Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
No one panel is the same. In particular, if the profile isn't displayed above the dividing line, it was not created for your specific 'model.' You can find out your model by opening the default Color LCD profile in ColorSync and scrolling down to mmod. For example, a model hex of 00009CDF means finding profiles for 9CDF. Obviously, a profile created for your display model doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be appropriate for your panel.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
No one panel is the same. In particular, if the profile isn't displayed above the dividing line, it was not created for your specific 'model.' You can find out your model by opening the default Color LCD profile in ColorSync and scrolling down to mmod. For example, a model hex of 00009CDF means finding profiles for 9CDF. Obviously, a profile created for your display model doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be appropriate for your panel.

Also, there is variation within the same screen model. Manufacturers have built in tolerance. So calibration for one person may not be absolutely perfect for another person. That being said, I found one on this thread that is great for my 11.6" LG screen. Thanks Kafka for your hard work! Great eye!!

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Since starting this thread i have tried each profile posted and still find some have a yellow/sepia cast to them.

Our screens could differ but here is my profile which was created under 50% brightness.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Expert Calibrated 5.icc

All things were altered, contrast, luminosity and colour temperature. It should give accurate contrast and colour which is very important for my digital photography and it removes the yellow cast.

Some profiles posted are boosting contrast and colour more than natural, this should give a neutral response when the screen is roughly at 50% brightness.

this one looks like it could work great...a little on the cool side, but it's probably only noticeable because the one i was using before was warm so i'm sure i'll get used to it. we'll see how it goes. i am able to see all levels of grays which is good.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Also, there is variation within the same screen model. Manufacturers have built in tolerance. So calibration for one person may not be absolutely perfect for another person. That being said, I found one on this thread that is great for my 11.6" LG screen. Thanks Kafka for your hard work! Great eye!!

Wow wow, that's not my work I took it from this forum :)
I'm actually unable to do the calibration thing myself properly, my results are always horrible.

By the way, someone said that the profile I posted eats blacks and it's very true, I found this one that's a bit better in the dark areas, but the bright colors pop a bit less. Kind of an in-between that looks great too:
http://db.tt/eG110E2

EDIT: the original name was CustomMacRumors.icc

shawnmac

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Since starting this thread i have tried each profile posted and still find some have a yellow/sepia cast to them.

Our screens could differ but here is my profile which was created under 50% brightness.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Expert Calibrated 5.icc

All things were altered, contrast, luminosity and colour temperature. It should give accurate contrast and colour which is very important for my digital photography and it removes the yellow cast.

Some profiles posted are boosting contrast and colour more than natural, this should give a neutral response when the screen is roughly at 50% brightness.

Does this look Blue-ish to anyone else? It's above the line in display options so it does appear OSX says it's made for this panel.

shawnmac

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
it does...but i'm used to it now.

Ya, so am I after looking at it for a few minutes. However, is it supposed too? I'm not sure what colors should look what ways now. For example, open up a window with the CustomMacRumors.icc file posted a little higher in this thread and then compare it to this profile. This profile shows windows that are blue where others show the same window grey. What color should it be?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Ya, so am I after looking at it for a few minutes. However, is it supposed too? I'm not sure what colors should look what ways now. For example, open up a window with the CustomMacRumors.icc file posted a little higher in this thread and then compare it to this profile. This profile shows windows that are blue where others show the same window grey. What color should it be?

Here's a Pantone color chart that may be helpful

http://www.loyaltyprint.com.au/Colour Chart.htm

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
My profile will look a little cool when compared directly after the default which has a yellow cast.

The white point in the default profile is way off. The one i posted aims to identify this problem and all shades of grey should be accurate too. Skin tones should appear correct too.

It should not longer appear cool after some use, you will find the roles reversed when you go back to the default profile after a day, it will look way too warm and yellow.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
What you say about the white point, could that be a reason for what I'm talking about in this thread? Please see it when you get a chance. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1203090/

I believe a correctly calibrated white point does help when reading text. Simply because black text on a white background gives a high contrast and high contrast can lead to better perceived sharpness, i.e. letters are more defined and easier to read. I posted in your other thread about it. I believe the correct colour profile and brightness level will make a big difference. Don't run your brightness too low or too high, perhaps 50% for a good even ambient lighting, more for sunlight etc and even only 2 - 3 clicks from left when in dark rooms.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks. Without another computer/screen to compare, how would you use this chart to make sure colors look accurate?

Do you have a good color printer? You could print out the chart. You can also find free hard copies at paint stores and art supply stores.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do you have a good color printer? You could print out the chart. You can also find free hard copies at paint stores and art supply stores.

Of course, if your printer isn't properly calibrated, that won't work either. :)

dland2

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
I am new to mac and have no idea how to add a profile to calibrate the LG screen. I want to use this: MBA139CDF.icc. Can somebody please tell me how to do this in the simplest way possible? Thank you for your help =)

dland2

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Also, does anyone know the default Macbook Air 2011 13" Color LCD profile? I may have erased it.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I am new to mac and have no idea how to add a profile to calibrate the LG screen. I want to use this: MBA139CDF.icc. Can somebody please tell me how to do this in the simplest way possible? Thank you for your help =)

Please read. It has been explained multiple times in this thread.

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Yes the farthest 2 blocks on the red and green channels are clipping

Although the colour reproduction and contrast is vastly improved with the custom calibration.

Do Samsung screens hold the definition in the red and green channels?

How about the blue?

I am using a spyder 3

My blue channels are clipping, perhaps 6 (!) of the brightest blues, 4 green and 4 red.

Lg Phillips monitor

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Possible explanation for washed out screens?

Used migration assistant to move over programs and files from an imac to the air. Noticed the samsung screen looked really washed out, crap! Went under display profiles, and saw that profiles for the auxiliary screens on my imac were there.

Now, I know I also did the same thing for my air with the LG screen.

What I'm wondering about is did migration assistant take the color LCD profile for my iMac and overwrite that of my Macbook Air? Going into the profile on my library folder, it showed the 'color lcd' profile with today's date.

So, for those complaining about your screen, out of curiosity, have any of you used migration assistant recently as well?

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Interestingly, the color ramp looks perfectly fine in windows, both calibrated and uncalibrated.

The saturation pales in comparison to my ips monitors though =/

Something weird is going on here.

update:

I took the windows icc profile, loaded it into lion, and there's no improvement. the colors are still clipping!

update 2:

I was wrong. There IS A DIFFERENCE! What I did wrong was that lion has to be RESTARTED after changing the profile in order for the changes to the color to take effect!

In short, the windows ICC profile allows the entire colour ramp to be shown.

Link to the windows ICC profile:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21137544/Benchmarks and pictures/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.