Letter to Apple and Intuit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacVault, Sep 1, 2006.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I just sent the email below to:

sjobs@apple.com
    steve@apple.com
    steve@mac.com
    feedback@apple.com
    steve_bennett@intuit.com
    bill_campbell@intuit.com
    scott_cook@intuit.com

Anyone think we'll see any results? I'll let you all know if I get any replies.
    ======================

Dear Steve Jobs,

I'm a longtime Mac user and fan. But there's one huge problem for me with the Mac platform... and that problem is that the only real personal finance manager, Quicken, totally, 100%, absolutely SUCKS! And to top it off Intuit's Bill Campbell is on Apple's board! WTF?!?

So, I'm writing to propose to and beg Apple to develop the sweetest personal finance manager the world has ever seen, complete with the sweetest, core-animated, feature rich interface, etc., and get all online financial institutions to support direct connect functionality for the Apple-developed PFM.

Please, Apple, I beg you to do this for us! Quicken totally SUCKS and all the other little ibank/liquidledger apps feel like fisher price toys. We Mac users really do have cash/debt/accounts/budgets/etc and need a good way to manage all this. And if there ever was an app that needed to be developed by a large powerful company it would be this, a personal finance manager, because it takes a powerful company to get the support of all the financial institutions for direct-connect type functionality. I'm sick of Quicken's Web Connect or download-a-QIF crap.

Please, Apple! Please make it happen!

Thanks

Macvault

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not the way to write a letter that will be taken completely seriously... i.e. WTF, it sucks etc.

Still, good luck.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, putting SUCKS and WTF??? in there will get you what you want :rolleyes:

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Preach on brother!
    Just preach on in a manner that will be taken seriously. Refer to the list of word/phrases that should not be used in your next letter.

totally, 100%, absolutely SUCKS!
    WTF?!?
    to propose to and beg
    sweetest
    I beg you
    totally SUCKS
    feel like fisher price toys
    powerful company
    I'm sick of
    download-a-QIF crap.

5. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I know, maybe I shouldn't use WTF and ***** like that, but what better way is there to convey my thought. WTF is exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the situation.

Ok, my next letter will be more politically correct. Thanks for the advice!

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeah you need to propose it more like a gentleman than someone my age.

Still, good luck!

7. Greebazoid macrumors regular

can I introduce you to moneydance..

better than MS Money on 'doze, better than quicken on Mac..

8. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll try to be politically correct here.... let's just say yes, I've already tried moneydance, and I don't mean to offend you if you are the developer, but moneydance is just another fisher price toy if you ask me. Just like ibank, gnucash, liquid ledger, etc. These are not what I'm looking for.

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I can appreciate your frustration with the applications, but the chance of receiving a reply is slender indeed. For anything along these lines to be given any degree of thoughtful consideration, all the accepted rules of effective business writing must be adhered to. Good luck.

10. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

So the real issue is not a real issue unless it's explained in politically correct terms? Come on, they can't seriously deny my point even if I did use WTF.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately the language used removes credibility from your argument. It makes you sound like a 14-year-old who spends too much time on WoW rather than an adult customer with disposable income to hand. If I received an e-mail like that there's only a small chance I would actually finish it.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It has absolutely nothing to with political correctness. :confused:

It's all about appropriate language for business. Want to be taken seriously in life? Don't use WTF etc.

13. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I'll shut my mouth and just ask all you guys to write a business-correct letter about the PFM issue to Apple and Intuit. Thanks!

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've been using Quicken for Mac for over 3 years and I think it's great :p QuickBooks OTOH, could use some work. It would be nice if both applications shared the same on-line feature set. Once a year I get pissed off when they release their new products, then I get over it. This year I am in disbelief that they have not created a universal binary version of Quicken. With their track record, I'd be surprised if we see one next year. Oh, well...

15. Greebazoid macrumors regular

Nope, I aint the developer. Just a happy user. I track my VAT, tax, income expenditure for private bank accounts and my company bank accounts.

Obviously, your needs are different.

If I felt as strongly as you go, I'd probably install parallels and run quicken there.

16. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

What is stupid? Do you like Quicken for Mac the way it is?

17. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Switching to Windows

Ok, that's it. I've had it with Macs. So many things are always a few steps behind on the Mac it seems so I'm forced to swich to Windows now. Things like OCR, Quicken, browsers, email clients, etc, etc, etc.

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't forget to change your username before you close the door behind you, thanks. :p

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats rubbish and childish (albiet a bit like the letter).

but suit yourself.
    /shrugs. enjoy Windows then.

21. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

22. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Goodbye, you'll be missed.

23. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

;) Ok, I won't swith totally. I'll just have to run Parallels or VMWare. Don't get me wrong... I love many things about the Mac. I just hate it's difficiencies.

24. dwboston macrumors newbie

Quicken and Quickbooks problems

Last year after using the Windows versions of both Quicken and Quickbooks, I took the plunge and purchased mac versions of both, since I'm a mac person at heart. While I find nothing wrong with the design of the program --- Quicken for MAC is incredibly unstable. Despite taking all the recommended steps to update and rebuild data from Intuit, the program crashes several times per use. Trying to change a date on a transaction during the first use each day, yields a crash almost every time. I really do like the feature that backs up data to:( iDisk, but given I'm now using Windows XP on a new iMac, I'm likely going to switch back to Quicken 04 at the beginning of the new year.

Meanwhile Quickbooks pro for mac has a huge problem. Again, it's interface is fine, but unlike it's windows brother, you can't manually process payroll entrees. You have to purchase an external service from an outside vendor to do that for nearly as much as the software itself costs. Luckily Quikbooks does offer a money-back gurantee --- I'm now back on Quickbooks for Windows 04, happily doing my own manual payroll entrees.

If enough mac users take advantage of Bootcamp, I'd be suprised if the Mac Versions of either software survive one or two more versions.