Life support to give another life

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jun 16, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Another kind of twist to the life support discussion.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The human incubator... I'm actually OK with keeping someone alive in the short-term in order to save another life. In this instance, I'd question the viability of the child. Even if she makes it to 25 weeks, the baby is going to be incredibly premature and face more serious problems in life than not having a mother. But I can understand that in the face of losing a relation suddenly, you cling to any hope that part of them can survive.

The other scenario in which I'd say it was OK to keep someone alive is for organ donation until the transplant patient can be located and brought to the hospital. My next of kin are aware that should anything happen to me that causes brain death my organs are to be donated and I'm not to be kept alive by false means except to aid that.
  3. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Right.... I seriously have no idea how I feel about this. If it were only a few days or weeks, then I'd have no objections... but 25 weeks is a long time.

But 20 weeks (pregnancy) is also a long time...

I'd feel bad either way. So, actually I do know. But it's all just confusing.
  4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    tough one.
    complicated by the fact that melanoma is one of the few examples of cancer with documented fetal metastasis (the most common one, in fact, and it's untreatable).
    if the cancer is metastatic and it has spread to the placenta, than they are insane (especially the doctors). the risk is just too high.
    If the child were to develop melanoma... brrr. I wouldn't want to be in any of that family's shoes. there is nothing worse than your child having cancer, and the idea that you might be somehow responsible would be unbearable.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    This has been done successfully before, that is keeping the mother on life support till the baby would be viable outside the womb. Like will be among the first for a woman with cancer. My prayers go out to the Torres family, may the pregnancy and birth be successful. Sounds as though the father will have a lot of family support. Hopefully the baby will be safe from the cancer. The hopeful part is that there isn't direct contact of the mother's and babies blood supply. Nature has set up a very protective system. Doctors will hold out as long as possible till doing a C-Section.
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm just glad it wasn't me who had to make the decision. I don't know enough about medicine yet (give me three more years) but I'm assuming the surgeons know what they're doing and they know there's only a small chance the baby will be damaged in any way in which case I don't really have a major problem with it.
  7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    if the tumor has metastasized to the placenta, the chances that the fetus will develop the (lethal) disease are high. If she doesn't have distant metastasis than the numbers would be good. One must assume the doctors there know what's best.