Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
darkwing said:
It seems to me that having PC users in the Apple store waiting for the genius bar is a good thing. It gives them a chance to see the lovely Apple products and reconsider their travel down the wrong path
People who don't know enough about computers to make iTunes work on their PC don't have enough insight into computers in general to realize they've made the wrong choice. They don't realize there is a choice. I do agree with you though--the store gives them some exposure to Apple products and at least gives them a hint that there are choices.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Horrortaxi said:
People who don't know enough about computers to make iTunes work on their PC don't have enough insight into computers in general to realize they've made the wrong choice. They don't realize there is a choice. I do agree with you though--the store gives them some exposure to Apple products and at least gives them a hint that there are choices.

Hmmm...yes and no. I mean the problem with Windows and even MacOS is that when things *don't* work at all like they're supposed to, except for the most, most, most sophisticated users, we don't know what to do. We meaning we who know how to program multiple programming languages, understand the basics of centralized and distributed application architecture, and could build a PC from components easily, so know HW too.

Like someone posted a story about printing on an Epson photo printer. They plugged it into the Win XP PC and it didn't autodetect. They rebooted and it didn't autodetect. They did manual detect and it wouldn't install. The kicker...they downloaded the installation disk and ran it and *nothing* happened. I might be able to figure it out, but if I solved it, I would have to be honest and say 85% chance it would be dumb luck -- things no more sophisticated than rebooting several times and it works one time even though each try was procedurally identical, or smacking the computer and then trying again and having it work for no reason.

Another story is, I bought a USB IRDA adapter for my PC. It worked -- the drivers installed, the TSR came up, I got an icon on my taskbar. I installed Nokia's sync utility on top of it. Fine. The sync utility could see the phone. But only for a couple seconds. It would lose connection at point blank range systematically, and never stayed connected long enough to sync. I tried tweaking every available parameter in terms of timeouts, signal strength, interference, etc, etc. Nothing. I guess if I spent a lot of time trying to get a free-after-rebate adapter to work, I might eventually, but considering that it was a backup to the sync on my work PC, I gave up.

My point is that sometimes the level of digging needed to fix these things -- and it happens on Mac's too (eg stories of AEBS's that need to be reset every couple of weeks or need you to drop and reconnect the AE card every time you wake the Mac up -- there are several people who complained about this on Macrumors and with our help couldn't solve it and just rolled over) -- my point is that sometimes these are emblemmatic of bad debugging.

And I think there are enough iTunes/PC stories from competent users to believe that's a part of the issue with that product. So, maybe there are a fair number of idiots in the line, who don't even understand a choice conceptually; there are probably a lot of people who still have hope too.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i'd like to see more windows apps. a way sharing ical calendars with windows users would be wonderful for example.

also, if the people you were waiting for are customers of the itunes music store then they have just as much right to be there are you do.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
abc123 said:
i'd like to see more windows apps. a way sharing ical calendars with windows users would be wonderful for example.

My wishlist item right behind world peace is something that would act as a gateway for a fairly diverse set of calendar apps and provide the functionality that Outlook has on an exchange srvr through the web. That would soooo rule. :)

Ninja_Turtle

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Fullerton, California
party

eh, i can see how this can be annoying...i know exactly what you mean when PC people dont even know what OS means or what OS they are running, truly idiotic...as for apple porting more iApps, i doubt it, but if they did, it would make apple lots and lots of $$$, it would mean that alot more help issues for dumb pc users and less attention to the true mac users, itll be like AOL were AOL for PC is at version 9.0 and mac is still in version 5...ugh...as for iChat AV, itll be great! i could finally talk with my PC buddies, instead of only being able to talk to my Mac buddies...but ionno
w/e apple makes or does...lets just hope its a good one...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
sigamy said:
Blah blah blah blah blah.

Grow up and welcome to the REAL world where without the iPod and the Windows market Apple would be screwed. Do you know where Apple and the iPod would be right now if they didn't provide iTunes? Dead last in online sales of songs. So instead of 70% market they would prob have 30% market but you are OK what that. You are OK if the Music industry looks at that 30% market and looks at that juicy Windows market share and says screw you to Apple for exclusive deals.

Again grow up. This is competition and if Apple didn't bring iTunes to the PC it would have been a forgone conclusion that Microsoft would have, and may still yet, walk all over Apple and the ITMS. Again I will point out to the few Mac users that live in some bubble world that's called Appleland that Mac users comprise somewhere between 3-4% of the overall market and Windows OWNS the market at somewhere in the +91% range.
And please don't give me that old excuse that Apple can survive on a small market share just like BMW or Porsche. Using the automotive industry as an example just doesn't work. BMW and Porsche doesn't depend on 3rd party products to survive. (Imagine what would happen if Adobe dropped ALL support for the Mac and MS dropped Office altogether. Laugh all you want but it would kill the Mac overnight with any serious multimedia house.)

iTunes for windows did one and only one thing: Keep the flow of iPod sales going. MusicMatch was and still is a joke. Nice features, craptastic interface and performance.

Quite honestly iTunes and iTMS for Windows was quite possibly the smartest move Apple has done in its history short of getting to the GUI before anyone else.

That being said I’m certain Apple’s Windows software will stop at iTunes. Maybe iPhoto if they release a color\video out iPod. Beyond that doubtful.

As for the knowledge of Windows users. Heh. Dude I know several Mac users that have NO freaking idea what firewire or USB is. They’ve never used an external device on their laptops EVER. Remember Macs are suppose to be simple. Setup in a matter of minutes. Do you think the average person be it Mac or PC user takes the time to learn the port names on their systems? Heck no. If you don't like standing in line there is an OPTION

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
iTunes for Windows is important to Apple

It's was definitely a clever thing to port iTunes to the Windows platform. One day in late 2003, my sister told me she had downloaded iTunes and liked it. Since I was busy back then, I missed the iTunes for Win release, so I was stunned that there was an iTunes for win. I downloaded it myself and played with it on my Toshiba notebook but that computer (1.33 GHz celeron processor) was to weak (it almost overheated) to import CDs into iTunes. I already knew that my laptop was not powerful enough for my needs but that particular experience totaly conviced me to buy a new one. Since I liked iTunes so much, I started thinking about switching and I ended up doing so. As for the question if Apple should port more apps to the Win platform, my answer is no, except for Safari. It would be great if IE got more competion and Safari, which IMO is the best web browser, could also work as bait for Windows user to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.