Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Please add all your issues/bugs into this thread, it may be handy for us when/if we need to contact Apple or LG about issues with this display (hopefully most can be fixed via firmware or driver updates)

Parent thread:

LG UltraFine 5K - Owners Thread

otakustay

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
For the sleep/awake issue, previously everytime I sleep my Mac when connected to 5K display, it requires a fresh login when wake up and all apps are restarted

Yesterday I unchecked "PowerNap", "Sleep Hard Disk" and "Wake on Lan" in system preference and after a night's sleep it wake up correctly this morning, so I thinks it has something to do with these 3 options, will further test which option does the trick

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
I have the latest Sierra beta and so far I haven't had any sleep issues. If I close the lid the MacBook doesn't go to sleep though and I have to put to sleep from the Apple menu bar or wait for it to go to sleep after 10 minutes of no usage.

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
For the sleep/awake issue, previously everytime I sleep my Mac when connected to 5K display, it requires a fresh login when wake up and all apps are restarted

Yesterday I unchecked "PowerNap", "Sleep Hard Disk" and "Wake on Lan" in system preference and after a night's sleep it wake up correctly this morning, so I thinks it has something to do with these 3 options, will further test which option does the trick

I'm testing these options.

dasgooch

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I have a strange issue that is only present when the LG 5k is connected and I am using my apple watch to login to my account. All inputs flicker several times and it takes 10-15 seconds to get a usable desktop. If I disable apple watch login the problem goes away. This problem doesn't exist with other monitors connected without the 5k or with no external displays connected.

stand alone thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/lg-5k-ultrafine-and-apple-watch-unlocking-issue.2024657/

Last edited:

Stealth66

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
UK
I mentioned this in a previous post - one of the two LG 5k's I ordered arrived with a faulty Thunderbolt 3 cable - the MBP screen kept blinking in and out as if changing resolution and video on the LG 5k attached to the other end of the cable wouldn't work at all, even though the MBP was being charged by the TB3 cable. I thought it'd just be a case of swapping out the cable; I was wrong!

LG (UK) support didn't even have the 5k on their system and were unable to help! I thought i'd be able to order a replacement cable from my local Apple Store, but as the LG 5k isn't an Apple product, I was told they don't keep inventory of parts and that the only option was to return the whole screen for a refund/replacement. I then called Apple support who were great and escalated the case. As a consequence they're sending out a replacement display before I send back the faulty cable (and display).

Incidentally, my local Apple Store let me have (foc) a Belkin 2m TB3 cable to try out. This actually seems to work fine in every respect, but as the Belkin cable is only rated for supplying 60w of charge (vs the MBP-friendly 85w over the LG 5k cable) - I chose to go ahead with the replacement. This seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I presume replacement parts will become more readily available when supply is less constrained?

The Belkin cable looks identical to the LG one, but I do feel that the Belkin cable seems more robust than the LG one!? I read another post in these forums where someone has a LG 5k cable which works but is a bit flaky? I hope this post helps them and anyone else with the same problem.

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
Stealth66, I have the same issue when trying to figure out why the product was removed from the Swiss store or when it'll be available again. LG knows nothing and points to Apple. Apple says nothing and just points out that it is a third party product.
Even though this screen is made for the MacBook Pro in mind, no one seems to be responsible. I guess that's why there are quite a few bugs with this notebook/screeen combination that shouldn't be there with proper testing and quality control.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
The Belkin cable looks identical to the LG one, but I do feel that the Belkin cable seems more robust than the LG one!? I read another post in these forums where someone has a LG 5k cable which works but is a bit flaky? I hope this post helps them and anyone else with the same problem.

I am concerned about the cable as well - it is very 'soft' and in clamshell mode I fear that it's going to stop working after some use due to it having to 'flop' down.

triggerken

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
Norway
I am having a puzzle with adjusting brightness on my setup. (MBP 15" and 2xLG 5K) Adjusting brightness via keyboard changes only one of the displays (LG UltraFine (1) and not the other one. Also I find it very sluggish when adjusting, several seconds of delay. Anything I have missed or is this the way it supposed to be?

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Just to report sleep wake issue still there now after I unchecked Power Nap, Wake on LAN and Sleep disk.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
So I have been expirencing the same sleep / wake issues since upgradeing to 10.12.2 with my thunderbolt displays so I'm not totally convinced it's the LG displays. Has anyone else expirenced this and does any one have an earlier version of Sierra? Perhaps it's the thunderbolt itself?

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Strange thing happened tonight when I disconnected the LG, a loud, buzzer-like alarm went off. I was about to restart and was quitting applications when I discovered that Safari was the culprit. After I quit Safari, the buzzer was gone.

I found no mention of this bug in this thread, so I guess I'm the only one. BTW, I had ejected hard drives connected to the USB-C ports so it was disconnected as it should be.

Do I have to put the computer to sleep before disconnecting? It has worked fine like this before.

neil218

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
I am having the sleep/wake issue with LG 4K, it's definitely a macOS's problem.

More precisely, I have discovered 3 scenarios.

1. Fresh login when wake up. The machine basically reboots itself for some unknown reasons.

2. External display doesn't wake up, but the internal display does and the cursor movement becomes extremely laggy. A easy fix is to replug the cable.

3. External and internal displays don't wake up. I have to force restart the machine, very annoying.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Contrast/brightness

Anyone else think there is too much contrast with lower brightness levels, or rather, the lack of being able to control it? I'd like to reduce the backlight (which I believe is connected to the 'brightness' option that we can control) but increase the overall brightness. In other words an option to control contrast (i.e. reduce it).

Having a display too bright is bad for your eyes, but turning down the brightness on this display makes it less usable due to incorrect contrast.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone else think there is too much contrast with lower brightness levels, or rather, the lack of being able to control it?

Not really... could you do the option click advanced calibration on the color profile and get something closer to what you want maybe? I ran through that and got a slightly warmer image than the default LG profile.

===

On my 13" Touchbar I'm not seeing the wake/sleep issues others are reporting at all.

I mentioned in my review on the other thread I thought maybe I had a bad cable because any little bump of the cable on the monitor end would drop the connection. I unplugged and plugged the port back in several times and that seems to have fixed itself. I can now grab the cable on the monitor and wiggle it pretty hard and nothing happens. So maybe there was some dirt or dust in there or something. Who knows?

The only issue I have now it I have the Belkin ethernet adaptor and a external backup drive attached to the monitor. If I reboot or sleep, they continue to work fine. But if I open the MacBook and disconnect the monitor cable then reconnect, neither device is recognized. I have to either reboot or replug both devices to get them recognized.

I don't disconnect to run portable very often, so this is tolerable for now and I think I'll go ahead and get rid of my old TB display Monday and keep this LG. Hoping a firmware update fixes some of these issues folks are having.

Last edited:
Reactions: iBrooker

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Not really... could you do the option click advanced calibration on the color profile and get something closer to what you want maybe? I ran through that and got a slightly warmer image than the default LG profile.

Thanks, I'll give that a try (I wondered where that option had gone!)

Reactions: Weaselboy

Mike Delta

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I thought I saw a post on MacRumors on disabling the auto start up feature on the new Mac's. I wonder if the new feature could have any effect on regular sleep/wake functions. It would be interesting to see if the issues are still present after disabling auto start up.

otakustay

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
Previously I have met all 3 types of sleep/awake issue (fresh login, 5K not wake up, all screen not wake up), now I have been away from the sleep/awake issue for 3 days, here are facts which may help:

1. Uncheck "Wake on Lan" and "Power Nap" in system preference, after this I never hit the "fresh login" issue, it is extremely possible that Power Nap causes a logout when sleep
2. DO NOT close MBP's cover until mac is completely slept, it may be hard to determine whether it is slept completely, my method is to connect a SD card reader to 5K external display, when mac is slept the light on card reader will close
3. DO NOT unplug the TB3 cable when mac does not fully wake up, a safer way is always unplug the cable when you logged in to desktop

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Posted this in the owners thread...the MacBook Pro non touch bar base model isn't powerful enough to drive the the 5k screen smoothly. It is extremely slow.

iBrooker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
UK
Mission control via hot corner - jerky animation

Can someone please verify this? Turn on hot corners in system prefs and assign the top left to Mission Control. Put a few apps into 'fullscreen mode' and then go to one of them and go to the top eft (mission control) hot corner. Do you get smooth or jerky animation?

I don't think this is restricted to this monitor and is more of an OS X issue, it started happening a few releases ago. But still curious to know whether it happens for anyone else. Thanks.

Dukat

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Mission control via hot corner - jerky animation

Can someone please verify this? Turn on hot corners in system prefs and assign the top left to Mission Control. Put a few apps into 'fullscreen mode' and then go to one of them and go to the top eft (mission control) hot corner. Do you get smooth or jerky animation?

I don't think this is restricted to this monitor and is more of an OS X issue, it started happening a few releases ago. But still curious to know whether it happens for anyone else. Thanks.

When I do as you ask on the 2016 13" (no monitor), the first time it is jerky while everything loads into the mission control view. After the first time it's smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.