Let's talk tires

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 21, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I have a 2001 Mazda Protege ES with 16x7 alloy rims on them. Right now I'm running on Bridgestone Blizzaks and they've been fantastic for me through the winter of '04-'05. But they are classified as studless snow/ice tires and will wear quickly once the warmer weather rolls around.
    A coworker of mine told me that I should buy another set of rims to make strictly summer wheels. He commented that it's a bad idea to pull off tires that will eventually be remounted because it wears the bead that seals the tire to the rim. The result being slow air leaks and mysterious flat tires.
    Sounded sensible to me.
    I've been perusing tirerack.com and picking out new wheels. So far here's what I've got in the shopping cart:
    16x7 Kazera KZ-U Silver painted rims
    Fuzion ZRi Blackwall in 205/50WR16
    with free mounting and balancing from tirerack.com
    It all comes up to around 760 dollars.
    I'm thinking maybe I should just keep the Blizzaks on the car and let them wear and just get a whole new set of Blizzaks then. Cheaper?
    Maybe I'm being just lazy, I don't know. But 760 bucks for summer wheels does sound like a lot.
    Mind you that the coworker is my supervisor/boss at work and he doesn't like laziness. So my image at work is also at stake. Yeah one of those.
  2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Personally I would get a set of painted steel wheels, have the Blizzaks mounted on them, and then put summer performance tires on the factory alloys. Moving tires from one set of wheels to another once or twice shouldn't cause mystery leaks if done properly.

Steelies are cheaper and more durable than alloys, and pose less of a theft risk.

$750 installed is a good price for a set of wheels/tires. A friend of mine just had his '01 Acura Integra re-shod (wheels/tires stolen!) with 17" alloys and Continental summer tires for $950. As for tires, another friend of mine used to work at a Firestone dealer and had nothing good to say about Fuzions, but I have no experience with them. I've got UHPAS (Ultra High Performance All Season) tires on my car, a set of Falken Ziex ZE512s. They are good in snow but still grippy and quiet in the summer. Expect to pay ~$110+ for quality summer performance tires. Also I would avoid running the Blizzaks all year - you'll waste a good snow tire and the summer performance will be lacking.
  3. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    As a person who used to mount tires, I would say that it should not affect the seal unless the person that removes them is just a nut. haha. I mean, we used to sell gobs of used tires that had been previously mounted and never had a problem. When something like that happened to us, it could always be traced back to a bent or rusty rim, a nail, or a faulty valve stem or something like that. I don't think I ever had a tire leak around the rim unless the rim was bad. ~Josh

Oh yeah, and I can get ya some good deals on tires since my dad works at Goodyear! :p
  4. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Give the good people at the Tirerack a call, very nice and helpful over the phone.