Levy On MP3 Players

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Dec 13, 2003.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

According to a Toronto Newspaper, the "Copyright Board of Canada gave the go-ahead Friday on a new levy for digital audio recorder, including Apple's Hot Selling IPod (sic)"

The story states that a levy of $2 for mp3 players with under 1Gb of memory, $15 for 10Gb and under, and $25 for over 10Gb of memory.

The organization that lobbied for this levy, initially requested $1 per gigabyte. By my calculations that would be a levy of $10 000 for my 10GB iPod.

Couple of my own comments: Firstly, with the proliferation of online pay for mp3 services such as iTunes Music Store, this move is actually detrimental to the movement towards anti-piracy.

Secondly, there are many more mp3 players sold with under 1GB of memory, and I don't think the size of an mp3 player's hard/flash drive has any correlation to the amount of music pirated.

And lastly, doesn't this unfairly punish a manufacturer such as Apple that is actually providing a service for legal music downloading? If the levy's were high enough to decrease sales of iPods drastically enough, then wouldn't the iTMS be at risk of being shut down?

Comments?

Keep in mind this levy is for Canada only.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Levy On MP3 Players

And by mine it would be $10.

3. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Looks like Canadians are getting ripped by their gov.

4. skymac macrumors member

When have we not been ripped of by our gouverment. First they promise to get rid of GST and now this. its outragous, actually not really but a little pricey. thank god i already gots me an iPod:D . But i think we've been paying a levy for a few yrs now, this i think is just bringing Mp3 players into that. Before it was just CDs DVDs and MDs and watnot. Oh well we will survive(if apple lowers the reatil price of the iPod that is)

5. skymac macrumors member

Re: Levy On MP3 Players

Someones sucks at maths

j/k

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Re: Levy On MP3 Players

Just a few factors of 10, 3 to be correct.

7. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

sorry, it actually asked for $1 per MEGABYTE.