License Test

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Mar 14, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Hey Everyone!

Tomorrow is my Driver's License Test!!! I am so f***ing excited. I seriously have been waiting for this day for like 16.5 years or since I knew what a car was.

I'm not worried about the written part but I am scared that I am going to mess up on the driving part out of nervousness.

Wish me luck!

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Don't be scared. Just act like you meant to do everything that you do while driving the test, and it's look left - right - left at all crossings!:)

4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

5. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

"The bow, The stern, Starboard, Port, Skipper, Deck, Cabin, Galley, Keel, 1924!!" :D

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Make sure you let them see you look long and hard, in both directions, when entering traffic. Many people get dinged for that.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Remember that people don't fail for taking too long or being too conservative (within reason). People always try to go faster under pressure or when they are nervous.

8. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Good Luck! I hope you do well on both the written and driving portion. Gosh, I can't wait until I can drive... ah well just a little longer until I can get that permit...:rolleyes:

9. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Hey isn't that from Spongebob? (is it sad that I know this or what?:eek: )

10. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks Everyone.

I am just afraid driving that stupid toyota corolla they MAKE you drive. Its throttle if you press it a little makes the car go very slowly, if you press it a little more you don't get any power, if you push it a little more it launches at fast as it can with its base 4cyl engine. The brakes are also very very very hard to push (they are ABS too). After the 2hr driving lessons my leg would be tired. Do they modify the car so that you can't speed off or brake too hard LOL. Seriously this 1000lb Corolla is harder to stop than my dads 5000lb SUV. I am not even kidding with that modification comment, the driving school I go to is really really strange and mafia like.

Thurs: Driving Test
    Friday: Pick up license at DMV
    Saturday: Off to Boston to look at a car to buy
    (It wasn't my idea to drive 106 miles/2hrs to look at 1 car hahah)

I am pumped though!

I hate this Connecticut law though. When you get your license you can't drive anyone except your parents for 3 months, then after that you can only drive your family for another 3 months. After that 6 month period you can drive anyone. It makes sense safety wise I guess because teenagers are stupid. But with my permit I can drive my mom..... and my sister..... and friends. So when I get my license how come I can't drive myself, my mom, but not other people. On top of it now I have to pay for insurance.

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You're lucky - I had to parallel park my parent's 1970 Chevy Impala to pass the test! That thing was a battleship.:p

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Good luck!

I was pretty scared, but once I started I figured it was OK and just relaxed and just went along with that the lady said and I didn't get marked off for anything! They REALLY look for confidence, not just doing things right. At least act like you know what you're doing. :D

13. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I'm from maryland and we dont have a written part...just take the test and your done..i was in and out in 10 minutes...it was so easy just stay relaxed and dont get the instructor pissed off..i had to take my test in the snow so i was flipping out and got a few points off but i still got my license...its sweeeet:D

14. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

I passed with flying colors.

I didn't have to park though. I was like WTF. I did have to do a K-Turn/3-point-turn though.

Tomorrow I have to go to the DMV and get my license
    Saturday I go to boston to check out a car

15. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

When I went in for it, some jerk almost ran into me in the parking lot. Theinstructor and I got in my van, and pulled up to a four way stop, on my right was the road going to the street, on my left was the practice coarse, straight ahead were more parking spaces. All have stop signs. I pull up, stop, and take extra long to look all around....and this idiot flies in from the road and doesn't even slow down at the stop sign. I was starting to pull out when I realized "this guy doesn't look like he's slowing down!" So, I slammedon the brakes and threw the car into reverse and backed up and the guy narrowly missed us. The instructor asked if he could shake my hand. No joke.

I passed with a perfect 100 and the instructor asked if he could shake my hand again. He gave me a short spiel about how I was the only one in three months to pass that well, and how amazing it was that I averted an accident and then he shook my hand again.....

All in all,it was pretty wierd.

16. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Just remember, plenty of stupid people and lousy drivers get licenses.

You're not either of those, so there's nothing to worry about.

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Especially since he already took it and passed it today. :D

18. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

A DMV Tester was fired in CT because he told a girl something to the affect of "if you take off your clothes I'll pass you".

Handshaking... hmmm... physical contact lol jk

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Biggest thing: Don't roll any stop signs. complete stop.

They got me for that twice because i was juuuuuust barely moving (facists :mad: )

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's why I had to go to traffic school! I got a damn ticket for that ****.

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Honestly, who does a full stop at a stop sign anymore? (Exception being if there's a noticable cop in the vicinity)

22. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Oh no! You have to be responsible for yourself AND have safety limitations on who you can drive. Life is terrible! :p

Seriously though you should consider how lucky you are to be getting a car the day after you get your license. My first car - a mint condition 78 Monte Carlo was an early graduation gift (1 1/2 years after I got my license) and it got wrecked by someone who hit me while my vehicle was parked.

Congrats on making it through so well - especially avoiding the accident and staying alive part!

23. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Me! All the time at intersections where all 4 ways have to stop - we seem to have a lot of those around here. I'd much prefer the California stop (slow and go) but sometimes I don't have that option!

Damn those other folks who use my roads! :D

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No kidding. Iowa City and Coralville must be record holders for most stop signs per capita. Perhaps also records for dumbest intersections (2 way with one direction not stopping!) in the midwestern US - Coral Ridge Mall being a good example, especially that one by Outback!

Anyway, the OP should count himself lucky he's taking his test in the US. It's so easy to pass here, it's silly.

YT

25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Note to self: If ever driving in the Mid-West, stop at all stop signs. In New York a "California Stop" is just plain called a rolling stop.