Life in the comunication era...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    With the internet the world became smaller but we are dealing with new issues that are dealing with new issues, at list I do, with positive and negative sides.

For example now I can cominucate with a girl 5.000 miles from where I am and keep a relationship of some sort but... she is 5.000 miles away! how realistic would be to have fisical contact during a year as we used to back in the 80's? I mean, before internet we used to have friends we could see oftem, now all my friends are in the Messenger and I have them see them in two years most of them.

On the other hand I can see more tragedys going on in the world but the reality is that thye have been there always, the difference is that now we can see them all and still there are things hapening which we have no clue still, for example, no one remember that we had a tragedy back in December 1999 just like the one with the psunami this December, we had 30.000 dead but there was no coverage because of the 2000 celebration.

The thing is that, at list in my mind, I have been adapting to this current of information and contact that I was not used or culturaly introduced before. Online dating is a very inorganic thing for example but people are searching for partners all over the world using these sites, culture are mixing or encountering so oftem that the world does not look like that big of a place.

Politically... people are opening their eyes because now everybody can tell what tricks world leadrs are using to distract people's attention while they are doing their nasty things.

The world in our minds is getting smaller but I am realising the false expectation we (or I) have about being capable of so much and how functional some things really are.

Yes, I do not think about sex topics only :rolleyes:
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    One of the fallouts of the new "communication era" you describe is that the communication itself has deteriorated. I don't have hour-long conversations with friends over a pint, I have 4 sentence interactions with strangers in forums like these, or abbreviated "conversations" with friends via IM or e-mail.

Our ability to put forth our ideas also seems to be impaired. People write in stream-of-consciousness mode and don't advantage themselves of spell checking or simple re-reading to see if what they post makes sense. I am as guilty of this as anyone at times, and it results in much good information getting tossed simply due to not wanting to take time to decipher the meaning of the communication.

We are inundated with constant blather regarding things about which we don't care and have to sift through much more chaff to get to the wheat, so to speak. All of this is even more frustrating, I think, for those of us who grew up before the internet and IM revolution, and have some frame of reference that reminds us of the "good old days" of communication, if there ever was such a thing.

This is not to say I don't value forums such as this - they are fantastic, and allow me to interact with and gain information about and from a much wider variety of individuals. But now it requires a conscious effort to remove myself from the constant barrage of information and simply sit down with my family and have fun. That's too bad.
  3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I try to stick to places where that isn't so much the case. IM-speak is NOT acceptable to me except where the limits of the medium of communication (like text messaging on cellphones) make it the only practical choice.

I think it's kind of a case of the more things change, the more they stay the same; sure, I don't tend to have my deepest conversations online, but in honest reflection a most of my offline conversations aren't anything to be immortalized for posterity, either. And forum discussions have offered me a real chance to try to formulate and defend my views to all comers for the first time. It's solidified some of my opinions, subtly shaded others, changed a few. And it's improved my typing skills like you wouldn't believe. :D

mymemory--Relationships like that CAN work with a lot of patience from both parties; my roommate had to wait to marry her husband until he came back from being stationed in Japan, and they just had their second daughter. So take heart!
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    The key to living in this communications era is to learn how to balance yourself and the ways in which you choose to communicate. emw has some very valid and strong points about this. One thing that is lacking in today's job market are people who know how to communicate effectively, if you know how to be coherent, concise, and can do that well, you are among a crowd that is shrinking.
    Conversations take on a whole new form, through emails, text messages, instant messages, blogs, and you are always plugged in so to speak through your cell phone or laptop. The one good thing about the way this works is that it makes it easier to tell who are the important people in your life, because you are in contact with them more, and you can see that connection maybe a bit easier, for me at least it came in the form of talking to my girlfriend for seven+ hours at a time on the phone, not many people can do such a thing, and not only did this happen once, but it happens over and over again, it helps me to identify our connection and how special it truely is.
    However, once your 'connected' trying to neglect or weaken that connection becomes almost impossible. What would you do with no internet connection for a week at a time? or no computer? or no cell phone? These tools become a part of you and your life, it becomes harder to live without them the more that you imerse yourself in them. My laptop's hard drive went, and im used to being able to take the laptop all over the house with me, so i can surf, be on macrumors and chat, now im tied to a desktop in my bedroom if i want to be online and such.

its something to ponder, but i think everything in moderation is the best way to go.....(i know im not an example, but i try)