Letter from Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by carbonmotion, Feb 18, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I was not in the states while "Letters" was being shown in the United States, but having just managed to watch the movie last night, I was shocked that such as piece was produced.

My initial reaction was how spectacular it was for the American people to be so receptive of Eastwood's film... Then later that night, I talked to some old timers at a bar and found utter hatred for the film.

What do you guys think of Clint Eastwood's film? Do you think its revisionist? Or do you think is covers points which the US historians glosses over since wwe won the war and writes history.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I saw the trailer for it last week and it left me really wanting to watch the movie.

It's released next here next week (23rd) so I'll get back to you then.

:D

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There are two sides to that war and the movie was told from the other end....
    I see no problem in that. Everyone that fought in that war had a story to tell.

Bless

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Agreed.

History is usually written by the winner, so we really didn't learn of the Japanese side of the story in history class. Eastwood just wanted to show both sides of the same battle. It's interesting, not a huge insult to Americans.

I don't know why you'd be shocked that it was produced.

Quite frankly, I had absolutely NO interest in seeing Flags of our Fathers, and still haven't, since I am sick of war movies that glorify American victories. I AM interested in seeing Letters from Iwo Jima, though.

5. Motley macrumors 6502

Then maybe you should see Flags of Our Fathers.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Maybe I should. I had no idea what it was about, other than the American side of the battle of Iwo Jima, and I assumed it would glorify the whole event. I'll add it to my queue.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Haven't seen either yet, but I intend to. There are a lot of small minded people out there who don't get it. And not just Americans. Kinda why we have these problems. No empathy, no ability to see the other side of things. Not surprised at all that some people don't like it.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I had a distant uncle who droned on about Iwo Jima and his disdain for "Japs", as he called them. He was the greediest, most self absorbed, pathetic emblem of what the ugly american is about. As the "wretch consented all in self, doubling dying down he went to the vile dust from which he sprung; upwept, unhonored and unsung". He died a miser.

9. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

well sometimes in the earlier wars, the soldiers suffered from PTS... there was just no treatment for it.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe no widely effective treatment, but soldiers returning from WWII were indeed treated for shell-shock, as it was called then.

Let There Be Light

11. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

shell shock and pts are similar but different things. shell shock is part of pts, but other parts of pts are like repeated acts of killing... etc. Like three delta force soldiers after returning from afghanastan strangled, butchered, and shot their wives.

12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I think you'll be surprised. I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima yet, but I did see Flags of our Fathers, and I am looking forward to seeing Iwo Jima even more because of it. Didn't Eastwood intend for them to both be seen? Kind of like 1 movie split in half. One is not complete without the other...

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not to mention being raised during the Great Depression. Being frugal and planning for another economic disaster of those proportions does not make one "greedy" or self absorbed.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

True enough and fair enough. Each person decides their own stuff. War is one stressor. Life and lifestyles have a way of dishing out hardships in all directions and upon all who live and breathe. Some get better, not bitter. My point is that war vets don''t reserve the right to inappropriate responses any more than non military civilians who absorb the collateral damages of this form of insanity.

Having endured the Depression years is also not a carte blanc for avarice. Some have come through that with altruistic and philanthropic motivations to help those who are suffering and less fortunate.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are you basing this on some kind of definition i don't know about, or are you just going by the name? because WWII soldiers were treated to rounds of psychicatric care for all kinds of "injury to the nerves", all grouped together under the heading "shell shock."