life left in the G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by applecrag, May 10, 2005.

1. applecrag macrumors regular

hey. how much longer do yall think is left in the life of the powermac G5 before it is upgraded again or is severely obselete? just wondering.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Upgraded: 1 yearish.
    Obsolete: 4 to 5 yearsish for the top of the line.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which PowerMac G5? You mean the G5 chip as a whole being obsolete? Or your/a particular G5?

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I was also confused by your question.

To answer your question:

PowerMacs were just updated. There probably won't be updates until late this year or next year. What's wrong with the current models?

5. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

Nothings wrong with the current models...i just wanted to know how much i could expect from my new dual 2 ghz before it starts to slow.

6. applecrag thread starter macrumors regular

sorry. i meant the G5 chip as a whole.

7. zach macrumors 65816

zach

The chip as a whole is hardly obsolete.

Unless Apple decides to call their version of the 980 a G6, we'll see the G5 for 4 more years at the least. Remeber how long the G4 lasted as the top end...

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well considering the G5 line isn't quite Apple's primary chip in their computers, I'd say it'll be around for quite a while. Heck, it's not even that old. It's almost 2 years old.

I'd say it'll be the "premier" chip until 2008 at least..

9. Uma888 macrumors 6502

if the g5 isnt apple's primary chip what is? :eek:

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

The G4. I think he meant to say that the G4 used in more models then the G5 is.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The G5 chip won't slow down. I have a G4 that is four and a half years old, no change in speed.

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

the g5 will be here for awhile... its just how long is the question.. the thing with the powerbook g5.. i dunno... i don't c that happening... perhaps a dual core g4 setup.. but not a g5.. it can be done... as they say... but i think the reality will be it won't...

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The G4. There are far more models with the G4 in it.
    The G5 is Apple's Premiere chip. There is a difference.

14. gate macrumors member

They still have an AGP slot. They don't have DDR2 RAM. I want a machine that I will be able to keep up-to-date in the future. In 2 years from now, the latest video card won't work in an AGP slot. That's bad. When you pay such a price for a top of the line machine, you expect that machine to be still upgradable 2 or 3 years after you bought it.

I'm waiting for the next revision. or I will simply buy the best iMac and buy a new one in 3 years.

15. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

well i dont plan on buying another cpu for another 4 years. by then i hope the G6 is out :)

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have a circa-1995 Power Macintosh 7500. It has a 250MHz G3 (you can go up to an 800MHz G4,) 512MB of RAM, a 120GB hard drive, USB, FireWire, Radeon 9200 graphics, and is running OS 10.3.9. That's a 10 year old computer, running 'up to date' software at perfectly reasonable speeds. I imagine that AGP video cards, and DDR1 RAM will remain on the market for years to come, just for upgrades. (PCI video cards have been 'obsolete' since 1999, yet they're still available. The 7500's processor slot has been phased out since the beige G3 was introduced in 1998, yet there are still upgrades for it.)

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Technically, the G5 wont go obsolete - if you get a new G5 and never open it and wait 10 years, you'll still have a working computer.

Do you mean to say, "When will the G5 become a computer that is not good compared to the computers around it?," I assume about 4 years. In 2009, the PowerMac G5 will be slower than new computers, and OS X 10.5 or 10.6 or OS 11 will be out...