Library structure question (both LR and Aperture)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maflynn, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not sure if I'm crazy for doing this but I'd like some opinions regarding library organization.

Due to space limitations I've started creating new libraries on an annual basis.

That is for 2012, I created a new catalog and folder structure for my images. Now that we turned the corner and are in 2013 I'll be doing the same. The older catalog and folder structure will be copied to my NAS so I'll still have access.

This year I'm going to see if Aperture is a better fit with this and other aspects. I hate flip flopping on this and I like LR but there are features I do like in aperture. If I allow aperture to manage the library then its easier to create annual libraries and reload them if I wish. Plus the vault feature for backups is something I miss.

Any thoughts, recommendations on this?

2. Razeus, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors 601

How much space do you need for photography? 2TB external drives are like $125. Easy solution.

3. thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2012 library is 55GB and because its a laptop I'd rather not deal with having my main library sitting on an external drive. Its one more thing to pack, lose, break when I travel.