LG officially calling Apple's iPhone a copycat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vtorch, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Vtorch macrumors member

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/14/lg-officially-calling-apples-iphone-a-copycat/

We'll admit, we weren't the first ones to take a hard look at Apple's iPhone and see the similarities between it and LG's Prada (KE850), but now the momentous whispers have finally got to the head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, and it's on. While Apple fights its meager battles with trademarks, and we're left to wonder just how much loot Jobs and friends stand to make off this thing, Woo-Young Kwak has reportedly dubbed the iPhone an outright "copycat" of the device that won the International Forum Design Product Design Award. Of course, there are those out there trying to maintain the peace, as Mr. Kang-Heui Cha, Senior Manager of MC Design Research Lab, has stated that LG's handset "focused on interfaces," while Cupertino's pride and joy "emphasized a music phone concept," but even that seems like a weak argument at best. But hey, Steve's already voiced his opinion on the highly controversial "to DRM or not to DRM" issue, so we expect hope a rebuttal is already in the works, as this one's got the makings of a real catfight. [Warning: Read link requires subscription]

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what do you think?

I would say they call apple copycat, just because they know apple fans will soon call them copycat, its "prevention strike".

finally, if u ask me, i think full touch screen is not new invention, is not patent, everybody can use it, unless there are something else, both side can stop BSing.

3. iShak macrumors 6502

LG to apple: start your photocopiers!

steve flicks the switch.

4. MP4-22 macrumors member

I don't think Apple really had a choice on what design to use if they wanted to have the Multitouch interface. Plus, a giant touchscreen, it shouldn't have been to hard to think of that.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

HOLY $#*!...Apple copied the idea of having a phone with a giant touch screen!!!! OMG, STOP THE PRESSES!!! NEXT IN THE SIX O CLOCK NEWS, FORD COPIES TOYOTA'S IDEA OF HAVING 4 WHEELS ON THEIR CAR!!! In other news, Samsung is being sued by Sony for using Plasma technology in flat panel televisions, and Nokia is suing Motorola for having 12 dialing buttons on their phones...more at 11.

That's idiotic. This is the direction ALL phones are going in the next year or two. Besides, companies have been copying Apple's hardware for years, but it's not the hardware that matters, it's the software. Until I see the LG Prada work the way I've seen the iPhone work...this argument holds no water.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I still don't get how people are missing the massive difference in the interface manipulation between the Apple and LG products.

7. cbud macrumors member

They just want some press. I don't see a law suit in this. LG is pissed that they spent so much time/money on their 'award winning' touch screen phone and did not get any press. Competing with Apple is very tough; these companies will do whatever they can to get a boost.

8. iShak macrumors 6502

atleast come with your own examples mate ;)

kiddin .. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3351826&postcount=80

i totally agree with you, but when its the other way round (someone else copies apple or its product) apple fanboy's start moaning.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

TOTALLY didn't see that. I agree that when it's the other way around, the fanboy's start moaning. But it's usually the fanboys who don't understand the depth and breadth to which companies copy Apple.

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

First of all this site calls the LG an "iphone-alike" along with this phone http://news.com.com/2300-1035_3-6158987-1.html (wow seperated at birth! :rolleyes: )

Can you really blame LG for wanting it to be known that THEY were the first to have a touchscreen phone and not Apple? The best way to do that is to stir up a bit of controversy. Plus some of the things in the interface are shockingly similair but I believe its just a coincidence. Im sure LG is getting fed up with everyone saying that LG ripped off Apple, the only time they get mentioned is when some fanboy lumps it with other iphone copycats.

I havent seen many people complain when LG gets labled a copycat.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for those who say apple isnt a copy cat in regards to this and claim microsoft is with vista are hypocrits. i mean, i remember reading about lg's phone in a popular science magazine a year or 2 ago so lg definitly had that concept out way before apple did.

apple isn't always original just deal with it

therefore MS did not copy tiger just like apple did not copy lg...or they both copied so which is it

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

For the zillionth time, Apple's phone is original in it's interface manipulation and features (full web browser, for example).

Microsoft didn't copy Tiger. They copied System Software 1.0.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

interface manipulation? i didnt think i said they had the same interface. how can you not say the iphone was inspired by the lg? of course they are different. just like vista has a different interface then osx but vista was inspired by osx. you get my point?

you can copy something in concept and improve it as the iphone has done you know

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

LG one up apple on this one...the design is too close and LG bought it to light first.

Bless

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Not everything from apple is original, and unfortunately, this touch screen stuff isn't original from apple, neither is multi touch tech.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Who else has that?

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oops, let me state more clearly, both touch screen and multi touch tech have been invented (not by apple) decades ago. I didn't say anything else.

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I want you to show me what phone has anything like multi-touch.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep, Apple clearly was the copy-cat. Here's what happened:

Steve said he had waited 2 and a half years to make the iPhone announcement. What he didn't tell you was that for those first two years, the Apple engineers on the top-secret iPhone project couldn't come up with anything. Maybe they sat around, in their top-secret lab, looking at rotary phones and 1st-gen iPods, trying to figure out how to hook the two up. Rumor has it one died of boredom, and another quit to go work at Microsoft (something about a revolutionary new music player device).

Then, a few months ago, when LG showed their phone concept, the Apple engineers rejoiced, and went into very severe overdrive trying to make a copy. They had to rush, because they only had a few weeks to produce. They worked only from press releases, pre-release photos and mockups, and grainy cell-phone camera images taken in elevators. They needed engineering drawings, models, tooling, metal and plastic molds. They needed feasibility studies, human factors engineering, plus of course they had to write all those patent applications. Don't forget, they also had to make a tiny embedded version of OS X with all those apps. I'm sure it was just a simple checkbox in XCode, though.

The engineers worked 24/7, in shifts. Some didn't see their families for weeks at a time. Remember, they only had a few months to get it out. But I guess it was only fair, given they'd sat around for two years doing absolutely nothing.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did i say that? or did i mean that? why should I show u that? if i didn't say that nor mean that? are you confused?
    u wanna say "apple is the first to put them together into a phone"? thats fine with me, but the tech is not apple's original, is that clear for you now? or you wanna argue that with me?

also. btw, apple isn't the first one to put out a full touch screen phone. I hope you admit that.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I seriously have trouble understanding what you're saying in almost every post you make. I don't get what point you're trying to make at all. Yes, there have been touch-sensitive screens since the 1980s. What the hell does that have to do with the iPhone's interface?

Stop focusing on the touch screen. That's not what we're talking about. Nobody claims Apple invented touch screens. I don't understand how you even inferred that that was what anybody was saying in the first place.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this is how difficult for you to admit anything. I won't bother then, if u can't understand what I said. Please, we can both save some energy. have fun

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What is it that needs admitting? What are you talking about?

24. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

everybody copies everybody. Apple got their original OS from Xerox. The whole mouse thing and GUI stuff. Apple kicked out Jobs and brought him back because they liked his OS.

There is NO WAY, apple did not know that is that the LG phone looked like before they talked about the iphone. Maybe they copied it, or maybe they were going to make it look like that anyway. Who knows.

TS

25. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/ui_history.html

Go clear that myth about Apple stealing Xerox please.

A mobile phone like this takes years to develop, it's impossible that Apple copied LG on this one.
    The thing is, why would Apple copy anyone? They have the best design team, they make the most beautiful stuff around, why would they need to clone a crappy LG ? :)