Life on Mars

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a couple of months late coming but... Is anyone watching this drama? In my little opinion this is the greatest show on TV at the moment, but then when you do expect from BBC Wales (Doctor Who) and Kudos (Spooks)?

If you haven't seen it yet then shame on you! There's only about 2 more episodes left in this series!

So any more fans? Any speculation to what's going on... whether Sam lives or dies?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Been watching it from the beginning and it is GREAT. Consistently great. One of the few things on TV actually worth watching, licence payers money well spent.

3. dcv macrumors G3

Oh thanks for reminding me that it's on tonight - I forgot all about it last week :(

Indeed it is a very good series... it's one of the few things I actually bother to watch on TV other than news and comedy.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Anything with John Simm in is always worth a look. I haven't managed to catch much of this series, but what I have seen I have enjoyed.

5. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

It is great, but I wish they would do a bit more with the whole time travel thing. Just think what you could do with the knowledge of today back in 1973, the possibilities are endless. Less 70's cop show and more sci-fi would be good for me.

6. dcv macrumors G3

Not for me, thanks... If it were sci-fi I definitely wouldn't be watching it!

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There was a show on the BBC years back, starring a guy that used to be in Eastenders before that, and in this show he was a cop with a time machine...it wasn't all that great. I like my Life on Mars just the way it is :D

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Fair enough, each to there own. Maybe I'm the only one who wouldn't just go straight back to work as if nothing had happened if I were to be transported back to 1973 (all be it in this case in his sub conscious).

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, they're starting filming the second series this April, so I reckon Sam won't be dying just yet.

Personally, I think it's great but then I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. :p

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Brilliant series - my housemate and I are totally hooked. Glad there will be a second series too....
    Hopefully the whole "is he in a sort of coma/is he really in the past" question gets answered at some point.

It also helps that I find the WPC strangely attractive :D

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye the actors are just perfect in it. John Simm is amazing, and his boss (can't remember his name) work so well together.

Y'know a few weeks ago I was saying to my dad that it's a shame they couldn't do a second series. God knows how they're going to play it. But I trust them- excellent actors and excellent backstage team.

12. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Yeah! The Chemistry between Simm (Sam) and Glenister (Gene) is fantastic! I like all the detailed touches, like Sam not being able to remember the old caution. Plus, Liz White (WPC Annie Cartright) is hot!

Nah, the bit I really don't get is the flashbacks/dreams of the woods and Test Card girl Carole Hersee*. Is it a childhood friend that was killed or went missing in 1973? What is the significance?

I wish they wrote it so you (the audience) don't know if he is in a coma, wen't back in time or actually a 1973 cop that is a bit mental. As it is written, it seems fairly clear that he is in a coma.

It looks like they had great fun filming these episodes - I'd love to see some of the out-takes!

*obviously it isn't Carole but a young actor that looks like she did in 1967 - anyone know who it actually is?

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I really don't know! I doubt it's going to be as black and white as him in a coma. especially if there's a series 2 planned. not if the twists and turns of the new Doctor Who and Spooks are anything to go by... it's going to be very smart how all this plays out.

I don't think he's a 1973 detective who's a bit mental though; just that in episode 1 he wanted his "mobile phone" (Mobile what? :D ).

Notice how his dad has a strange sort of mentioning. You never really see him and Sam always talks about him in a respectful way. I think that the flashbacks are related to his dad, maybe his dad was murdered and the police couldn't do much. so he's gone back (in a coma or magically in time) to sort out the police, to make sure it doesn't happen again?
    In one episode his boss guy says "you requested to be sent here". perhaps Sam has built up the knowledge of stopping his dads murder now so his subconscious wants to go back? maybe...

The test card girl is spooky though. I get chills when she's on! with that haunting voice and all.

Tonights episode looks very good. I find that the "next week" bit at the end of each episode throws the viewer off a bit. I don't like spoilers but can safely watch them bits because they're making you see something that isn't going to happen, or at least how you think it'll play out.

yea :)

14. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Matthew Graham (one of the writers) also wrote "The Last Train", a mini-series about a group of people cryogenically frozen when a scientist couldn't get to a bunker in time to avoid the nuclear holocaust. And don't forget Hustle (made by Kudos and shares two of the same writers). I'm looking forward to Hustle returning to the screen :D.

Yea, that is pretty much what I thought about the girl. I reckon Sam knows the girl in red and the reason for choosing 1973 specifically is so he can "solve" this crime in his subconscious.

15. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I remember when the BBC was running their ads before it started and I didn't think much of it

However once I had seen the first episode I was also hooked. Its interesting to see how the police style has changed over time and how Sam who is from the present has to adapt to the 70's way. I love the storyline and overall its a great program

16. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I was in Manchester last summer when they were filming this. They cut off parts of Tib Street (however you spell it) and magically transformed it all back to the 70's. even had a 70's bus in the background... though I haven't seen that in shot yet.

This last episode was very good :) The bit at the end... with the superintendent guy. got my blood boiling. I missed out next weeks preview altogether.

17. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Is normally great. Tonight's wasn't fantastic but was good. Love the way they make out that the police today is so straight and narrow but back in the 70s it was all corrupt!

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I even ended up buying a CD of 'Sweet' because it was in the show - glam rock - bless.

19. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I thought that the bit with the sister, where she basically goes "I trust the police." was golden. Funny that now the police are probably much more trustworthy but the public are much less trusting of them.

What are your best moments and one-liners?

One of my favourites is when Sam first arrives at the station, looks at his desk and says "Where's my P.C?" and someone responds "Uh, P.C. who?".