Library Folder On My Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daiden, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Okay, I just cleaned up my Desktop and while doing that I noticed that there is now a Library folder there, with different contents than the Library folder on my HD. I'm pretty sure these are my preferences for the user that I'm logged in as, but what I want to know is there a way I can move this folder somewhere else (so it's not on the Desktop) without messing up my user preferences? I'm fairly new to Macs, and I know on a Windows machine if you move important folders it can mess stuff up (which I don't want to do).

Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It sounds like the User Library. Is there already a folder named library in Macintosh HD > Users > 'your_user_name'?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm guessing it;s NOT the library of your current user. Moving that should have set off bells and whistles. But listen to Eric and make sure you have valid Library folders in
    1) the Root level of the hard drive
    2) the System and
    3) each of the User home folders

The general rule is: Do not move delete or Rename any folder that your OS creates automatically.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unless it was moved since the last restart (or log out), right?

EDIT: I got you before your edit. ;)

5. Daiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daiden

There is, so now I'm even more confused. It even looks like the folder on my Desktop has more (albeit empty) folders than the one in my User_Name Library folder.

6. Daiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I see Library folders in all three of those locations. I'm not planning on moving it without understand what it is exactly (I don't wanna mess up my OSX installation), but I like to keep a clean Desktop... And this folder sort of annoys me now.