Lichen Survive in Space

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PlaceofDis, Nov 10, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn8297

craziness!
    are they aliens? :p :rolleyes:

but seriously, this means that other life could survive and come to earth via a meteor.... or the other way around....

i mean it doesn't show much, besides that Lichen are freaking invunerable, or darn close to it. :eek:

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Think about it, we may have never been born on Earth - if you are highly religious sorry don't take this for its word, its just a theory/idea. We could have been some fungi that was traveling through space, found this climate and BAM! here we are now in this day and age. If you're into Scientology - interesting religion, but I'll stick with Wicca and Druid - then this may be true, you could have been sent here from... what'd that guy call him... Zed? You were sent here by a commander named Zed or something... Anyways there ya go, you may have proof.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i liked the poof....lol

Bless

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, his name is Xenu, and he's an intergalactic warrior, not a "commander" as you so put it. And he actually DID bring us to Earth, you glib. What....can you prove that he didn't? Huh?

Be well.

Love,
    Tom

PS: Katie, marry me!!1! I wuv you!!

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

God. We're such a stupid species. We figure out how to get into space, and what do we do? We say "Um ... let's like, expose various life forms to the rigors of space. Maybe they'll mutate and like, try to kill us all. Good thing we know how to get into space!"

God. Space lichen. Nothing good can possibly come of space lichen ...

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Lichen - I thought we were talking about the undesirables of the Underworld. :p

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Why is it always men on the internet??

I get none of this crap in real life!
    anywhoo.. Lichen.. HARMLESS? Obviously, you've never seen this one!

[​IMG]
    (thanks, shacky!)

/HAAAAA!
    //Oh man, I'm scared of that lichen
    ///runs away like an economic girlyman
    ////eehehehe.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

It's only theory. Not proven, no religion has been proved.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You, um... did catch the sarcasm, right? "Love, Tom"... Cruise, perhaps?

I'm reasonably certain Abstract is not a strong defender of that faith, seeing as how mentioning Xenu is, I think, verbotten for them.

Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu Xenu. Ha!

10. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

So lichen can survive in space. Thats great. I highly doubt, however, that they could survive re-entry. Also, I guess it wouldn't be called re-entry, either.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My understanding is that lichen reproduce with spores that go all the way up to the jet stream and encircle the earth potentially for years. They're damn tough!

I've also heard of an experiment involving simulating a meteor crashing to the earth and seeing if organic material survived. Not only did it survive, the force of the explosion created new, more complex organic molecules.

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    One of the theories of life origin is meteor/comet impact, an alternate is lightning strikes.

Recent studies have suggested that the chemosythetic life found around fumaroles and in hot springs might be the earliest precursors to life.

13. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

This thread is really starting to stress me out ... :eek:

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Well we are getting banner ads for "the 7 greath myths of organized religion."

15. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Nope didn't catch it, I posted it late last night....yup 10:47 is late for me :p so I post weird things so yeah, sorry didn't see that.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah.....also, "glib" is a word Tom famously used to insult Matt Lauer during an interview, where Tom pretty much lost it. That's why I used the word.

The reference was to Katie HOLMES, and Tom's obviously abnormal obsession with this "girl."

I was trying to post as Tom.

(I will never make another Scientology/Tom Cruise joke here again. Too much hassle to explain it all later. Yeeesh! :p )

17. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I still think if any "organisms" are of extraterrestrial origin, it's viruses. Crazy things don't conform to other terran life specifications!

Actually, becoming an extraterrestrial microbiologist could be an interesting occupation...

18. thecow macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who immediately thought of The Andromeda Strain? The book kind of sucked and the movie was even worse. In one part, one of the scientist cuts the dead guy's arm for some reason and the coagulated "blood" looks like a pixi stick. :D The plot involves a mysterious microbe that can survive in space and lands on earth.

19. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

its a rather good book considering when it was written, horribly dated now though.

it does remind me of the book now that you mention it though.

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Pfftt, well then take a picture of tom cruise and draw a speech bubble!

I WAS SO CONFUSED when I saw I was being brought up in a thread about... lichen in space.

Man, ever since those two entered the limelight, people at school would be talking SOMETHING about it and I'd be like "what? WHO? HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN PREGNANT????:confused:"

I don't wanna hear it and I can't believe NO ONE was scared of my lichen. That thing was terrifying. Look, he's holding blood or something.

/will have nightmares from space lichen
    //used to think tom cruise was cute.. until I found out that I'm about an inch taller than he
    ///I SHALL NOW BE REFERRED TO AS "KT the Most Magnificent Awesomest KT EVAR!!!"
    ////KTMMAKE for short.
    /////Don't worry, I'll forget that acronym, too.