LG Nexus 4 and Optimus G killer bug

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by KAB2010, Nov 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

From doing a simple google search, as well as going through threads on xda forums, it appears both devices suffer from the same bug. Whether it affects all devices is questionable, but it is concerning. When on 3G (or HSPA+) the phone has an alarming amount of wakelocks, not allowing it to go into deep sleep. This results in massive battery drain.

I even tested the Optimus G for a few days and it was definitely present. There are threads for every version of the OG on XDA, and people are reporting the issue on each one. The Android OS is generally using up to 55-75% of the battery due to these wakelocks.

I returned the OG for the iPhone 5 because of this. No one seems to know whether its a software or hardware issue. I wish it would be fixed, cause I'd possibly keep the OG over the iPhone 5.

2. Guest

Nexus 4 running Android 4.2

1 hr and 49 mins of screen time. 9% battery life left.

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 603

Oletros

I don't have wakelocks

4. macrumors 6502a

Neither do I ..the screen is the main culprit for me when it comes to battery drain. I've installed juice defender and at the end of the day the screen is only responsible for about 35-40% of the drain now because I set the minimum brightness down to -60% of its usual minimum.

5. macrumors 603

Oletros

Your Nexus 4?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Well the screen should be using the most of course.. But these wake lock issues have absolutely destroyed the Optimus G to the point of causing me to return it. Again, only happens when you are not connected to LTE. The nexus 4 xda forum has had posts of the same issues, but it seems to be more widespread on the OG.

7. Guest

8. macrumors 604

cynics

I wonder what the phones are doing? I know email fetch will contribute to an iPhones usage time. Maybe it something like that?

9. macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

10. Guest

The screen is using 49% of the battery.

What do you think?

11. macrumors 603

ChazUK

I'm not sure I'd I'm suffering this killer bug but my phone doesn't spend much time in deep sleep.

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 603

Oletros

My stats say that in 52 hour the Nexus 4 has spent 68% in deep state, 22% in 384MHz and the remaining 10% between the other frequencies

13. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Your phone has been on a single charge for 52 hours?

----------

Screen on time?

14. macrumors 603

Oletros

CPU Spy stats are from the last boot

15. macrumors 603

ChazUK

An appallingly low 1h 6 minutes. :(

16. macrumors 604

cynics

Unfortunately according to that pic the screen pretty much single handily did that. If say for example they were running a playstation emulator playing Gran Turismo you might expect battery usage like that but the emulator app would show up in the usage on the right hand side.

The thing that is very strange about that pic is there is NO app that is using power. To do that you'd have to never venture outside the OS itself. For example my browser app is pretty high on the battery usage list a lot of the time. I'd say there is something wrong there because essentially that phone was only used for a bit less then 2 hours plus phone calls which usually the screen is off but even that is low on the usage list.

17. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The idle drain is not normal. Most likely kernel related. Android 4.2 is pretty buggy compared to 4.1.2. My verizon galaxy nexus on cm10 4.1.2 drains maybe a percent an hour during idle.

18. macrumors 6502a

Some people are complaining that this is due to bugs in Android 4.2. That would be the best case scenario since at least it can be patched.

Also, you may want to try running JuiceDefender. It manages you wifi and data connection, so that they turn off automatically when idle.

19. Guest

Tips from other sites.

Turn off Google Now.
    Turn off NFC.
    Turn off Bluetooth
    Turn off WiFi.

Kill off a bunch of services you don't need.
    Reduce screen brightness to 15% to 30% of full brightness.

20. macrumors 6502a

But it becomes a hassle to do all this manually. Unless you get an automation app like tasker. Then it's fine.

21. macrumors regular

So basically take all the new inovative features away and use it as a paper weight? Sweet.

22. Guest

You are not getting any disagreements from me. I'm getting a note 2. Should arrive today. :D

23. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Oh ok I had no idea.

Yeah that's not great. Hopefully Google will find a fix or maybe CyanogenMod will before then. I probably won't stay stock whenever my Nexus 4 arrives. Any news on that or do you not like to flash custom ROMs?

24. macrumors 68000

daveathall

Touch wood, I don't seem to have the problem. I'm absolutely loving this phone.

25. macrumors 68010

Yikes...