lid is making creaking sounds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nature girl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. nature girl macrumors newbie

Is it a wear and tear kind of thing or can it be fixed under warranty? Whenever i open/close the lid to my PB, there would be creaking sounds (especially when the lid is at around 90 degree angle). It doesn't make it harder to open, the resistance is still the same, but it's just the creaking sound that's bothering me.

I just got the PB at the end of this past August...

Does anyone else have this same problem?

2. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

3. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

HA! you think YOURS is bad?!

My powerbook goes CRACK!!! when I move it. Gives me the shivers everytime. I took it to the Apple store and they guy there even flinched when I moved it. But it won't be until February when I can part with it for a few days over spring break to get it fixed. Applecare will cover it, I just have to wait until I have time. It's so bad that now the bottom of the screen wobbles. They hinge is quite loose as I can rotate it about 5 degrees before it actually starts to turn the hinge. And it takes MUCH force to get the hinge to start turning and makes a loud crack sound before moving. It's scary really.

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

what's odd is that i actually had the reverse of that problem... I got my PB in may and it seemed that up until like October or November it would creek when i opened/closed it... but it doesn't do it anymore... its wierd that you guys are having the reverse issue

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Mine creaks AND cracks! To start moving the display u have exort extra force and then CRACK. Then it creaks on the way down.
    AND THEN after that it doesnt stay shut becuase the latch doesnt match up with the thing its supposed to match up with.

I had dropped it and completely killed it. The screen got bent back 180 degreees completely screwing up the hinge. It cost me 5 hunn to fix it by this guy at this place instead of 1500 from apple. So im fine with saving a gee and just having some creaks and a bad latch.

6. nature girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Will i still be able to have it fixed under warranty if i've only had my pb for less than a year? Or must i have to have applecare?

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

My old iBook did that. It was so bad that I was opening it once and my friend said "Woah, haunted house." :rolleyes:

I doubt Apple will do anything about it since nothing is really broken. Sorry :(

8. nature girl thread starter macrumors newbie

So you people think it's fine to just leave it the way it is? Would it lead to some pretty bad consequences if i not get it fixed?

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Mine does the same thing. I got it checked out several times by apple employees and small retail apple stores and they all said it's nothing to worry about.