library

Discussion in 'iPod' started by barnacle, Sep 6, 2006.

1. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

ok,, with my new internet connection i have thought of a new question.
    i am using my laptop as the primary computer for itunes. the drive on my 30gb ipod is as big as the laptops drive. so, i don't store my library on the laptop, i backup to a ex. hard drive. once i update the ipod with music, i clear the library. am i making a mistake by doing it this way? i though about this because i can't burn a cd from ipod, only library.
    i am very new to this and really appriciate any advice i get!!

thanks!

2. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

well, i'm thinking now that a better way to approach this would be to keep itunes and all the library loaded on the external hd instead? it seems like a good idea to keep the library alive? am i on the right track?

3. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

the errie silence here makes me think i am asking a stupid question?
    just looking for some advice.;) i am new to the ipod and itunes.

4. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

I'd keep the library on an external drive. I have to tell you, you were pretty confusing in your posts. I had to read it a few times to figure out what you're talking about. Being clearer might help. Just FYI.

5. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

sorry,, i can see where i wasn't all that clear.
    i am after advice. should i keep itunes on the ex. hard drive so i have room to save the library? is it wise to keep the library intact? i have een uploading to the ipod then clearing the library because it takes too much room.
    i back up the ipod using 'tune tools' to the hard drive.
    all my music is on the hd, {200} in files ect. i import from cd's and files to the library, then update the ipod. then i clear the library.
    i guess my question is,, is it wise to keep the library intact and not clear it like i have been doing? i apoligize for this not being much clearer.
    maybe what i need to hear is yours or someones method of operation for using itunes and how you keep the library.
    thanks for being patient, and i will try to think of how to make this clearer!
    i have only had this ipod a few weeks.

6. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

OK,, i think i have actulay answered my own question just by thinking of how to re-word it. sorry for all that.
    but,, now i have another one. what is the easiest way to copy music from the ipod back over to your library? or,, is there an easy way?

thanks.

7. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

I use YAMIpod. google it. It's great for copying music from an ipod and to an ipod with using itunes. Mac or Pc

8. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

THANK YOU ,, i will give it a try.
    any other cool downloads i need to be aware of?
    it's offical,, i am an ipod addict!!! only had it a month, don't know how i ever got along without it?
    coolest thing since bottled beer!