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2006
    Manhattan & Zürich
    OK, I no longer have a mac and it's killing me. I once had the 20" iMac and loved it. Then I went to a 14inch iBook and hated it (because of the screen size). I am worried if I get the 15 or 17 mbp, the screen resolution will be too low. Any advice on this?

Right now I have enough money for either a 24" iMac Core 2 duo or a 17" mac book pro.

I am worried about the future. With 10.5 coming and native 64 bit will that make the mbp obsolete? I really need a computer. I don't think I need 64 bit, but will the 32 bit apps run on it? I am a neuroscience major, so some work in mathematica is essential.

I was pretty sure on a desktop, but now that I am traveling this week - I really miss my laptop. At home, I go to the library daily so the laptop would be nice to have. Classes not so much - laptops aren't really needed as you have to draw a lot, unfortunately.

So, should I continue waiting for the core 2 duos in the mac book pro, or just get a iMac 24" core 2 duo.

Someone give me convincing reasons, please.

2. Konfabulation macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2006
    Absolutely nobody knows when the MMBPros are coming. We're all in the same boat dude, but they will be worth the wait I can tell you that.
  3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    If you don't need the portability i suggest u get the iMac. I believe mathematics programs will make good use of 64 bit processing capabilities once they have been coded properly. If you need the portability i suggest you wait for an MBP.
  4. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    You could get a 20" iMac and then a refurb 1.83Ghz Macbook?

17" isn't too portable for school, so I'd just go with the 24" iMac if you're only considering those two.
  5. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    extraextra's idea of the 20" iMac and refurb MacBook is a nice idea that I would consider. Best of both worlds. Also, I'm in agreement regarding the 17" MBP's portability. I've seen several people with them in cafe's and libraries...doesn't seem too fun to lug around. Doesn't fit in most bags unless it's custom made for it, and then the bags seem too big (in my experience anyway).
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

The 17" MBP has the same screen res as the 20" iMac. The 15" MBP has the same screen res as the 17" iMac. Both are substantially larger than the 1024x768 of the iBook.

The 24" iMac is gigantic, awesome and has a fantastic screen. Not to mention you can plug in a second 23" Apple Cinema Display or any other LCD up to 1920x1200 and have two massive screens.