Letterman, O'Reilly mix it up on The Late Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Salon

I saw the episode last night, and the article does a very good job of recapping what went down.

I would add one thing. At a couple of points, Letterman asked him to defend the Iraq war, and when O'Reilly opened his mouth to answer, Letterman interrupted him and went on complaining about the loss of life. O'Reilly looked frustrated at not being given a chance to respond.

But I can only fault Dave for his lack of etiquette, not his passion. You could see clearly that Letterman felt strongly about this issue, and that's why he was fairly in a rush to get his thoughts out.

I like Dave a little more today.

And I'm surprised O'Reilly didn't tell him to shut up. :D

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That sounds a lot like the amount of time O'Reilly allows his guests to respond.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Bill O'Reilly was on Oprah's show as well. It's amazing that he can be somewhat civil anywhere. I only saw about two minutes of it but I would imagine that it wasn't much different than with David Letterman.

As far as David Letterman's etiquette goes, I'm sure he was far better than Bill O'Reilly ever is on his own show.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

he was asking Letterman if he think Bush is "evil", letterman didn't anwser directly.
    But if O'Reilly think Saddam is evil for killing people, then Bush is responsible for >200,000 people's death, where does his logic lead him to?

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The reason he was civil, I assume, is that is how he is in real life.

When he appears on other people's shows, he behaves appropriately for the audience. On his own show, he behaves in a manner that appeals to the greatest number of his viewers. It is what pays his bills. He is a TV personality that has a news/opinion show. Nothing more.

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I've actually heard the opposite, that's he's a contentious @sshole in real life, and that his civility is affected where appropriate.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

This is also a possibility. I have never met him, so I cannot say. Wouldn't surprise me though.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I though O'reilly "won" the debate. Dave was just trying to smear him and it didnt work.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You would think that.

Even if Dave was smearing O'Reilly, it isn't any different than how O'Reilly acts on his own show.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

O'Reilly was in fact more civil than I've seen him elsewhere...but Letterman made a lot more sense. (The audience seemed to think so too.)

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So the audience, clearly approving of Letterman's approach, were just a bunch of pinko commies?

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what??? you're saying Dave is a pinko commie???

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

"I'm secretly hoping when Bill O'Reilly comes out here, I'll have the opportunity to call him a bonehead," Letterman said.

-He asked Letterman: "Are you going to be on `Dancing with the Stars'?"

"Ha ha," Letterman said. "You bonehead."-

Thats funny! I think I wet myself:D

14. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Just the fact that an entertainer like Letterman can win a debate or at least do well in a debate with a political commentator (or whatever it is called) like O'Reilly says a lot about O'Reilly's capacity.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if I'd call O'Reilly anything more than an entertainer. Certainly not a political commentator.

Ever notice that Olbermann always refers to "comedian Rush Limbaugh"? Keith won't call Rush a political commentator either, because his and O'Reilly's purpose is not to enlighten or illuminate but to distort.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i doubt that.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

18. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

for letterman, he really did tear into oreilly.

Bill is an arrogant *****. he is also wrong on the issues. he is worse than dr. laura. and she is a cow.