LG Chocolate phone and OSX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gmac07, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Gmac07 macrumors member

Ok I am in the market for a new phone. I have verizon and i dont think apple will come out with an iphone compatible with verizon, so that brings me to the chocolate. i like the look and feel of the phone and its easy to navigate. i just have one problem. I'm obviously buying it to have an mp3 player on my phone, so how does it work on a Mac? Can i just dump songs onto the sd card? I know itunes isnt going to work. if i am forced to download songs off vcast then its a piece of crap and pointless cuz the songs are $2 each. i have heard good things so far, but im weary about getting music onto the phone.

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I thought that you had to buy them on VCast but I could be wrong. I don't know much about VCast as I bought a phone without it (which is about to snap in half) and am stuck with it for another year and another year of bad service. God I hate Verizon.

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It isn't listed as compatible with iSync (the Samsung phones aren't either). For me that is a complete deal breaker. Doesn't matter how pretty it looks.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm pretty sure you can only buy songs from vcast.

5. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

i was thinking that maybe you can just dump songs onto the micro sd card?? i dont think the phone would sell as much as it is if you had to buy songs from them

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Not true. I have the Chocolate, and I simply bought a 2 gb micro SD card, formatted it in my PC, and dump songs onto it from my PC, and listen to them on my Chocolate. I have 400 songs on my Chocolate all kudos to the wonders that are Limewire :D

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

bragging about stealing music... cool.... :rolleyes:

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Eh, sue me (literally). I don't really care if people question my lack of morality when it comes to music downloading Hollywood, the RIAA, and the industry. If I like something enough, I'll buy it via iTunes. It's when people like you take the "moral high road" and think you're better than others because you've purchased every CD you've bought since 1988 is what gets my gills...

9. mufflon macrumors 6502

Artists have to eat as well - or are you beyond such basic needs yourself as well?
    It's not a matter of "moral high road" or not - it's a matter of basic principles (don't lie / steal / rape / kill) and act based on where your moral standpoint lies - if you believe you do something right by not buying a cd, then sure, go ahead, but if you really ask yourself and find it immoral in any form or function then you should abide by the moral standards you have in normal circumstances.

I for one can't claim a clean conscience, being a student (cliche!) I sometimes have difficulties finding certain songs, which in a sense forces me to download them in a immoral fashion, I tend to note them down and buy when I actually am able to find em (itunes has helped with this for as long as I've had a debit card - thank god!), but at this point I only have less than five songs that is not accredited as legal, songs as of yet not released in sweden.

Everyone has a moral high ground they base their decisions on, so to conclude, don't do anything you consider immoral.

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I believe your entire statement could be summed up with this phrase. The bottom line is that it's different for everyone.

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Artists do have a much harder time thanks to illegal downloading ---- let's take an example I've been looking at ----- The Click Five. They're a completely new band here, and are labeled a one hit wonder because they only sold 350,000 copies of their album when in reality (fact: for every 1 legit copy, there are 3 illegal) would have sold over a million and we'd probably be hearing from them more often and they would actually have some money. The way money trickles down in the music industry, they hardly get anything for selling 350,000 legitimate copies.

12. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Why is that? "Hearing from them more often if they would actually have some money?" Are you serious? Artists make next to NOTHING on CD sales...you check the actual statistics, but I think they make much less than a $1 on every CD sold, all their money usually comes from touring and merchandise. I don't know about the argument that millionaire's don't have any money...The Click Five is doing quite well I'm sure, you don't have to worry about them. The reason you aren't "hearing from them" is NOT because they don't have any money, I'm sorry, I just don't buy that argument.

13. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Let's have the music debate more often! I don't think it's been covered enough! :p

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's not just immoral, it's also a violation of Federal laws.

15. harveypooka macrumors 65816

"Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one." Mark Twain.

It is wrong to download music illegally. But then money and monopolies and blood thirsty companies are wrong too. Ah! It's all a bucket of hammers!

16. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

It doesn't matter if you think the large companies are "wrong" somehow, but either way, you are enjoying THEIR product, and since you are living in a capitalistic system, need to pay them.

17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

It's not that we're hearing from them, and by "CD" I don't mean physical CDs alone I also mean paid downloaded copies as well.

Yes, they do make most of their money on merchandise, but touring, no. A lot of touring money goes to the venue, any sponsors, and, the almighty label.

But still, if three times as many people paid for your album, you'd still be making money, wouldn't you be? And the world looks at how many records you "sold", and platinum sounds a lot better than sub-gold.

18. Gmac07 thread starter macrumors member

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Sorry, but I couldn't resist talking about a subject I'm passionate about.

20. mactalent99 macrumors newbie

Easier than I thought but still some issues

I just bought the LG 5880 Chocolate. After reading some of the suggestions and downloading Bitpim and jumping through some hoops to export from my old ROKR and then get into tab delimited format with Address Book Exporter, I managed to get my addresses loaded with Bitpim via Bluetooth. But Bitpim is clumsy and looked like time consuming to load images.

I bought a2GB MicroSD card and it comes with a regular SD adapter, I got a USB "23 in 1" adapter for $10 from TigerDirect that works. Plug in the adptor into the computer, drag the files and then plug into the phone. The SD card already had folders for My_Pix and my_music. the MP3's I've ripped from my CD collection work fine. As long as I don't try copy protected AAAC music it seems to work, i will have to burn those songs to CD as MP3 and then copy them.

BUT when I scroll through the files on the phone, there are small files with a ._infront of the name that must be directory entries. I tried TinkerTool to see if I could see them and delete them from the Mac but have not succeeded yet. I could go though and erase manually on te phone but that's a lot of work... especially as the scroll whee on the Chocolate leaves something to be desired....

21. hobognomadikal macrumors newbie

So, do unprotected aac files work?

You mentioned that Protected files won't work but what file formats will play? I just got one of these, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get set up on here. I would also like to be able to use it for some audio books. The next question is, how quickly does this feature kill a battery? My last question, at least for now is, can you set it up to play through a cheapo bluetooth headset? Thanks for any help. I'm brand new here.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Then start your own thread.

OP- You get your question answered?

23. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

For most verizon phones, pop the sd card out of your phone and into your usb reader, and push files to "/volumes/(sd card)/my music/" then pop it back in your phone. Most of them won't let you do much via bluetooth.

24. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

My wife had a chocolate and you should be able to just put the songs onto the SD card through a reader. One problem though is (as someone said above) that it is not compatible with iSync so you won't be able to sync your contacts, calendars, etc. If that's not an issue for you and you only want music you should be fine.

25. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

On some Verizon phones you can use them as a bluetooth modem, though file transfer is usually a no go. My crappy Nokia that was free 18mos ago can even do it, but I don't have the right plan so its moot. If you have the unlimited data plan, and broadband access connect (extra charge) too, you can dial #777, input username yournumber@vzw3g.com, password vzw, and you'll have... well you'll have what they try to pass off as broadband speeds, whatever that is. Is it worth it? Maybe. You can add or delete the access connect service at any time, but only via phone.