Life-Extending Chemical Is Found in Certain Red Wines

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Aug 24, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Time to go buy some more red wine!

Good to know! :D

Although this weekend I ended up drinking more beer than red wine - I'll be sure to make up for it this week. I usually drink a glass a night for dinner, I hope it gives me an extra year or 3 in the long run....

Now, if they end up concluding that dark chocolate is also a live extender we'll really be set ;)

D

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Well, looks like me and the lil' lady gonna be drinking red wine a lot now. we've been thinking about it for a while anyway ;)

Now they just need to say that you should eat a lot of cheese and I'm golden! :D

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

that's why it's salud!!! :p

my friends will love this news. i want to bea healthy now so i think i'll need a glass... ;)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The hard part is drinking enough to extend your life, but not so much that you destroy your liver or cross the boundry to alchoholism.

Especially since Americans keep practicing, if a little bit is good for you, twice as much is twice as good. :p

That's probably why Americans don't like taking their medicine in {blank} form.

6. MacViolinist macrumors regular

human testing

I volunteer to be a part of the human testing group. I wonder how they divide people up. By the Glass, Carafe, or Bottle? Just don't put me in the control group.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hehe, Red Wine has lots of properties and some things are better to you then others, but didn't other reports also saw it stops cancer?

:eek:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Stops cancer? Doubt it. It makes your heart healthier since it thins out your blood more often, making it easier for your heart to pump it. Aspirin does the same thing.

9. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ahhh...if only they could conclude that...I'd be in heaven I tell u D... ;)

10. iGav macrumors G3

I thought they'd said that it did?? or atleast some chocolate does because of a certain natural oil??

Not that it helps me, because I don't like chocolate nor do I drink red wine... :(

Now if these scientists said that white wine and Strongbow help increase longevity then I'll make 120 easy!! :D :p :p

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only thing to remember about this is to drink in moderation, one or two glass a day is all you need.

I'll be making sure to keep to this schedule :D

D

12. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm talking about massive amounts of dark chocolate... ;)

I could eat it everyday...and paired up with a nice glass of red...deelish! :D

I usually tend to keep half a dozen or so bottles on hand at any given time to drink whenever...and I have several I've been holding onto for a while now...

I think...I have a total of about 22 bottles in my rack at the moment...

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's about time to go buy some more wine here, my rack's only got about 6 bottles in it at the moment. Haven't had to buy in a while because we got such a great deal on some wine about 3 months ago. A local winery went out of business, and the bottles that were selling in the store for about $10 and in area restaurants for $20 - $25 were all bought up by Trader Joes (40,000 cases worth) and sold for $3 a bottle! We bought like 4 cases of various types and just drank the last one this weekend. Delicious.

Time to go wine tasting again!:D

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There was a time as a bachelor that I had over 9 cases of wine in the house.....I only have about 3 right now and most of those aren't the daily drinking type ;)

I miss the days of buy a case or two of wine at a time - now I just buy 1 or 2 bottles when I'm out. But Trader Joes has some good stuff, even out here on the East Coast.

D

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife buys wine by the case as needed because fo receiving a discount. She always says that she drinks it for medicinal purposes, health and it relaxes!

Mr. Anderson in correct in saying that modration is the key! ;)

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, getting wine at Trader Joes is pretty damn cheap - so you really don't need to buy by the case. And they don't even have a discount if you buy 12 bottles.

D

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We had a couple parties where a case would be gone in an evening.:D It was great to be able to turn people on to a really tasty wine and not spend a fortune on it. Unfortunately by the time people tried it, it was all sold out. Trader Joes was nuts that day. The story was on the front page of the local paper because the winery was so well renowned here. We happened to go shopping at TJ's that day and it was like being at a Macy's basement sale. People had carts full of wine. Sometimes 2 carts. Everyone in line had at least one bottle in their cart.

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, maybe it won't stop cancer, but it may help prevent it. Resveratrol, the compound that the article claims is the cause of the good effects of red wine, is an anti-cancer agent and antioxidant.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

ok northern wines what the heck is that please how about some manufactors or geography. im going to switch from coors light to a good merlote?

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I'm set for tonight, had a nice glass of Zin with my burrito.

One thing that's also come out is that any alcohol in moderation (1 or 2 drinks a night) help the heart. So if this resveratrol extends life, you get a healthy heart too.

We might have to resurrect the mac and wines thread now.....

D :D

21. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

:D

I usually buy a few bottles every few weeks at World Market, they have an incredible selection there. Last time I was there I ended up buying 9 bottles total, but 4 were for my dad's birthday gift. ;)

I also tend to drink a glass each night with dinner...I got into the habit I suppose. Last night was dinner at my favorite Middle Eastern restaurant...had kosher Merlot. ;)

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For me it would be nice if grape juice had the same life extending chemical as red wine. Beside orange juice grape juice is my favorite. Grape juice when eating out is the only juice that consistantly has a good taste!

23. yarowe macrumors newbie

Fantastic! Now if I could just put down my cigarettes long enough to enjoy the life-prolonging qualities of the wine...

One step forward, another one back. ;)

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should be published in this Wed's JAMA...

OK, if red wine and dark chocolate contain Polyphenols -- would it be overmedication to suck down massive amounts of both.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All of these studies are dependent of the person consuming a moderate amount. It's recommended taking 1 - 2 glasses of wine per day. Chocolate 1 - 2 pieces per day. Too much of either can be toxic! The least of the problems is the calories causing weight gain.