Licensing query regarding Panther...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jawad7, Apr 14, 2004.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Hi,

I currently have a PB 12" and running jaguar on it as that was the OS that came with my mac when i bought it like 7 months ago. i was considering to upgrade to panther but decided against it and put money into buying a iMac 17" which i just recently bought.

my imac came with the discs for Panther and i was just wandering if it would be possible to install this on my powerbook or would i invalidate my warranty, any suggestions?

help much appreciated.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Usually the install disks that come with a computer are hardware-specific. Not to mention the fact that this would be illegal :(

I don't think it would invalidate your warranty, though.

3. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

so the panther discs that came with my imac are specific to the imac and it would not work with my powerbook?

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I can't say for sure about the imac, but usually this is true.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm not sure if this is the case. If the full OS discs arrive separately, I think it possible to install them wherever you choose - when the OS comes preloaded, that would be nearly impossible to "copy" to another computer.

I think it's like the copy of Micro$haft Windows that comes sealed with a new computer.

6. bhertz macrumors member

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The license says you can put the OS on 1 computer. In reality nobody is going to know if you put it on 2 computers (or 20). It's just up to your own morals. Just realize that if enough people put their OS on multiple computers Apple may have to use Windowslike registration in the future. Nobody would like that.