Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
A friend of mine is using iTunes on Windows. Today "something happened to the xml file" and now his library and playlists are blank. He says the music is still on his computer but he cannot re-import (using File>Import).

What can he do to fix this? Keep in mind that his wife has a separate iTunes library on the same computer under a different log-in and everything is still working fine for her...

Thanks in advance,

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
He just tried that and gets: "An unknown error occurred (-50)"

Can he reinstall iTunes and not screw it up on his wife's side?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Wait, it's Add To Library, not Import. Sorry, I missed that the first time I read your post. :eek:

Alternatively, drag the folder containing the music to an open iTunes window. Reinstalling iTunes shouldn't be necessary but shouldn't affect the wife's account either. :)

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
you don't need to re-install iTunes, because the app itself is working fine on your wife's account (it won't matter if you do however, like MJ said).

Trash and delete the library and xml files in your User/Music/iTunes folder (but not the iTunes Music folder!) with iTunes off.

Restart iTunes (it should generate clean Library files) and "Add to Library.." picking the iTunes Music folder.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Before trashing your "iTunes Music Library.xml" file, try one more thing. Open up "iTunes Library.itl" file in a text editor of some sort. Then (I know this sounds crazy), select all and delete everything, then SAVE. The file size should now be 0 KB. Now open up iTunes, it should try to reload your iTunes Music Library.xml file, and you should receive a prompt of some sort saying that your music library has been damaged and asks if you'd like to recover. Click "yes." You should then have retained all your playlists, smart playlists, and playcounts.

The one thing this process doesn't do is bring over your podcasts/video podcasts.

If this doesn't work, then you probably need to reload your library.

w00master

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.