Letting my friend borrow my mac, wanna block my files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M. Malone, Mar 26, 2007.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

hey everyone, so I have a friend who is considering switching over, I offered to let him borrow my old PowerBook that I occasionally use, I have some important files I don't want him accessing, so I was thinking of making him a separate account, but at the same time I want him to have all the administrative freedom since he will download programs and experiment with it, so what is the best way to do this? thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

you could just put your important files inside an encrypted disk image. That way if he gets into your account (reasonably easy) then he will have to guess your "strong" password.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

so is there a way I can BLOCK him out, noway for him to get into my account but still have administrative rights?

4. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Sure, when you create an account for him, check this box:

Attached Files:

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just make them an account and don't give them administrator privileges.

6. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thnaks guys, but I want him to have administrative rights, he wants to experiment with it all the way...

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Are you sure? I thought that if an account had administrator privileges it could access any file in any account by entering an admin password. I could be wrong though.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't see any benefit to this.

They'd need a little bit of Terminal knowledge to do that but they could wreck any other system level files.

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Unless you go the encrypted disk image route, I'm pretty sure there's no way to lock him out of any files if he's an administrator.

10. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Nope, the root user can. Admin users can install apps and update the OS, but can't see into other user's private areas. You can see into the Public folder and Drop Box, but that's about it, as illustrated:

Attached Files:

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

sudo chmod it.

12. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

If he's going to be fooling around with Terminal and knows his way around unix, then you probably should go the encrypted disk route if you have sensitive files.

13. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

the guy barely knows how to point and click...so this will be the route, thank you all so much :D

14. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Your friend can get into your account any number of ways: by enabling root, booting from the Install CD and running Change Password, booting it on an System 9 machine, etc. etc. :eek:
    If this isn't your primary machine, I would suggest putting those files on a CD or thumb drive.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Haha, oh wow. 10 seconds on Google and you can at least chown the files. chmod would require a little more work for something a bit more complicated then making it world readable.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Don't even need to use terminal, Just select the other users folder, "get info" then go down to "Ownership & Permissions" - Details - Hit the padlock, change the owner to you, enter an admin password. BOOM their files are your files.

That is why if they have administrator rights you have to go down the encrypted disk image route, as previously suggested.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Neh, you and your GUI. Just -R the whole thing.

Still gentleman repeat after me: admin -> sudo -> root = god

18. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You're freakin me out man, I depend on encrypted disk images as a very strong security measure. Are you saying that's not the case? I googled chown but can't really figure out how that applies. Please fill me in!

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hey i do like my GUI but i am learning my Unix.

i was merely highlighting how easy it is with an admin account to get into someone else's files (by easy i mean no terminal knowledge, just point and click)

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The encrypt disk image would work. chown = change ownership and chmod = change modifiers (permissions being one thing you can change).

You can pretty much do the same via the GUI using Get Info.

21. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I have multiple admin accts on my office machines and this routine doesn't work. You need to have root access to see other admin's files. I don't know enough about Unix to comment on the sudo chmod commands, but I can't just sudo ls the other admin's directories.

EDIT: OK that's weird. It didn't let me see into the other admin's directory until I logged into that account, and now it acts just like you guys all described. Now I'm going to have to restart and see if it still lets me.

22. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Nah, encrypted disk images are good. The most he can do is change their ownership- but he still won't be able to get into it without the password.

Any other file on the computer though...is up for grabs.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Must have a different set up because on my computer i have multiple admin accounts and it works.

I did nothing special to set this up, just hit the check box "Allow user to administer this computer" in system preferences.

24. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

not sure which part of you being friends i missed :D
    sorry, can't resist!

25. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist