Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's funny LadyX is heading over to the new Galaxy from the G4, because I've decided today that the G4 has won me over from my Galaxy S6. The expandable storage, replaceable battery, screen size, camera and form factor have won me over. Plus little things like double tap to wake and the design language of LG's skin is more to my liking than the Galaxy. They're both fantastic devices, but the little details on the G4 fit me better. There are a few things about the S6 that I'll miss though, most notably wireless charging and the fingerprint scanner. Time to take my S6 to Swappa!

It's the little things that define what device suits each of us better and when you find a nice fit - just enjoy :)

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Until the next Moto X comes out this fall, there's nothing else on my radar in the forseeable future. Mayyybbeeee the next LG Nexus phone.

The G4 is a fun device for me. Maybe it's the use of happy colors throughout the UI, but it's just a fun, enjoyable device for me right now. MRU speaks truth!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OT--but, @MRU, what devices do you currently have? Did you stay with N6 or the Moto X?.. I also believe you had the S6? I always like to occasionally ask you and @jamezr cause how frequent you guys get new devices.

Currently...

Nexus 6
IPhone 6+
Xperia z3
Lumia 930

Sold my S6 Edge just over a week ago as I was sick of waiting for a ram fix and wanted to maximise resale value when a device was otherwise sat on my desk.

Really interested in Moto X 2015 going forward and whatever Nexus device comes out.

Will likely pick up a iPhone 6s + / 7+

Interested in Note 5 as much as to see what they do with it, but personally feel Samsung have burned me this year as despite loving the design / aesthetics and hardware of the S6 Edge - they ruined my experience with the software issues I had. So unless they actually do debloat and optimise touchwiz once and for all completely (not just a new gloss of paint akin to sticking lipstick on a pig) I likely won't be buying the Note 5.

Reactions: HiDEF

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Currently...

Nexus 6
IPhone 6+
Xperia z3
Lumia 930

Sold my S6 Edge just over a week ago as I was sick of waiting for a ram fix and wanted to maximise resale value when a device was otherwise sat on my desk.

Really interested in Moto X 2015 going forward and whatever Nexus device comes out.

Interested in Note 5 as much as to see what they do with it, but personally feel Samsung have burned me this year as despite loving the design / aesthetics and hardware of the S6 Edge - they ruined my experience with the software issues I had. So unless they actually do debloat and optimise touchwiz once and for all completely (not just a new gloss of paint akin to sticking lipstick on a pig) I likely won't be buying the Note 5.
Nice!

I just sold my iP6+ due to the upcoming ip6s release. So, I'm left with my N6 which I'm enjoying.

But I keep lingering around this thread with the itch of wanting to try something new; in this case, the g4. But I think I'm going to be patient and see what's next for Android devices. Like I mention before, the LG skin seems like something I wouldn't like.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Thank you. I don't think it will help since I live in the UAE and have ordered it from a UAE online retailer. And yes it is unlocked :)

Ah hah...and I got all excited thinking we could get that color Stateside! Lucky you :)

Reactions: LadyX

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Currently...

Nexus 6
IPhone 6+
Xperia z3
Lumia 930

You phone whore lol :p

Would you recommend getting the Z3 ? for daily use ? ... I was at TMobile and the guy kept telling me its extremely fragile and they've had a lot of people complain about how easily the back glass breaks... I was really interested in that device, but was strayed away by what he said...

A few more queries regarding the Z3

- How is the screen visbility in bright Sunlight ? compared to say...the Note 4
- How is the battery if I were to stream alot of music ( Spotify ) with a great LTE connection ?
- Does the z3 heat up while using the GPS plus streaming music, and emails getting pushed ?
- How is the camera compared to the Note 4 or iPhone 6 ?
- Is the speakerphone decent enough to use outdoors ?

One last question ( sorry to bug ya man!! but you're the best resource lol )

Between the Note 4 and Z3, which would you keep if you could only keep one of'em ?

I'd trust your input over his...so pls comment :)Thanks!!

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You phone whore lol :p

Would you recommend getting the Z3 ? for daily use ? ... I was at TMobile and the guy kept telling me its extremely fragile and they've had a lot of people complain about how easily the back glass breaks... I was really interested in that device, but was strayed away by what he said...

A few more queries regarding the Z3

- How is the screen visbility in bright Sunlight ? compared to say...the Note 4
- How is the battery if I were to stream alot of music ( Spotify ) with a great LTE connection ?
- Does the z3 heat up while using the GPS plus streaming music, and emails getting pushed ?
- How is the camera compared to the Note 4 or iPhone 6 ?
- Is the speakerphone decent enough to use outdoors ?

One last question ( sorry to bug ya man!! but you're the best resource lol )

Between the Note 4 and Z3, which would you keep if you could only keep one of'em ?

I'd trust your input over his...so pls comment :)Thanks!!

1. Outdoor visibility - I do tend to find LCD better at managing reliable outdoor viewing. Certainly the Note 4 is one of the best super Amoled displays and copes with outdoor visibility far better than other Amoled devices such as Nexus 6. But personally I'd still give the nod to the LCD panel in the Z3.

2. Stick phone on stamina mode and it should be able to cope decently. To be honest I only recently got LTE in my area but see little difference battery impact wise over 3G.
Not sure if there would be much of a difference between the Z3 and Nite 4 here, however with the Note 4 you can always carry another battery. I honestly tend to also download content from Google Play Music for offline use simply because our data caps here even with LTE are not greatest.

3. I've actually had no heating issue with the Z3. Coming from both the S6 Edge which can get warm on its glass back panel and the HTC M9 which too gets warm - the Z3 performs much like the N6, Moto X 2014 in that I don't really notice any heat. Even using it for remote play from my PS4 I can't say it gets warm.

4. Camera is decent, a definite step up over the Z2 and if you use Manual mode and its presets you get some great photos. I'm happy with it. That being said I think the Note 4 produces more consistent shots / performance when used in auto mode as a quick snapper. Likewise if you use superior auto mode on the Z3 your image will only be 8mp even though there is a 20mp sensor which is annoying. Only way to take 20mp is with manual mode - however it's not really manual like the Lumia Pro Camera - it still has presets for things like landscapes etc.

5. Speakers on full volume are decent, honestly it's not as good as say Nexus 6 which can get very loud - but it's certainly on par with the Note 4. I read some comments that some folks though speakers sounded duller after being submerged in water but can not attest to this.

6. Glass... Certainly it's more fragile than Note 4 I guess - two sides glass v one. However if suggest sticking a decent tempered glass screen protector front and back - one with oleophobic coating and you should be somewhat better protected. However of course you always risk damaging phone - if you break the back glass you'll be pleased to know it's actually not too hard to remove. A little suction cup to grip it and you can pull it off the device and replace the back panel yourself with a new back from eBay for around $15-20. But certainly note 4 back panel is easier to replace if it gets scuffed.

7. Between the two ? Both great handsets and it really depends on your own intended daily usage pattern. If you need a bigger screen, need pen input and don't mind Touchwiz then clearly the Note 4 would be better option. If on the other hand you need something more one hand friendly, waterproof with a very near stock android aesthetic albeit with plenty of enhancements, a device that feels less 'hampered' at times by its software then I think the Z3 is better. Especially if you do want things like PS4 remote play and the Sony additional apps like Gallery (album) and Music are better than the stock equivalents from Samsung. I can't say which for you is better - but for me I would choose the software from the Z3 over the Note 4 as my deciding factor - however in hypothetical land if I could have the exact same software from the Z3 on the Note 4 and price was the same - if likely choose it over the Z3. As that isn't the case for me the Z3 is a better fit.

Reactions: M5RahuL

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Sooo, eBay has the European variant on sale for $499... Very tempting...

My bad for posting it in the wrong thread earlier, lol.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Good price, esp with 4x eBay bucks..makes it 460 iirc.

I returned mine because the screen was near useless in bright Sunlight..esp compared to the Note 4. Otherwise, great device!

Reactions: HiDEF

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Good price, esp with 4x eBay bucks..makes it 460 iirc.

I returned mine because the screen was near useless in bright Sunlight..esp compared to the Note 4. Otherwise, great device!

Not a problem for me.

In the UK... There is no bright sunlight!

Reactions: MRU

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got an update on Wednesday.

Software Version: V10b-JUN-12-2015

1) Usability improvements through Google patch.
2) Phone usability and functionality has been further improved.

Whatever that means :D

Glad LG are keeping up their quick update cycles, great stuff.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Update after a good month with the G4.

It's a great all-rounder for sure. But I'm not sure about certain things...

I love the G4 is most respects, it's taken the G3 and bettered it in every way. But the camera, I'm not getting consistently great results - outside, it takes great shots. Inside, very hit and miss.

And the big thing - it looks GREAT on the camera, but then I post it/email it and look at it on any other screen/PC and it looks totally different and duller, really bizarre.

Generally I'm happy with the G4 for sure, though. Just the camera - I still think the S6 is a better all-rounder for sure (I had the S6 Edge for a week).

Just my thoughts after a month with it. Put it this way - I can see why the G4 is not selling very well.

I thought it would easily last me a year, but after a month I'm already slightly wavering. Let's see how the next 2 months pan out.

Reactions: apolloa and MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I likely won't be buying the Note 5.
rWESX.gif

Come on now, you know you will buy it!

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Besides the common and well loved Galaxy the LG has captured my fancy as mate to my iPhone.

LG or Samsung as other when I already have and love 6 plus?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Update after a good month with the G4.

It's a great all-rounder for sure. But I'm not sure about certain things...

I love the G4 is most respects, it's taken the G3 and bettered it in every way. But the camera, I'm not getting consistently great results - outside, it takes great shots. Inside, very hit and miss.

And the big thing - it looks GREAT on the camera, but then I post it/email it and look at it on any other screen/PC and it looks totally different and duller, really bizarre.

Generally I'm happy with the G4 for sure, though. Just the camera - I still think the S6 is a better all-rounder for sure (I had the S6 Edge for a week).

Just my thoughts after a month with it. Put it this way - I can see why the G4 is not selling very well.

I thought it would easily last me a year, but after a month I'm already slightly wavering. Let's see how the next 2 months pan out.

Hmmm thanks for that info, based on the news today that Sony's rumoured next high end devices, the Z5 and Z5 Compact, will retain the current screen resolutions and also run the Snap Dragon 810 SOC, then they are off my radar.

So I will now look at the Nexus 5 2015 camera dependant, iPhone 6S and the Note 4 and 5, so to hear the Note 4 has consistently good camera performance I will take a look. Never thought I would get a phablet, like ever, but my thumbs aren't getting more nimble haha. And with the new iPod Touch then that will take care of my iOS needs.

What's the cellular reception like on the Note?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Cellular reception on my Note 4 is better than on my iPhone 5S and 6

Heck, Note 4's reception is better than my Nexus 6 too!

I absolutely freaking LOVE the Note 4!

Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.