Let's Turn December 14th Into Gun Nut Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 12, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the gun nuts wonder why they have so much opposition. How anyone can take a day where 26 were killed and try and turn it into "Guns Saves Lives" Day is sickening, not to mention bat **** crazy. Stay classy guys.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ives-day-newton-anniversary-article-1.1483324

2. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

So, before we proceed, what's your definition of "gun nut" and/or "gun lover" ?

You've already slanted the thread by using the term gun nuts. I have a few antique firearms, none of them have genitalia.

The linked article is slanted by calling the people gun lovers, instead of a group of select pro gun activist. While I don't think it is tasteful, I understand the what and why of what they are doing. I also agree that the anti-gun groups would have done the same thing eventually, and I feel that it would have been equally distasteful.

3. macrumors 65816

aerok

What do you understand?

Would you feel the same if one of the Sandy Hooks victim was someone you were close to?

Would you understand if people celebrated the weapon used to kill your child on the day he/she was killed?

How could anti-gun people do something similar? Was something like that even considered?

4. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

The weapon used is not being celebrated.

How are you so sure that none of the SH victims wasn't anyone I was close too ?

Are you sure something political by the anti-gun groups isn't being considered ?

Again, I understand why they are doing what they are doing, but I do think it's distasteful.

My mother celebrates my little brother's birth, not his death. (Non Sandy Hook.) She reflects on the joy his life brought to us.

5. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And what better way to celebrate the joy the lives of 20 dead children brought to their families than by declaring the anniversary of the day they were massacred with a gun, Guns Saves Lives day. :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

If you don't mind, I'll answer the first question, IMHO, of course: a gun nut is the unreasonable person who just shouts BECAUSE ITS MY RIGHT whenever someone asks why do you need to have a gun? A gun nut is someone who says there should be no more laws dealing with gun control. None. A gun nut is someone who says anybody should have the right to gun ownership and to carry the gun anywhere they want, even if they are BLIND. A gun nut cries like a little girl whenever someone calls him a gun nut but has no problem calling me a gun grabber no matter how many times I say, I don't want to take away everyone's guns, I just think maybe more regulation might be a good thing. A gun but doesn't see any problem with this day they are planning because they just don't get that asking for more gun control on the anniversary of the slaughter of little children is by no means the same thing as a pro-gun rights rally.

A gun lover, IMHO, is a hobbyist, a hunter, a collector. Someone who respects guns and their power but also had a real use for them. Someone who is slightly embarrassed by the NRA and the nuts because he has common sense and knows that ALL rights have limits. A gun lover is the person who should be working on making this country safer but, as always, it falls to the extremes and we wind up with not a rational, educated human being making commons sense laws for the betterment of everyone but, on one side, the guys who say no new laws, list, restrictions ever and the guys on the other side who simply don't know the difference between an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon.

7. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That is how it looks. Just about the sickest and most disgusting "gun advocate" move yet.

8. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just guns in general.

9. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

This IMO has all the hallmarks of a fanatic doing something that will raise a general condemnation, so he can claim the victim status. It's like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Tea Party/NRA revel in the idea that they are the true victims of discrimination.

10. macrumors 65816

aerok

This is not political, it's down right offensive and insulting to those who have lost someone important during the SH incident.

You still didn't answer this:

How do you understand? What is there to understand? How can one justify this?

11. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

To be fair, even a commie-liberal like myself understands that they (the pro-gun groups) are trying to control—or at least spin—the message.

It's even stated in the OP ...

You can understand what they are trying to accomplish even without agreeing with it.

12. macrumors 65816

aerok

I read it, they do explain why they want to do this.

That's not my question though. My question is directed to MrWillie because even if he finds it distasteful, he understand their intentions. What does he understand about it?

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Yes, but again, I understand their intentions too. I don't agree with them, but I understand them. They're trying to spin the message.

Without putting too many words in the mouth of MrWillie, I'd suspect he'd say something similar to what I just did.

It's okay to understand someone else's position and motivation, even when you disagree with their POV. You can still completely disagree with someone AND understand them at the same time. In fact, I believe it's a strength to be able to do that.

14. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I will answer again when I get back to my PC instead of typing it out on a phone...

15. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

So by the Second Amendment Foundation's logic, September 11 should be Al-Qaeda Appreciation Day.

16. macrumors 65816

aerok

I agree with you when you say you can understand a POV even if you disagree with it but there should be reasoning behind it.

You said they are just trying to spin/control the message. That is your understanding, what is MrWillie's?

17. macrumors 603

They want to call it "Guns Save Lives" day.

Not "Good Guys Save Lives" day.

Not "Responsible Armed Citizens Save Lives" day.

Not "The 2nd Amendment Saves Lives" day.

The first word in "Guns Save Lives" is "guns". How is that not the weapon used?

And that weapon's purported role in saving lives is most certainly being celebrated. Why else would it be called "Guns Save Lives" day?

18. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You can use all the derogatory names and all the asterisks you want but it doesn't change a thing.

I am sorry you don't like my Constitutional Right to bear arms.

19. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow. How tasteless. Lets use a tragedy to further our political agenda that was one of the CAUSES of this tragedy to begin with! (Why gun worshipers are against stronger background checks and preventing mentally ill people from getting guns is beyond me).

20. macrumors 65816

aerok

So you don't find this distasteful at all?

21. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This has nothing to do with your or anyone else's 2A rights. :rolleyes:

22. macrumors 603

They should at least be honest and call it "Guns Take Lives" day.

Because the only way a gun can save a life is by taking another life, or threatening to.

23. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Did I say that?

Do two wrongs make a right?

24. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Wait.... Gun's don't kill people, right? But Guns save lives? :confused::confused:

25. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Given your posting history on guns the answer to this question is a resounding no.