Lieberman won't rule out GOP caucusing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

i'd say that any dems who supported him as an independent were the ones with the political playbook. the ones who supported lamont were, after all, supporting the democratic nominee.

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

yes, but saying you have to support the "party" nominee is plainly stupid.

Leiberman has been a senior democrat for a long time. He has also been loyal!!

for the party to turn on him, even partially, is disturbing enough for him to rationalize playing his unique situation for more leverage.

if he were to switch parties, it would be a 50-50 split senate. and the vice president could break votes if tied. He could have alot of power and say for democratic party because of this.

but for him to ignore his "friends" working to elect someone other than him would be just plain dumb.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

lamont was the nominee because the voters of CT made him so. in a so-called democracy, there should be at least a nod to the wishes of the voters.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But the voters elected him back so what does that tell you.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

different set of voters.

when lamont was the nominee, party members were right to support him. now that lieberman won the election, and wants to caucus with the dems, the party should support him.

what i don't agree with is lieberman's assertion that the dems in congress and the senate should have supported him after lamont won the nomination. that's crap -- the default should have been to support lamont.

but the voters are free to support whoever they want.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The voters that nominated Lamont were all registered Democrats selecting their candidate for the general election using the established party primary process. Once selected Lamont was the Dem candidate.

The voters who re-elected Lieberman included many Republicans and Independents (as well as Democrats).

B

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Thats why we should not even have a primary, just let the voters vote for who they want and not have to choose ahead of time. Those who wanted Lamont or those who wanted Lieberman should have that choice in the popular vote.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The voters did have a choice between Lieberman and Lamont in the popular vote. I don't see the problem.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What Lieberman needs to realize is that if he pulls this maneuver and caucuses with the GOP, he can kiss any chance at another term goodbye.

The GOP challenger wasn't even in the race in Connecticut. If he swaps control of the Senate I can't imagine any Democrats, or Independents who voted for him will be too happy with him for going back on a campaign promise to caucus with the Dems. How many would have switched their vote to Lamont if Lieberman had been honest and said he didn't know who he would caucus with? I'm willing to bet that Lamont would be their Senator now if he had even mentioned caucusing with the GOP in the campaign.

Yes he has a 6 year term but if he caucuses with the GOP this will be his last.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't care who he sides with, I still don't like him.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There seems to be a bit of confusion:

Lamont won the democratic primary because the vote among registered dems was for him. When it came to the final election, Lieberman won the state popular vote because, even though the Dems voted similarly to the primary, Lieberman got many many votes from those registered as republicans, who had no part in voting for the primary.

As for me, I voted twice for Lamont. Forget "loyalty to long serving senators", Lieberman was far from loyal to his party. :rolleyes: