LG Chocolate -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChrisBrightwell, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    My wife and I are thinking about getting LG Chocolates next month when our contracts with Verizon are due. Anyone got one?

I know it's not gonna work w/ iSync, but I can handle that. I just want a decent phone. It's down to the LG Chocolate and the Motorola KRZR. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks. :)
  2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    For the simple fact the touch buttons on the LG are the most annoying thing ever invented since Jehovah's Witnesses started knocking on my front door, I'd say you have to go for the Motorola.
  3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    If you want a "decent" phone, don't get either of those. Both of them look nice but are terrible to use. Seriously, save yourself the frustration and go with a Nokia or Sony Ericsson if possible.
  4. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    :D yes, what he said.

they look slick but I think they're a complete pain to use.
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    What exactly do you mean when your contracts with Verizon are due? You make it sound as if they are going to force you to sign a new contract.
  6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    If you do get a Chocolate, the update is being released this month.

A really, really nice phone is the Samsung D900
  7. Ish macrumors 68000

Nov 30, 2004
  8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Sorry mate, but I think Samsung phones are crap too. They break very easily, call reception and quality is average, they have horrible interfaces and are completely lacking style in most cases as they're ripped off from somewhere else or they're "Ultr Samsung are innovators in a lot of their markets but their phone range is rubbish.
  9. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Saying all that, if you do want an LG chocolate, you could do worse than buying one for $115 dollars in this Mac Forums marketplace thread.
  10. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Everybody has a Samsung D900. Must be a pretty good phone (I haven't used one personally, so no idea).

Anyways, my experience with the Chocolate was okay. My friend recently got a Mint Chocolate. The mini-SD card wouldn't mount via the included computer cable on his computer. There was lots of issues just trying to transfer music. And with Verizon's shoddy interface and software, that explains a bit. This was on a PC though.

He ended up buying a USB card reader (that was the day I got my Wii by sure luck, BTW :D *ahem*). No point in trying to get the card to mount via phone. because it just didn't work despite Verizon's instructions. Finally got his music. So, spend a little extra on a card reader.

The system on the phone wasn't all that stable. It froze up pretty often on us, but that mostly happened when we tried to transfer something from the computer to the phone.
  11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    They are nice phones. I have been using Samsung since my first phone and personally i like their OS. If the OP doesnt then that is personal experience.
    I dont quite understand the bit about bad signal. They normally get more than my friend's phones on the same network. Maybe switch to a network with better coverage of your area would widen the market for you
  12. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    We're up for our "New Every Two" credit which, when paired with the discount I get through work, basically equals a free phone, as long as I avoid the smartphones.

I spent about an hour last night at the Verizon store, handling the KRZR and the Chocolate. The touch controls are a bit wonky at first, but I got used to them quickly. The KRZR is close to my current phone (Motorola v710, which I've had for two years), but I'm not enough of a Motorola fanboy to care that much.

If Verizon hadn't crippled the Bluetooth functionality of the KRZR, it would probably be a no-brainer. They did, though, which is why I'm looking at the LG Chocolate. None of the other phones at the Verizon store caught my eye, to be honest, and looking at specs online doesn't do anything to change that.
  13. ChrisBrightwell thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Verizon doesn't offer a D900.

I already have a miniSD to SD adapter and the appropriate USB readers, thanks to the memory slot on my v710, so that's not a problem. :)

I didn't plan on installing any software from LG, Motorola, or Verizon, though, so that was never really an issue.

This is the only caveat I've heard for the Chocolate, but I've also heard that recent firmware updates have stabilized it quite a bit.

14. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    My D900 is very nice, reception is a little dodgy, but thats just Orange for you. The UI on the newer Samsung phones is a cut above the rest IMO.. The moto interface particularly I can't stand.
  15. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    WHat about the 'foldable' chocolate? The LG VX-8600 it is like the KAZR and Chocolate rolled into one.
  16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i like tactile feedback when i push buttons, so i'm not very much a fan of the chocolate. plus, it's a little too thick of a phone for me. between the two, i'd go for the krzr. i'm looking for a rizr myself.
  17. vinylgrrl macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2007
    Hey all, I'm also wondering about the LGvx8500 Chocolate. I'm overdue for a new phone and was really considering the Chocolate until I heard that Verizon's newest firmware version (V5) blocks bitpim from accessing the phone's filesystem.

I was wondering if any of you have been able to use your Mac's BT to get your music mp3s onto the Chocolate? If I can't even put my own songs on the phone, there's really no reason for me to get it, since Verizon doesn't have any songs I'd want to buy (not that I would anyways....greedy Verizon!). Have you been able to do anything with Mac's BT and the Chocolate? I'm curious as to their compatibility and functionality.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  18. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    I've seen it. Friend has it. I think it looks sleek yet its easily scratched (could be because he doesn't care too) but I'd go with a Blackberry :). Razrs are overrated. (almost) Everyone has one!
  19. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    Get a Nokia. Even though all CDMA Nokias are old now, the Symbian in it is awesome.
  20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Dude. It's all about the enV. I wanted either a Chocolate or Krazr (like you) when I first started looking into phones, but I ended up with the enV and it owns either of those phones. Plus the Krazr uses Verizons "old" interface... whereas the Chocolate and the enV have the new one.
  21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    what's the deal with the enV. Whats with the qwerty keyboard. Can you go on AIM, check mail go online like the sidekick?
    i would get rid of my contract with verizon and wait for the iphone...
  22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    :rolleyes: Those 2 sentences just do not belong together. Boy would i hate having to make that decision.

Chocolate, very slow interface and it has the same flaws that any Motorola / Samsung / LG phone i have ever had the displeasure of using.

Nokia alright

Sony Ericsson - The best i have ever had

Blackberry - Never had a chance.
  23. Hummer macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2006
    Queens, New York NY-5
    I have a huge issue with Verizon not offering a truly unlimited texting plan. If my mother didn't work for Verizon I would have dropped it a long time ago. They really have an issue with locking their devices.

Anyways, go with the Samsung u740.
  24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I say get it. It's pretty--who cares if it works?
  25. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    I was also wondering a bit about the LG Chocolate. Does it require you to use songs from the Verizon store, or can you use your own mp3s? I guess this same question can be applied to any Verizon music phone as well.