LG VX8100

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Butler Trumpet, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Okay, so I have verizon, and my new every two just came up (if you dont know... every two years you get $100 towards the purchase of a new phone) Anyway, I knew it was coming, so I did some research and though that the best phone that was in my price range, was going to be the LG VX8100, so I have it now, and it is great... other than..... you cant hear anything on it! This is really kinda a warning I guess... the features on the phone are great, the camera is great.. but seriously... i have the volume all the way up, and I can barely hear the person on the other end.

So I think Im going to take it back and get a Motorola E815 (this one even syncs with iSync) So I dont know why I got the LG, but its going back

Any thoughts?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Lets us know how you like the mot. E815. My LG 6000 hinge is breaking and my phone is going to break soon, unfortunately my two year thing isn't till march.....

edit - do u happen to know the price of the phone because i think i will have to buy it and not trade it in... :mad:

3. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

The mot is $149 with a 1 year contract... if you were going to just buy it to replace your phone... it would be more... but I dont know how much.

Yeah, I will let you know tomorrow if I like it... Im sure it will be better sounding atleast than the LG

4. Z6128 macrumors regular

the motorola e815 retails for $269.99 on the motorola online shop. afaik theyre out of stock. but i'll be ordering one as soon as they come in :D

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Get the E815! I've had it for over a week now and love it! Being a former V710 user, the E815 is like a breath of fresh air. I've hacked it so I can do Bluetooth file transfers. The camera quality is excellent. I've got a 512 MB transflash card on the way which will fit 100 MP3's. And if you're in an EVDO area, you can use it as a Bluetooth modem for near-broadband speeds if you've got a laptop.

Check out the Verizon forum at HowardForums.com for more info on this phone, and the VX8100.

6. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

All this sounds awesome.... I cant wait until I get off work at 3.. come home to shower, and then can go get this new phone! Anyone think it will be difficult to do? .... because this phone is $50 cheaper than the LG phone... will I get money back?

7. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Okay, so I now have the Motorola E815... and it is freakin awesome! It is a much better phone than the LG..... also, because it was $50 cheaper... I got money back, and used that to buy a bluetooth headset... its pretty awesome :)

8. Z6128 macrumors regular

Butler Trumpet how's the service and sound quality on the phone. can you hear everything well? have you got around to the goodies yet? how's the mp3 player and connecting it to a computer through bluetooth.

o yeah - does the phone look even better in real life then it does in the pictures :D

9. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Yeah the service and sound is great.... I can hear everything very well... both with the phone and the bluetooth headset.... I recomend it very much. I'm a loser and didnt get bluetooth with my iBook last year (for some reason, I was thinking I would never need it) so right now, I cant synk it with my computer. But soon I will be getting an adapter. Hey, does anyone know if you can use a BT adapter though the usb ports on the back of an apple keyboard (NOT wireless) ? Because my iBook has 2 usb ports... both taken, one Apple keyboard, and the other Logitech, MX1000 laser mouse.

FREAKIN AWESOME!

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what things are you allowed to be transfered/sync to the phone via bluetooth? (by not hacking the phone)

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone? :eek: :confused:

12. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Everything from iCal, and address book.... I havent gotten the Bluetooth adapter yet, but I really want it... it would be so nice to have all my contact on my phone and an up to date calendar.

13. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Does anyone know if I will be able to send a .midi file to the phone and use that as a ring? That way, you could take any song in iTunes, convert it to midi and have it be a ring.

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

You need a transflash card, or you can hack your phone.

A great resource is http://www.v710.org - this is the Motorola V710 forum site, and as you should know as an E815 user, the E815 is a V710 in every way except for newer software, VCast, different faceplates, V710 is smaller and lighter, Camera is 1.3 mpxl vs 1.2, 1000 contacts vs. 500, etc. and EVDO. There is an e815 section and it will help you. Plus, its forums so people add their input.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Do you have the v710? Do you like it? How easy is it to put mp3s as a your ring tone. How well does it sync with isync?

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

good info here

BTW, did you actually have to sign a new contract? if so i think i'll tell verizon to stuff their $100 credit right in the crack, i abhor contracts and i'm happy i'm over mine (been 2 years or so since i went to verizon, great service actually) i just don't like that "trapped" feeling of entering contracts. yes, i have commitment issues {{shrugs}} :D

i've always been tempted to add a spiffy little ring tone but i can't bring myself to do it, mine just *rings* --- and that is annoying enough sometimes ;) hearing some of those obnoxious rings makes me want to smack people with their phones sometimes.

[ponders it]

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I have the Motorola V710.

Before I say anything else, once the E815 came out, Verizon removed it from their online store. Then, high demand pushed them to put it back up. But then they took it off again. Now, its online.

By do I like it, do you mean my first or second? I have had two V710s in under two months.

My first was perfect except for the thing I got it for: the phone. Couldn't hear calls. I returned it and they gave me a brand new V710 and everything is fine with this one. However, the way that Verizon converted all my stuff over sucks. Only my primary contacts were saved, which means all my friends home phone numbers are there, but their cell phones aren't. And when they call, I don't know who they are. Plus, they accidently enabled call forwarding, so all my phones went to my friend's phone, which was REALLY annoying, as you can tell. I guess Verizon just isn't that great. But my second V710 is awesome.

I like how loud speakerphone is, and how bright and BIG the screen is - its bigger than some screens on phones coming out within the next few weeks! And the outside screen is not as good, but its bigger than some other phones internal screens! And it gets the job done.

And the faceplate colors are awesome - black and silver.

Now, I don't have a Mac or a bluetooth dongle for my PC but I will say this. Syncing with the V710 won't work without serious hacks. And the hacks dont work because Verizon decided to remove the OBEX bluetooth profiles, not disabling them but removing them. No bluetooth with PC. However, syncing with iSync IS good for the Addressbook syncing that they advertise.

To put MP3s as your ringtone is complicated - description wise. Verizon's original V710 shipped with 1.39.0R - or something like that - software and this had a few bugs (not too many, however), worse camera quality, and worse reception. BUT feature wise, its the best. You can only change your homepage with the earlier software, and you can only transfer MP3s from the transflash card to your phone with the earlier software. Now they ship with 1.40.0R (I have this) which you cannot change your homepage with (Verizon sets it to http://homepage) and can not send your MP3s to your phone for ringtones but fixed bugs and has a better camera. But, people have workarounds for all the fixed bugs and sending MP3s to your phone.

Instead of just clicking move when browsing your music, you need to (on your computer) create a 28 second MP3 file, rename the MP3 to .mid, put it on your TF card, go into Verizons PIX Messaging, send a message to 222-222-2222 including the .mid file as an attatchment, the message will fail because 222-222-2222 doesnt exist, so you won't be charged. The message will go to your outbox, when in outbox click menu, click save to, and click phone. Now your 28 second ringtone is on your phone. Go to your ringtone settings and select this ringtone. DONE.

Sounds hard, but it isn't.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, if you are a new customer and want an E815, with 2 year contract you pay $150. If you are in the middle of a contract you can pay the $280 for the phone plus charges to activate, etc. so like $300 for a new phone with the same contract, or you can wait until your contract is done, get your New Every Two $100 discount, and pay $50 for the phone. Which sounds best?

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

like i said, my contract is over, it's been a couple years and i am a month to month (or whatever that might be called) now. i was offered the hundred dollar credit towards a new phone, however i cannot remember if they wanted me to sign a new contract... so i wondered if you (or whomevever) had to do so. i am of the school of thought that tells me that there is always a catch, so i assumed they wanted me to sign a new contract in exchange for their $100 towards a new phone. that was my main question.

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my LG VX6000 hinge cracked, so now the top part of the phone can come out a bit (out of its socket), its going to break sooner or later so i *want* a new phone. But my 2 year contract isn't up till January. I went to verizon and asked what would happened, i would either buy a new phone which is outrageously over priced or since i'm the primary number on the family plan i can do an early upgrade but i would need to sign another 2 year contract and not get the $100 coupon or something like that...anyone understand what the guy was talking about...

21. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I have the E815 and i sync it with BT which is awesome.... i try to send a pic (even a small one under 50K) and it says the device does not have the necessary services...... anything I can do about this?

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    my wife's motorola ( a cheapie) recently bit the dust and after doing some research I purchased her the vx8100...at full retail-ouch. anyway, because she needed a wireless BT headset, the only other real contender was the e815.

we tried them both and actually liked the vx8100 better. we haven't had any issues with the sound quality or volume. not completely happy with the BT earpiece( plantronics) but that doesn't have anything to do with the phone itself. I'll probably pick up the motorola e850 earpiece from amazon this week. i tried a buddy's and liked the sound quality better though the fit of the earpiece is kind of wonky.

i've also found the user interface of the LG to be much more intuitive than the moto. easy to setup, attach pics to phone numbers and the voice dialing is ultra cool.

i'll probably pic one up for myself when my upgrade is available in november.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife is Verizon Wireless Customer also. She just renewed in September for two more years. Purchased the LG VX8100, "it's a good phone." Very valuable to her on the road as a Visiting Nurse. Needs to be in contact with her office, patients, and doctors.

24. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

By default, Verizon disables OBEX on their phones, a neccesary component to bluetooth file transfers.

You need to google it to find out more...

25. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I found out some stuff about OBEX.... it voids the warranty, which i kinda thought it would... any thoughts on this? How hard is it to do? Is it easy to mess it up and break my phone?

word up to your mom.....