Lets try again, firewall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R.R.Mac, Nov 22, 2006.

1. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

THIS IS NOT FOR HACKING OR WHATEVER MY THREAD WAS CLOSED FOR. THIS IS LEGAL AND IS USED TO UNBLOCK iChat. IF IT WAS NOT LEGAL ISA WOULD NOT BE ON THE MICROSOFT SITE.

guys PC's have a ISA firewall. I am a student at a collage but and they block everything i need to get though and open about 6 ports. How would i be able to do this because i am quite desperate

Is there anything that i need to download?

could anybody help me?

THANK YOU.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

if you're at college and wanting iChat port access, why not just ask the admin?

am i missing something here?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Downloading "something" to alter the firewall without having approved admin access would be considered gaining illegal access to a computing device/service in both the UK and the USA. Ask your administrator for the access. You are a guest on their network and you either accept the conditions and use it or you don't use it.

4. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i think what he wants to do is open the ports that iChat uses on a Windows machine. Am i correct?

If so, you can modify the firewall settings from the network settings control panel. unless they have windows live one care then you can modify the settings from that.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Please explain to me how attempting to circumnavigate/violating the security put in place (right or wrong) at your university is 'legal' and not a 'hack'?

6. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

'if you're at college and wanting iChat port access, why not just ask the admin?'

answer, the admins are stubbon and are not prepared to help any mac user.

note, they have no problem with me using it i just have to find my own way around it. It is also not in their control. Look below.

'Downloading "something" to alter the firewall without having approved admin access would be considered gaining illegal access to a computing device/service in both the UK and the USA. Ask your administrator for the access. You are a guest on their network and you either accept the conditions and use it or you don't use it.'

answer:
    I have approved admin access to get around it, IF i can find a way how to get around it, i.e. (hinted by themselves) to find a program. Like ISA which is for a PC WHICH THEY USE THEMSELVES. As i have a mac I do not have the program which will allow me to access these ports. I need a mac firewall program to be able to get around this. I have the admins approval. The admin hires a certain company that blocks everything for them. They use ISA to get around this problem created by the company. It is not the admin which has any problems with my iChat it is the company which helps them. They do not care in the slightest.

Quote:
    Please explain to me how attempting to circumnavigate/violating the security put in place (right or wrong) at your university is 'legal' and not a 'hack'?

its legal because i have the admins permission.

I just need to be told where to download a program i have been given permission i just need a firewall system like ISA

Please i am attempting to make these points crystal clear:

I HAVE THE ADMINS PERMISSION
    IT IS LEGAL
    I AM NOT HACKING
    THE IT STAFF HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST MACS

Please can anybody HELP ME,

I can now see why you closed my first post but i hope you understand now.

questions readily accepted.

Ohhhh one question of my own, is this a debate?

7. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

sorry forgot to answer a question:

quote,

i think what he wants to do is open the ports that iChat uses on a Windows machine. Am i correct?

If so, you can modify the firewall settings from the network settings control panel. unless they have windows live one care then you can modify the settings from that.

answer, no i dont want to i cant find a download link and i do not have a windows computer which is easily reached and used.

also i am not a guest. I have a certificute saying that I am an official member of the college. i have it and i have been granted the right to use iChat. I have also been granted the right to get a firewall program so that I can use iChat. This (once again) is legal and i have (once again) the admins permission.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It seems to me that you don't entirely understand what you're trying to do.

You're failing.

Clearly state exactly what you are attempting to do.

You want to modify the firewall that you're university is using to use iChat?
    Or you're trying to find a program that will circumnavigate it by using "approved" ports?
    And you keep referring to ISA. Please explain/link exactly what you mean by "ISA".

9. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

My College has hired a company to block web sites and PORTS for them. They block the ports that they use in iChat. I have permission to get a firewall system like ISA to help me get passed this common problem.

ISA (client server or network stuff) (but it works) is allowed at our College. It allows us to get past certain ports so that we can use programs.

Really all i am looking for is a program that will allow me to get past a firewall so that i can use certain ports, its not that difficult.

Just to complicate it a bit (for certain people) i have been allowed to do this by my College. Therefore it is legal, safe and pretty simple.

I do not modify the firewall. I bypass it. This is not hacking because i have permisson and all the 'school computers' have ISA client as well so it can not be illigal.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well actually, it is.. otherwise what would be the point of firewalls?

Then why do they bother having it in the first place when all the computers bypass it? :confused:

I don't understand what you mean by "firewall system". What is a "firewall system"? A firewall? Microsoft ISA is a security server that uses firewalls and NAT and proxy and crap like that to provide "security".

If there are ISA clients installed on the computer and configured to be used with the Microsoft ISA firewall (e.g. bypass it, which I still don't understand why they have it if everything bypasses it, but that is neither here nor there), then unless Microsoft makes an ISA client for them Mac, you're never going to be able to do what you want to do.

Why?

As far as I can see, there's no Microsoft ISA client for the Mac. And since it's HIGHLY unlikely that Microsoft has made the code available to 3rd party groups (clearly it obviates security), there's no 3rd party clients for the Mac out there either. Which means what you want to do isn't possible with a Mac.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Firewalls are designed so there is no way of bypassing them. They is no way for data to get around them unless it goes through them. And when it goes through they decide what is allowed to go through. What you need to do is port forward on the firewall so you will need direct access to the "firewall"

12. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

yes your right train. I have checked on a PC and it says firewall client.
    ISA is the name of where it has to be forwared to.

so, sorry i wasted all your time.

I found out about the firewall client.

It gets ports to where they want to go when they meet the firewall. Everything has just been so confusing :(

does anybody know something like firewall client for mac

i am on the right track now. sorry for mucking you about yellow i thought i knew but i didn't!

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It has a built-in firewall, called ipfw2.

You can read the man page here:

http://www.hmug.org/man/8/ipfw.php

14. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

thanks alot i am sure that this will help me.