Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Anybody combine this LG monitor with their MBA? If so, which year/spec MBA do you have? I'm considering getting this monitor over a 4K TV (based on my short research, monitor is still better), unless any of you have a great experience with 4K TV with your MBA, and since I spend so much time working in front of my MBA 13".

If you guys have any experiences with this and how well it works, let me know. I'm about to pull the trigger on the thunderbolt version. I was going to wait until the late-Oct. MBP unveiling before buying this monitor but screw it, I need more productivity.

A carbonated water beverage exploded at my desk a few months back and killed my apple keyboard so I guess I'll have to get another one of those as well.

medium01.jpg

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
You will not have a good time running a 4K monitor, or a high-resolution (especially non-standard resolution) monitor from your MacBook Air, at least at native 4K resolution. There are hacks that enable the MBA to run at 4K, but I found a lot of artifacting and problems. Running the 4K monitor at a lower resolution is possible, but at that point, why not get a lower-resolution, lower-price monitor?

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I've got a Dell 34" 21:9 Ultrawide Monitor connected to my MacPro. When I connect my MacBook Air via Thunderbolt/Displayport the resolution (3440x1440) is fine but the display only refreshes at 30Hz which looks like the system is lagging. Can't recommend that. 3400x1440 are a lot of pixels to push.

MacBook Air mid 2013.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
You will not have a good time running a 4K monitor, or a high-resolution (especially non-standard resolution) monitor from your MacBook Air, at least at native 4K resolution. There are hacks that enable the MBA to run at 4K, but I found a lot of artifacting and problems. Running the 4K monitor at a lower resolution is possible, but at that point, why not get a lower-resolution, lower-price monitor?

Well, the specs say that the 13" 2013 MBA can do 2560x1600 maximum:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP678?locale=en_US

You didn't give us the exact model/type, but I think that monitor has a resolution of 3440x1440. That's a lot more pixels, and I don't think the Intel chipset can drive that.

If you do try and succeed, I'd be very curious; I've got the same Air :)

Sorry guys, I didn't post up the specific monitor but you're right its the 3440x1440.

I've got a Dell 34" 21:9 Ultrawide Monitor connected to my MacPro. When I connect my MacBook Air via Thunderbolt/Displayport the resolution (3440x1440) is fine but the display only refreshes at 30Hz which looks like the system is lagging. Can't recommend that. 3400x1440 are a lot of pixels to push.

MacBook Air mid 2013.

Is there a way to set up the computer to not have to utilize the entire monitor? I may get the new MBP so maybe I can utilize the full screen when/if I get that.

Is there a way to push for a higher refresh rate?

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
In Windows, yes.

In macOS you need switchresX to adjust the display settings

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd look into the Dell 34" newer revision that fixed issues with light bleed, yellowing and vague flickering. The LG is a fine monitor, but the Dell is simply better built in my opinion. Anyway, if you want to use a 4K monitor, you'll have to run it under lower resolution and scale everything up.

Easier said than done. OSX is a bit tricky to scale but it can work out and the scaling is miles better than the crap Redmond has put out in years.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
I'd look into the Dell 34" newer revision that fixed issues with light bleed, yellowing and vague flickering. The LG is a fine monitor, but the Dell is simply better built in my opinion. Anyway, if you want to use a 4K monitor, you'll have to run it under lower resolution and scale everything up.

Easier said than done. OSX is a bit tricky to scale but it can work out and the scaling is miles better than the crap Redmond has put out in years.

What display are you using with your MBA?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
What display are you using with your MBA?
No MBA, but I've run into the question a lot. The most common monitor I've seen/read people using is 2560x1440, where they don't suffer much performance loss and still have a legible screen. The people who I know use 4K and up displays often have a higher powered Mac. Newer Airs should be able to support 4K, but a few acquaintances I know in real life said they had trouble with jerkiness on their 2015 and 2016 Airs. There's this Ars article too that says they can do it but you'll run into some problems.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/yes-the-2015-macbook-air-supports-4k-displays-at-60hz/

I was initially looking at an optioned out Air to drive dual 30" Dell IPS but was later told by Apple it wouldn't be possible, and that even one would see negligible performance loss despite what the product page states. Just one is 2560x1600 resolution, which is what the Air page used to say according to Ars. It says it differently now, but Apple assured me that one would be fine, more would be pushing it. Results would vary with the task at hand. Interpret it as you wish. I couldn't make sense of their non-answer answer myself.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Is there a way to push for a higher refresh rate?
You're pushing against hardware limitations at this point. I was able to push my Air to display 4K, but the display was covered in artifacts and was unusable. You will not be able to exceed the 30Hz limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.