Life or something like it...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EvilDoc, Mar 19, 2007.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Well i have a basic question for all who may read this. I hope every one can put there 2 cents in. Well, im 26 yrs old not married and working for a bank doing tech support, and i often think to myself is this all that i can expect from life? or should i be further along? I just have a feeling that im at a dead end. To those of you that are older then me how did you feel at my age? And to those around my age, do you feel like you are where you should be in life? I had a crappy day at work today and i just got to thinking so please chime in ;). Everyone has that friend who turned into a complete loser and i wonder if they every thought to them self "if i dont do something soon im gonna be a loser"... Am i at that point? or is this normal?
    I am in school and i do consider myself a inteligent person but i feel like i am just going thru the motions.

ps, its been along day so any comments on grammer or spelling may push me right over the edge ;)

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

dont worry..keep your head up...get a woman it will change EVERYTHING! for the better..if you live by yourself..remember this....the human was meant to be by himself..i do not know much about you and i am only 18...but i live in a house with my room mate and we have almost no money and we are happy....we have a hell of a time... just get a companion.....someone to call your girl...my opinion i hope you take my advice though...oh and buy a motorcycle they kick arse:D :cool:

3. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Further along on your way to what? It really depends on what you want out of life, and what goals (if any) you've set for yourself.

There is no rulebook spelling out a specific age at which everyone must be married, have kids, and move into middle management. You need to think about what you ulitmately want in life, think about whether or not you are on the right path to meeting that goal, and make your decision accordingly.

You're only a "loser" if you have specific goals, and have done nothing to achieve them. If you have no goals, and simply experience whatever life has to offer, you are not a loser. If you're working a boring job to earn money for school so you can get a better job, you're not a loser -- you're (hopefully) enduring a necessary hardship in order to succeed at what you want to do.

Now get some sleep, wake up in the morning, and enjoy our beautiful Phoenix weather. :cool:

4. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I think i should give a little more info about myself. Like i said im 26 and i was in the Navy for 6yrs. I was a medic in iraq and served with the Marines. Its hard for me, considering i was responsible for saving lives and limbs. I helped plan combat missions... Now i work at "The Bank" and i answer to some ass, who never listens to what i say but rather waits for her turn to talk. Its like pulling teeth just to get a day off, if i didnt know better i would think they shut down the bank when i am not there ( kidding of course ). Its not a pay issue or anything like that, i just remember looking at my friends while i was in the service and now it seems that i have fallen into line with them.. Not to say they are loser but.. I was a medic which is a skill i will never use again, 6yrs and now im starting over from ground zero...

I don't want to sound like life is picking on me, thats not how i feel. I just really dont know what i personally need to do to get ahead in life. I have always believe that if your boat doesnt come in swim out to it, but i dont wanta drown in the process.

5. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

man this is just me.... **** the past...forget it....make a future...do something outrageous....its up to you...you can be boring.....and normal...or you can be who you are...and be happy...do what you feel like doing...maybe not the best advice to make things go smoothly...but i always thought that when you do what you want from the start it feels better..im no expert on life though:rolleyes: i mean what we live to 70...90 if your LUCKY and then die..and that whole 40 50 year gap..you work your arse off and for WHAT!! not a *** damn thing...just to eat and spend money..... do what you want..maybe your not that extreme..maybe its nto the answer you were looking for but...do what you WANT to do....for you

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

So what are you currently going to school for?

And there's no way for you to use your medic training to help you pursue a career in medicine? (Assuming you would want to do that?)

Most of us have to endure one or two terrible bosses in our lives. If you don't think you can find a way to tolerate this person, you should try to change things for the better. Can you transfer to another branch?

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

We all get crappy bosses and jobs we hate, it's life. Find something that you want to do, not what anyone expects you do (or to follow some unwritten expectations about life, marriage etc.).

In order to find something that you want to do, sometimes you gotta deal with the bull s*** before it.

Lots of luck to you sir. Thanks for serving and fixing up our men and women of the Armed Forces (U.S.) Hope they get all you guys out of there soon.

8. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Im currently in school for computer science, not very far along tho. And i couldn't do medicine any more, i seen enough blood an guts for a couple life times. I feel like i made a huge mistake by doing that. But like you said im not a negative person, but i feel like hell but they time i finish school i will be pushing 30 ( not that 30 is old ) but then again i gonna start all over.. Its like a endless loop.. have you ever seen office space? thats how it feels ( ok not really but you get the point )

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Do you remember what Peter did though? He worked through the BS to figure out what he really wants to do in order to be happy.

Yeaaaaaaaaa, I'm gonna need you to come in on Sunday too.

10. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

.....HILARIOUS MOVIE....i dont know how anyone can accept just living in a house and going to work for the rest of your life.... but everyone is different eh

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

quit your job and see the world!

No wife, no kids, nothing tying you down!

12. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

GO BACK IN !

I did 6 years in the NAVY too. I could have gone back in when I was 26, but like an idiot, I stayed out with dreamy aspirations. Now I'm way too old to go back in and I have to worry about my future. Had I stayed in and finished out my 20, I wouldn't have these worries I have now. :(

I highly suggest you go see your nearest recruiter and get back in. Civilian life sucks big time. :cool:

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I was going to make the same suggestion as MacDrive, which is go back in. Although going back in would probably mean going back.

As for the medical school thing, it might make sense for you to do it but specialize in something else. Pediatrics perhaps. Yeah, there will still be a bit of blood but it will give you a purpose.

Finding a girl is another improvement to your life. Get a hobby that you like that involves other people. Its a good way to meet women.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Well I think a lot of people feel that way to an extent. Keeping in mind that your job is not the lump sum of who you are. That said, it might be worthwhile looking into a career change, because it seems you're dissatisfied. In the meantime, just make the job more useful - as in your means to do things that you actually want to do in your spare time.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry, OP. I can relate a bit to what you've expressed (minus the accomplishments you've acheived, mind you) so I don't have anything to offer you other than, there are others who feel similarly.
    Wow. Really fantastic words to read... thanks, you two. :eek:

16. shecky Guest

shecky

i did that for a number of years and let me tell you - stop.

decide what you want to do, what you want to try to do, what you think you might like to do, what you think would be interesting to think about trying to do, and as Nike says: Just do it. and by "do" i don't mean a job, i mean whatever it is. hobbies, travel, companionship, whatever. for me it was deciding to go back to school for what i actually wanted to do, which i did, and now life is about a billion times better than it was 10 years ago.

just do it.

17. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

ahhh shecky you never sieze to amaze me..you always put a smile on my face =-)

18. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I appreciate all the advice given so far. I think i need to just buckle down and get thru school, i may even quit my job and find something part time. If i work part time it would allow me to finish school quicker.

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Really important, I think.

You must define your job and not allow your job to define you. If you're in a situation where you're passively receiving your employment (without an active way to shape that experience), you're probably going to be miserable. At least, I would be miserable. No better time to look for another job than when you already have one. And no better time to take risks in reshaping your current job than when you're actively looking for another job.

Which I 'spose sounds cliche, and maybe it is. But ... when I was 26, I knew, because of a variety of circumstances, I was in a temporary job. And it was one of the few things that made my job liveable. You'll have other jobs, other bosses -- you have to make the most of where you are, even if you feel like it's not much right now.

It seems to me you've got a bit of culture shock going on right now, too -- shifting from a job that had self-evident responsibility into a job that seems almost abstract in its results/impact. I wonder what you can do -- in work or outside of work -- to make yourself feel more indispensable -- to your boss, your organization or your community?

It's hard when everything seems like it's defined by lack. You've gotta make the meaning you find, though.

All best.

ps: Are you really evil?

20. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I meant to reply to thread a lot earlier but as life would have it, I forgot about it. Heh.

I really liked all the comments people had made in this thread, some of them I've already heard from co-workers and such.

The company I work for pays very well, but the skills required by it are hardly transferable. Globally we have at the most 3~5 competitors.

We were recently bought out and turned into a private company and the new president decides to move our department, the most important department of the company to san Diego about 600 miles south of where we are currently located. I had overheard one of my co-workers who has been with the company longer than I've been alive said something to the effect of, I don't know where else I could work and if I do decide to go somewhere else I'm likely to see a huge pay cut.

Our jobs are not the lump sum of who we are. I'd hate to be that age and feel bound by my job, and not know where I could go next if anything were to happen.

The way they broke the news to us was reminiscent of American Idol, half of us went into one room the other in the next. They told one room, you will lose your job by the end of this year, and then the other room they offered the possibility of relocating.

A lot of people felt betrayed by the company, and a lot felt rejected.

I felt betrayed by the company and was like ugh, I actually liked my job. My co worker came up to me and told me that same thing, "Nate, don't let this job define you." I'm the youngest employee here and a lot of advice I've gotten was to just go back to school.

I don't want to feel like this is a dead end, but the people who've been here 25+ years make it seem like one.

The only reason I think I'm enjoying it is because I'm young and the money is good, but after all that… theres really no where else I could go with these skills.

Sorry, I don't know where I was really going with this! But I decided to go that same route and eventually try to find a part time job and go to school full time.