Let's talk SIXAXIS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

So far, with the 360 and the PS3 running a lot of the same titles, the difference appears to be whether your prefer the motion sensing or the rumble...

As one who doesn't own a PS3, I'm not one to say, but one of the things that really turned me off to waiting in line for it (other than the obvious ... waiting in line part) is the fact that they dropped the rumble in favor of the motion sensing. I love rumble, and have ever since it... um... rumbled onto the scene with the N64. It adds a lot of intensity to the game, and I still have yet to hear someone say, "Dammit, the rumbling screwed me up," (although I'm sure it's happened, and even then, you can turn it off).

For the few who do own a PS3, I have to ask, what do you think of the sixaxis? Does it make the games more exciting? It's kind of my feeling that if you're going to do motion sensing, you do it full out ala the Wii, but hey, what do I know.

No one doubts the PS3s capibilities - it's a disgustingly powerful piece of machinery. However, and I know it's been said many times before, I get the feeling that they've just been a little bit off in terms of gameplay itself, and I wonder if it's going to catch up. A friend of mine also commented that, with only 256 mb of RAM, compared to the 512 of the 360, the PS3 is kind of crippled, although maybe it hopes to use its processors to simply power through the memory dearth.

We'll see - I'm really curious as to how owners feel about it, the SIXAXIS specifically.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just to clear up one point: Sony didn't "drop the rumble in favor of the motion sensing". Sony CANNOT USE RUMBLE because they lost a lawsuit filed against them by the company that holds the patent on rumbling in controllers. Both Microsoft and Nintendo wisely came to a financial agreement with this company, but Sony did not... rather, they took their chances in court, and lost. They had to pay the company a large fine and now they cannot make rumbling controllers.

So adding motion sensitivity was more or less a "default" decision, as they couldn't just have plain ol' controllers.

Personally, I intensely dislike motion sensitive controllers. I want my thumbs and fingers to do the talking, not inadvertant movements of my arms or body while I am playing.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I thought Nintendo owned lots of that company, instead?

4. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Not to argue over semantics, but couldn't one argue that, by pursuing the motion sensing technology and neglecting the rumble technology, they in essance dropped the rumble in favor of the motion? Either way, it's immaterial - PS3 = rumble free.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Until they move them analogue sticks and add rumble I won't even think about picking up one of them controllers. Spent most my PS1 and 2 playing time on a 3rd party controller.

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It's amazing Sony hasn't changed their controller design ever. Small things here and there but its basically the same. It horrible too. I don't know how people use it for extended hours. The damn handle don't even conform to your hands.

Well anyways, If Sony had a choice, why wouldn't they just include both rumble and motion sensor. Nintendo did it. Rumble is a nice feature but I don't think it's absolutely neccessary. I don't even notice it when I'm in the game. I always notice it when It's in a cutscene or sumthin' and it's start rumblin. I'm like "oh yea the controller rumbles..."

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

what are we betting thirdparty will bring out a ps3 controller with rumble.

what excuse is going to come up with to hide that embarrasment. ?

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I quite like how the PS2 controller feels in my hands (far more comfortable than the Xbox's, but not as nice as the N64's and Gamecube), but I just cannot use the analogue sticks. There just isn't enough resistance in them for my liking.

9. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Honestly, the preference of rumble or motion sensing is really up to you. Keep in mind its still early in the game and developers have to figure out what works and what doesn't with motion sensing, much like they did with the touch screen on the DS.

Personally, I would rate rumble and 2-handed controller with motion sensing (I think the distinction between that and freehanded is important) on about the same level. I never was blown away by rumble, never felt more immersed in the game. The sweet spot I find is the combination that Wii has. Take Zelda for example, you "swing" to use your sword, and when it connects, you feel it too.

Keep in mind I haven't played a PS3 yet, but using the motion sensing in current games is really a bad way to judge if its worth it just because it's so early. I'd say either wait a bit and see what developers do with it and then decide, or get a 360 now. Currently the game lineup is better than PS3, but if PS3 lives up to it's potential, that decision may come back to bite you.

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My thoughts exactly :) The controller is the main reason I gave my PS2 to my nephews. I really could not enjoy playing current games with a controller from the mid-90's. I might as well use my NES Advantage controller for my 360 :)

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It would still only be good for playing PS1 and PS2 games. PS3 games aren't programmed to tell the controller to rumble.

12. Malus macrumors 6502

the sixaxis looks interesting, but it seems like sony just tacked it on just to say it had it. I mean, i would rather just move the analog stick forward to move my vehicle than to tilt the controller in an uncomfortable possition for my hands and wrists.

The Wii controller however acts like an actual wheel. And is much more comfortable.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I think the controllers for console systems has improved every generation with the exception of the Playstation controller.

I also think the Xbox 360 controller is near perfection for a standard controller. The first time I used one I was surprised at how well designed it was. A huge upgrade from the Xbox and Xbox Type-S and it just felt great in every way.

I honestly don't know how someone could not like the 360 controller, it really was thoughtfully designed.

I really like the GameCube controller as well, but it's only suited for certain types of games. The layout is fine with the exception of the camera stick, which works great for everything except an FPS game. I'm sure it could be refined to a tighter more solid controller with a near identical layout (and changing the C-stick to a standard thumbstick) in the way the 360 controller was and be even better.

The PS1/2/3 controller is a big disappointment now. It definitely feels very tired and old, which wouldn't be as big an issue if it was a better controller to start with. My main reasons for that are the thumbsticks. They were tacked on to a good 2D controller, and that is the probem. It's layout suggests it's primary function is that of a 2D controller, rather then 3D.

The Playstation controllers are well made, but they need to move from 2D-centric to 3D-centric... This could be done with a very small step, even if a complete redesign would be better:

[​IMG]

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

OMG I got an inside scoop on the Playstation 4 controller!

[​IMG]

BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE. Okay?

Yes. That is the Transformers font

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Right ..

The PS3 controller feels like paper and I must admitt its getting old...I'm hoping a 3rd party would bring out a better control because sony don't understand the term: CHANGE.

Bless

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That's why I consider Sony a weak competitor, they always do the same thing, the strategy never changes. Once their competition figures this out they will be easily beaten.

Maybe the management change will help! Doubtful, but here's hoping.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The logitech wireless PS2 pad was far better than the dual shock controller. Hopefully they release a PS3 pad too.

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz