Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I was waiting for the Nuud to come out for the 6S and I got tired of waiting so I bit the bullet and got the Fre - which I preferred looks-wise but was weary after reading some negative reviews regarding the sound quality of phone calls and the so-called cheap plastic screen protector.

I received the Fre today and did the water submerging test (passed with flying colors). Next I prepared to place my 6S into the case.

I cleaned my screen thoroughly (with cloth and packing tape to remove any dust/dirt/lint on the screen) and I did the same thing with the inside of the plastic screen protector of the Fre case (using tape is the trick to guarantee no residue between the screen protector and your iPhones screen).

The phone fit perfectly and looked great. While there was the rainbow-like rings in certain spots of the screen.....you really can not tell when your screen is lit. It's inly visible when the screen is dark. So no biggie there for me. It sat nice and flat with the iPhone screen and the Retina display looked great and unaffected to my eye.

Next I placed several calls with the speaker phone on and off. Since I've heard many complain about the call quality sound issues I was a bit nervous because up to this point I loved everything about the Fre case and was hoping that this would not be a deal-breaker for me having to return the case.

Fortunately this was a non-issue. The sound was great on both ends and neither myself of the person in the other end had difficulty with the sound. I was expecting some sound degradation since it was a waterproof case but there was hardly any loss of sound, much to my surprise.

Kudos to Lifeproof for a top-notch case. It is slim, stylish, waterproof, drop-proof, rugged and kick-ass in every way possible. I highly recommend the Fre case - even more so than the Nuud.

My advice is to purchase directly from LP because they have the latest versions and revisions of these cases that addresses some of the common problems most often reported. Certain retailers like Best Buy or Amazon may have older versions that may have some issues like poor sound on calls, small charging port door, etc.

But the NUUD CASEEEE :(

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I just purchased the frē for 6/s plus and put it on and I like it. I'm not worried about sound because my iPhone is always on silent/vibrate because I have a Watch. It's very slim and I'm quite surprised by the responsiveness of the membrane that covers Touch ID. Screen protector feels nice and the case feels good overall. I really can't complain about it being wide as its a very protective case that puts otterbox defender to shame. I really like the thinness and rubbery texture of the sides. Really nice.

Reactions: HickDead

magicpinkdrink

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
Michigan
My local Target had the Lifeproof Fre cases in the original 6 series colors on clearance for 1/2 price today ($39.99). I have a 6s, and all the printed packaging said for iPhone 6, but there was a sticker on the top corner that said "For iPhone 6/6s". Since it said on the package it was compatible, and I couldn't beat a half price Lifeproof case, I decided to risk it not fitting and having to return it. It fits perfectly, and the "power pink" color makes the bits of rose gold kind of "pop" a bit.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
My local Target had the Lifeproof Fre cases in the original 6 series colors on clearance for 1/2 price today ($39.99). I have a 6s, and all the printed packaging said for iPhone 6, but there was a sticker on the top corner that said "For iPhone 6/6s". Since it said on the package it was compatible, and I couldn't beat a half price Lifeproof case, I decided to risk it not fitting and having to return it. It fits perfectly, and the "power pink" color makes the bits of rose gold kind of "pop" a bit.

Congrats on a good deal for a good case. The 6s is my 3d phone to wear a Fre.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
10 days later I'm still super impressed with the Fre case. IMO what separates this "proof" case from others is the slim form factor and super light weight.

I've owned multiple rugged and non-rugged iPhone cases throughout the years (way too many to count) and I can honestly say that this Fre case is my favorite by a long margin. I will never slap on another case on my iPhone but Lifeproof from now on. If Target is indeed selling them for $40....then it's really a no-brainier. I might pick one up for a family member or as a backup case.

Update: still not a single issue regarding the screen protector and sound quality and clarity.

dapope

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
Thinking about the Fre for my 6 plus. Is it REALLY that much wider than my current case which is the speck grip? Also how much more weight does it add? Again comparing it with the grip case. Thanks!

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I actually repurchased the free (gotta love amazon price match)...however, I am returning it today. The screen protector is absolute garbage. There is a noticeable gap between the protector and the screen.

Going to put a glass screen on (Spigen) and figure out the case issue

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I actually repurchased the free (gotta love amazon price match)...however, I am returning it today. The screen protector is absolute garbage. There is a noticeable gap between the protector and the screen.

Going to put a glass screen on (Spigen) and figure out the case issue

You might have gotten a bad one.
I don't have any gaps at all on the screen protector. An improvement from previous cases.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
My local Target had the Nuud iPhone 6 Plus case for a whopping $21 on repackaged clearance.
Even the color I wanted, white (Avalanche?)
Everything looked brand new, the Touch ID sticker was still in place.
The only thing missing was the cleaning cloth.

I have the iPhone 6S Plus, my wife the 6 Plus so I could use it for either one.
I was able to snap all sides fairly easy on my 6S Plus.
It was weird, the first attempt looked like there would be no way. Maybe you have to line up the camera just so.

My only issues so far...

Tinny audio out, which is to be expected.
Screen edge accessibility:
Swiping up to get the control center is not so instant, especially when not on the home screen.
3D Touch to switch apps doesn't seem to work.
I am guessing the Nuud's seal is inching over those zones.

Other then that, it was worth it to use for a case when cycling or rainy days.

Last edited:

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
You might have gotten a bad one.
I don't have any gaps at all on the screen protector. An improvement from previous cases.
I returned it and went back to my CS Grip with tempered glass. Not waterproof but overall very happy since the feel of the screen is so much better.

Reactions: dennisjr631

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I worry about those three raised plastic pieces on the back shell scratching/damaging the finish on back of the iPhone.

Anyone had this problem?

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
The latest version of the fre still have the nasty oil slick/rainbow marks under the plastic screen protector?

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I just purchased the new Nuud for the 6s+ which was released around the 12th. It has fixed all of my complaints about my previous nuud case: control center is easier to access as bottom has lower areas to swipe on both sides and camera from lock screen is super accessible.
Also the sound quality and distortions are fixed quite noticeably. The Touch ID area is larger, as is the charging door which allows for non apple chargers to be used in the Lightning port.
The dongle it comes with is no longer round wired, it is the newer flat style of wires used in headphones like beats.
Overall; very impressed with the redesign.

Reactions: kgenova

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
The newton rings are not visible when using the phone. They use to bother me but I got use to them. I was surprised when the 6s model didn't have them.

Shawn9987

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2016
Can someone tell me how u clean inside of this case? I took mine off forgot set finger print on it, accidentally dropped it and I get it clean but soon as I step outside its covered in lint and dust.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Can someone tell me how u clean inside of this case? I took mine off forgot set finger print on it, accidentally dropped it and I get it clean but soon as I step outside its covered in lint and dust.

dawn and hot water let it dry then blow any dust off with compressed air / microfiber cloth

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I just got an email telling me the Nuud for 6S is available....only in black and only on their website...but that will change in a few weeks, I figure.

Reactions: violetjune

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
The dongle it comes with is no longer round wired, it is the newer flat style of wires used in headphones like beats

Are you sure about this? I called LP and according to their CS they said the wire is still round. Weird. Can you post pictures of the newer flat wire and pictures of the larger Touch ID opening. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Are you sure about this? I called LP and according to their CS they said the wire is still round. Weird. Can you post pictures of the newer flat wire and pictures of the larger Touch ID opening. Thanks.
Here are some photos highlighting the changes in design. The Touch ID field is bigger than the home button, it was near exact on the previous design. Also the bottom of the screen lines up a little below the bezel so CC is easier to access and the camera too.

On the bottom the port door has changed with the port getting wider and taller, and the door membrane is secured much better to the door itself. The back has changed where the logo is now imprinted in the rubberized part.
The headphone adapters can be compared side by side in the pics, the longer of the two is the old one.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    599.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    479.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    959.8 KB · Views: 160

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Here are some photos highlighting the changes in design. The Touch ID field is bigger than the home button, it was near exact on the previous design. Also the bottom of the screen lines up a little below the bezel so CC is easier to access and the camera too.

On the bottom the port door has changed with the port getting wider and taller, and the door membrane is secured much better to the door itself. The back has changed where the logo is now imprinted in the rubberized part.
The headphone adapters can be compared side by side in the pics, the longer of the two is the old one.

So it looks like they fixed the dreaded lightning port cover!! How does it close now?? A big clasp now?

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
So it looks like they fixed the dreaded lightning port cover!! How does it close now?? A big clasp now?
I closes a lot tighter. Before there were two clips on each side to hold it. Now it's one big clip on the clasp, make a deep sound when it clicks in. It fits my super thick Chinese lightning cable by the bed perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.