Letters to the Editor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ambrose Chapel, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

These are letters that make me proud to be an American:

Link

link

i found both of these on atrios, which is required reading...

anyway yeah what do you think? amazed a paper would print these? the first is arizona, second is texas.

edited for spelling

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Why do I find myself doubting the fact that the first guy is an actual doctor :rolleyes:

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think it was ol' Huey Long who said that if fascism ever came to America it would come wrapped in Red, White, and Blue. I think these two prove his point.

4. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

mayhe he went to evil medical school ;)

5. vwcruisn macrumors regular

So much for the "freedom" he is fighting for eh?

Wouldn't protesting something you don't agree with be the equivelent of fighting for what you believe in anyway?

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You know, I was serious when I called these two writers fascist. That is a term I don't like to use in debate because it is so emotionally laden with meanings. However, the tactics that "Doctor" Wright suggests are straight out of the playbook of the Nazi occupation forces. The solution that Seaman Jobe suggests for dealing with all those who dissent from this war is also a duplication of authoritarian regimes throughout history.

Besides the shocking nature of such proposals, the most important aspect of them maybe that they are not that far removed from the rhetoric of many far right commentators (Ann Coulter for example) that has begun to be more and more common these days. All one has to do is hear Coulter go on about the "treason" of liberals or her comments about muslims to see that Jobe's and Wright's suggestions are probably not too unusual among some of the believers of her charges. Throw in G. Gordon Liddy, Ollie North, and a few others and we have a witch's brew of poisonous, anti-democratic rhetoric that helps give people the idea that they can make such proposals and they will be taken seriously. Scary stuff!

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect that these sentiments are harbored by more than a few people, although most won't have the courage to publicly admit to it.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It also proves Samuel Johnson's adage, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    well at least this soldier's letter, misguided as it is, doesn't appear to be part of the bush propaganda machine....

as seen here

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We should take all the people that want to hang protesters and kill Muslims and hang them.