Life in 1994 with Carl Sagan and our good friend Apple....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, Jul 19, 2006.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

A good friend of mine was urging me to do some research on Carl Sagan, and so of course I hit up Wiki. I thought this quote from Wiki would be worth sharing...

Source: WikiPedia

Thought some of you might have a laugh out of that, while I am sure a majority of you have heard that and of course this is very very old news, but it is news to me and so those who might be interested in getting a good laugh, there you go.

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've always had a mixed opinion of Carl Sagan because of that incident. I though less of him for his fuss about it, even though I admired him for keeping science in the public eye. And then I felt sorry for him for having to battle myelodysplastic syndrome, a rare disease for which there were very few treatment options back then. Since then, drugs have been developed that help with some types of MDS, but it's still one of those diseases nobody should have to face.

By the way, Apple is free to name any of their projects after me!

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you're interested in Sagan, look up his book "The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle In the Dark".

It is an excellent series of essays, mostly by Sagan, some with the collaboration of his wife.

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

fixed.

sorry.. not trying to be a jerk or rude, bad grammar is a huuuuge pet peeve of mine.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't bother with chasing down the grammer or spelling errors on here... you're just setting yourself up for a big embarrasing moment when you make a mistake yourself.

Of course the funniest is when you get on someone's case for a violation, and then make one yourself in the post you make criticizing them...

Sooo... why no caps at the beginning of your sentences Mr. Grammer Nazi? ;)

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

SP: Grammar :p

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

lol good point. it's more of simple spelling errors pet peeve. maybe i should have said spelling nazi :D. i get irritated when people mispell words that have more than 1 spelling. it is such a simple concept, and some people still cannot grasp when to use certain spellings of words. such as:

to, too, two
    their, there, they're
    etc..

and its grammAr :D

like i said, it is not meant to be mean or demeaning in any way. it's my OCD, can't help it.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See why I resist the urge to criticize other's spelling/grammer/punctuation? :D

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    An MR member actually e mailed me telling me I spelled a word wrong in a thread....I forget who it was....funny stuff..

11. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

Actually I know when to use "our" and "are". I am not as stupid as the title may show. I didn't even know I had made the mistake until it was pointed out to me. I over-looked it, but if I would have read the title before hitting submit I am sure I would have caught it.

I am not all that bad with grammar, I just happen to type a lot faster than I think and I end up making silly mistakes like that. Due to my poor habits I enjoy speaking more than I do typing, when I talk people come off thinking I am smart or something, when I write they usually think I am an annoying idiot and they don't listen to me.

But apart from that, I am going to try to find some Carl Sagan books to read and I want to get Cosmos on DVD.

Edit: Thanks to Doctor Q the title is fixed now...