Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Mark Morford's column from the SF Gate website:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2003/10/01/notes100103.DTL

And you open the gorgeous black box and lift the white cardboard inside flap, itself adorned with clean offset typeface declaring "Made by Apple in California," and you are confronted with what is quite possible the most thoughtfully designed and pleasing packaging you've ever seen, not like you care about this stuff and hey it's all just Styrofoam and garbage anyway, but still.

[Edit: Link updated]

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
They say most people don't care or can't pick out good design but they do and they know. Good design is in the details. People really do appreciate the details. Even if it's just styrofoam. Apple's packaging is impectable. A box or bag that you would normally just throw from most companies is somehow a little more difficult to do from Apple. Hmmmm......

~e

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Two years on, I've still got my iBook box.

And my 1G iPod box

And my parents still have their iMac box from three years ago.

My friend just bought a 15" AlBook and is keeping the box.

It hurts too much to throw it away. If only I could use it as furniture.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
my first iMac

I just bought my first Mac Saturday. I also got an iPod with it. WHen the guy at the counter brought out my iPod package my hands were just itching to open the box. It was all i could do not to open right there while he was processing my order. WHen I got home with the iMac, I was really amazed at how fun it was to take out of the box. I who have Vulcan-like levels of unsentimentality was like a school girl with a new purs. (or whatever make a school girl giggle like a um.. school girl.)

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Re: my first iMac

Originally posted by asphalt-proof
I just bought my first Mac Saturday. I also got an iPod with it. WHen the guy at the counter brought out my iPod package my hands were just itching to open the box. It was all i could do not to open right there while he was processing my order. WHen I got home with the iMac, I was really amazed at how fun it was to take out of the box. I who have Vulcan-like levels of unsentimentality was like a school girl with a new purs. (or whatever make a school girl giggle like a um.. school girl.)

I can totally relate. When I got my iMac and then later my iPod, all I wanted to do is retreat to my apartment in solitude and start my ritual of opening my new purchase. Carefully pulling all the items out with an almost 'archeologist' type demeanor or even a child-like awe.

Sounds stupid but it's probably the feeling most guys get walking into an electronics store. Who know's? Must be in the genes.

~e

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
My girlfriend thought I was a freak for taking pictures of each step of me taking my PowerBook out of the box. It really is a well designed package. Everything from the box itself to the packaging and layout just seems to remind you that you made the greatest decision ever when purchasing your Mac. I still have my PowerBook G3 box from 4 1/2 years ago in my closet all with every single piece of plastic, twist ties, etc. It's as if it had never been opened. I keep my boxes almost as if they were trophies.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The feeling of unpacking a new Mac is unlike any other feeling out there...

When I opened up my 12" PowerBook, I could just feel the power in my hands. The solid, cold metal. And it was still in the foam wrapping stuff...

The feeling of pulling it out, putting it on the foam wrapping (as to keep it from getting scratched), and carefully opening the lid is an amazing experience... Especially when you know that it's your computer. Your own Mac. Your slice of Apple pie... mmm...

My iPod... It was a godly experience. It was just me and the iPod. There was a connection that I could feel. I accecpted the iPod, and it accecpted me. It was amazing. And I pick up my iPod now, and turn it on, and I think to myself, what a wonderful world... ;) :cool:

I just love walking down to the lobby of my dorm and sitting with my PowerBook using the wireless network. I can see so many jealous looks. I love it.

It must've been an orgasmic experience to open up those 1100 G5's at Virginia Tech...

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by G4scott
It must've been an orgasmic experience to open up those 1100 G5's at Virginia Tech...

Must have been amazing at least for most of us BUT to them, it's just another computer. They never really used Mac's up until they got these G5's. Plus, the were going to be put together as a collective. Can we say 'Borg'!

Seriously, though it's amazing what they are doing with all those G5's. Love to see the bench-marks on that puppy.

~e

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I still have all my boxes, and can not wait to add another to my attic's collection. Opening an Apple product, kind of like getting in a new car... the smell, the feel.....

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
When I got my eMac for Christmas I took the box into my bedroom and slowly opened the top and then took like 5 minutes just admiring the keyboard and mouse and the cords attached to them. After I got over at how stunningly good looking they were I picked up the mouse and ran into the living room screaming look at my mouse...look at my mouse. Then I did the same with my keyboard. Then I took the top part out and saw the eMac. I was almost blown away because I had never seen a computer that stunning before. (First time Mac owner) I slowly picked it up and sat it on my desk and just stared at it for a long time and finally I fired the baby up. I had NEVER been that excited in my life about anything. I was smiling the whole day. My parents had had the eMac since December 14 and they just sat it on the living room floor not wrapped or anything. I probably spent over 5 hours just sitting there reading the box and trying to look inside through the handle holes. I kept the box and it's sitting under the desk that my Mac is sitting on, can't say the same for the HP Pavilion I got the year before for Christmas. I am now planning on getting an iBook and my mom is considering the 17inch iMac, all of my friends want one and plan on getting one within the next few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.